Nice Rich Stout.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
funny, i just picked up a dark ale kit from my local coles, they had it on clearance for 8.49.. might go by my other place and grab sp,e fuggles and a brewmaster stout to toucan it with.. maybe even 500 of dex to up the alc a lttle ;)

Yeah the 2 cans of stout can be a bit bitter. It's OK if you like that but I find using a dark ale with the stout mellows it without the need for long storage.
I suppose you could always go 2 stouts and 1 dark ale...that'd be interesting. :p

FazerPete,
I took your lead on the stout toucan after reading one of you posts a while ago.
I have done a couple of toucans in the past (wander draught and larger was the last, not too bad either) so was expecting a bit of a fast start to the ferment along with a bit of a mess out of the airlock, so I normally try to sit the fermenter in a tray to catch any overflow.
However I was not prepared fort he rather violent start I got to the following mix up:

Coopers Stout
Coopers Dark ale
600 grms brown sugar
500 grms dried corn syrup
both yeast packs.

I brewed this up in a morgans fermenter (it has a press on lid a bit like a tupperware container not a screw lid like the coopers), and being aware that the start can be a bit hard I removed the airlock and replaced it with a a length of transfer hose and a 2 litre bottle half full with water.

Well the morning after puting this down I walked into the laundry to see the fermenter blown up like the Good year Blimp, WTF
(there was that much foam on top of the brew that it had partially blocked the airlock tube)
I decided to relieve a bit of the pressure before it exploded all over the laundry (the boss would not be happy). :(
I gently eased the lid up to release the gas and OH ST****T!
This was not the smartest thing I have ever done, particularly in a clean work shirt, it was back to the the shower for a de-scunge and another quick visit to the wardrobe.
The fermenter has spent the last 12 day with 3 paving bricks sitting on top of it and an exclusion zone of 2 metres.
The ferment is almost finished now and going by taste from the SG sample it is showing great promise so I can't wait to get it into the keg and get stuck into it.

The best part of brewing (after the drinking) is the fun you can have experimenting, my next planned bit of excitment is going to be,
2 - cooper stout
2 - coopers dark ale
1 kg brown sugar
500 grms dcs
500grms dark malt extract
maybe some licorce essence
and 40grms fuggles.

I will brew this to 50 litres in a 60 litre fermenter
I am open to suggestions or comments on the above.
YAH GOTTA LOVE THIS HOBBIE. BREW ON :super:

that's an absolute classic. :D
Here's my toucan from last year - stout/dark & 500g brown sugar
It sounds like I came off lucky! Only a touch of mopping up.

IMG_2047crop.jpg

strange all these people getting such vigorous fermentation from stouts.

the twocan i did with 1kg of dark malt and fermented with s-04 never came near to spewing out the airlock. krausen only rose to maybe an inch or two...

strange all these people getting such vigorous fermentation from stouts.

the twocan i did with 1kg of dark malt and fermented with s-04 never came near to spewing out the airlock. krausen only rose to maybe an inch or two...
maybe it has to do with temps that people are fermenting at????? higher temps more vigerous fermentation? or maybe the quantity/quality of yeasts used?

one standard sachet of s-04 and fermented at ~20C

one standard sachet of s-04 and fermented at ~20C
ahhh there we have it. I think most people are using 2 packs of yeast. thus really vigerous fermentation. I could be wrong.

A couple of weeks ago I finished drinking the Northern Districts chocolate stout fresh wort....bloody hell that was very easy to drink. Didnt last long. :chug:
Cheers
Steve

Yea, very easy to drink!
I ended up grabbing another two of those double choc stout fresh worts, one fermenting now...

ahhh there we have it. I think most people are using 2 packs of yeast. thus really vigerous fermentation. I could be wrong.
Spot on Citymorgue2, I used both yeasts that came with the cans seems to have worked a beauty.
When I get some kits from the LHBS he often throws in an extra yeast as he reckons that some of the kit yeasts are out of date, and he always say's "throw in both yeasts", cant hurt and always get the brew of to a great start.
BEERS :super:

I brewed this up in a morgans fermenter (it has a press on lid a bit like a tupperware container not a screw lid like the coopers), and being aware that the start can be a bit hard I removed the airlock and replaced it with a a length of transfer hose and a 2 litre bottle half full with water.

Well the morning after puting this down I walked into the laundry to see the fermenter blown up like the Good year Blimp, WTF
(there was that much foam on top of the brew that it had partially blocked the airlock tube)
I decided to relieve a bit of the pressure before it exploded all over the laundry (the boss would not be happy). :(
I gently eased the lid up to release the gas and OH ST****T!
This was not the smartest thing I have ever done, particularly in a clean work shirt, it was back to the the shower for a de-scunge and another quick visit to the wardrobe.
The fermenter has spent the last 12 day with 3 paving bricks sitting on top of it and an exclusion zone of 2 metres.
The ferment is almost finished now and going by taste from the SG sample it is showing great promise so I can't wait to get it into the keg and get stuck into it.
That's the funniest thing I've heard in ages. :D I can just imagine black sticky goo flying all over the room! :lol: Must have been fun to clean it up?

I always go gladwrap on the fermenter now as it seems to cope much better that the lid/airlock. It might be worth a try on your planned super-brew.

That's the funniest thing I've heard in ages. I can just imagine black sticky goo flying all over the room! Must have been fun to clean it up?

I always go gladwrap on the fermenter now as it seems to cope much better that the lid/airlock. It might be worth a try on your planned super-brew.

Very good advice FP, will give the gladwrap a go next time, but the super brew only goes ahead under the strict instructions "your not doing that experimental sh*t in the house again" :angry:
So I will be moving the lab to the shed (renamed Igors cave) for the super brew, at least the shed wont be as hard to clean up.
BEERS

OH and BTW fazerpete. The hardest bit of the clean up was getting the black sticky goo out of my hair, the hotter I got the shower water the more it stuck to my hair, and there as no shampoo in the cupboard that would deal with this toffee crap, ended up cutting the last chunks of it out. Boy am I looking forward to doing that again ;) .

BREW ON :super:

OH and BTW fazerpete. The hardest bit of the clean up was getting the black sticky goo out of my hair, the hotter I got the shower water the more it stuck to my hair, and there as no shampoo in the cupboard that would deal with this toffee crap, ended up cutting the last chunks of it out. Boy am I looking forward to doing that again ;) .

BREW ON :super:
I suppose you could have soaked your head in napisan for a while. :D It works a beauty on the fermenter :p

I suppose you could have soaked your head in napisan for a while. :D It works a beauty on the fermenter :p
It keeps getting better, I'm cracking up here. :lol:
Didn't someone develop a beer shampoo recently?
Stout shampoo/conditioner could be handy if you're a goth! :super:

g'day

hmm love a good stout..
heres my 2 cents...
ingredients:
1.7 kg stout kit (i use morgans)
1.5 kg light dried malt
25 g fuggles @ 15 mins
10 g willamette @ 2-3 mins
specialty grains (steeped 30 mins)
150 g choc
150 g roast barley

yeast safale _04
got one fermenting at the moment
cheers simpletotoro

Pours with a rich fluffy head.

For a long term beer, i'd under prime this one. I primed with the correct amount and its just carbed nicely now. Might be a bit wayward after four or five months in the bottle.
hi this might help some others... i find i handy when bulk priming.
can't remember where i got... maybe... grumpys

amount of sugar for carbonation in relation to f.g

Final Gravity Grams
1006-1008 180g
1008-1010 160g
1010-1014 140g
1014-1018 120g
1019-1025 100g

cheers simpletotoro

g'day

hmm love a good stout..
heres my 2 cents...
ingredients:
1.7 kg stout kit (i use morgans)
1.5 kg light dried malt
25 g fuggles @ 15 mins
10 g willamette @ 2-3 mins
specialty grains (steeped 30 mins)
150 g choc
150 g roast barley

yeast safale _04
got one fermenting at the moment
cheers simpletotoro

This is the recipe I want to try.. just wondering how much of it you boil and how much water you steep your grains in?

This is the recipe I want to try.. just wondering how much of it you boil and how much water you steep your grains in?
hi...
i steep grains in about 3-4 litres of water (about 80.c though i'm told this temp isn't critcal) for 1/2 hour or so
then boil strained liquid for say 10 minutes before doing the hops ...i also add about 500 g LDM to to boil before adding the hops ...and just because i find it easier i dissolve all sugars in boil about 5 mins before the end then crash temp in chilled water bath ...

this link may also be useful..
http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...ic=14384&hl
cheers simpletotoro

I put down a stout today consisting of the following..

Coopers Stout Kit
500g Light Dried Malt
500g Dark Dried Malt
250gm Corn Sugar

Specialty Grains (cracked)
250gm Choc Malt
250gm Roasted Barley

Hops
Fuggles 10gm at 30 and 5.

Yeast Safale S-04.

Starting Gravity of around 1.055

should be good!

I put down a stout today consisting of the following..

Coopers Stout Kit
500g Light Dried Malt
500g Dark Dried Malt
250gm Corn Sugar
like your choice of fermentables might give this a burl soon as well ...please let me know how she pulls up..
btw i bottled mine on friday night ...geez it tasted good from the fermenter...
cheers simpletotoro

there is heaps of activity through the airlock.

Currently sitting at 20 deg. Its in a water bath to keep it warm (set at 20 degrees), but I turned off the heater and its still maintaining 18-20 degrees. So it should turn out well.

Latest posts

Back