Nice Rich Stout.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paleman

Reaction score
Heres a fantastic Stout, thats rich and creamy.

Coopers BrewMaster, Irish Stout.

Coopers BE2.

Half a kilo of Dark dried malt.

Half a kilo of Dex.

15 grams of Fuggles hops to finish. ( leave this out if you feel, i love hops )

Drinking this recipe now after two weeks in the bottle. Bloody bewdiful. Nice rich malty, coffee stouty taste.

Pours with a rich fluffy head.

For a long term beer, i'd under prime this one. I primed with the correct amount and its just carbed nicely now. Might be a bit wayward after four or five months in the bottle.

Its a quick, ready made, lovely Stout for winter.

Coopers BE2.

Half a kilo of Dex.

Drinking this recipe now after two weeks in the bottle. Bloody bewdiful. Nice rich malty, coffee stouty taste.

Pours with a rich fluffy head.

For a long term beer, i'd under prime this one. I primed with the correct amount and its just carbed nicely now. Might be a bit wayward after four or five months in the bottle.

Sounds good Paleman. :chug:

As a suggestion, try getting rid of the BE2 and Dex and tipping in a can of Dark Ale with it next time. I've tried this and it's just as quick and easy but comes out really thick and creamy and even maltier. Magnificent.

As a suggestion, try getting rid of the BE2 and Dex and tipping in a can of Dark Ale with it next time. I've tried this and it's just as quick and easy but comes out really thick and creamy and even maltier. Magnificent.

Your on the money FP.......do you add some nice earthy noble hops ?? Way to go i think :chug:

I'm pretty partial to the fuggles like you but I normally use 20g. :p

I've started drinking my ESB 3Kg stout (with 150g roasted wheat, WLP004 Irish yeast and 40g fuggles dry hopped...why not)...man, it is a smooth and tasty brew. Will be keeping this in a keg over the colder months.
IMHO I haven't come across a kit stout as good quality as the ESB 3Kg.
Cheers to you :beer:

I didn't realise you could use other kits instead of dex and malt etc. Sounds good!

Coopers BE2.
Half a kilo of Dex.

Sounds nice. Heres mine (posted it before). mix between coopers stout and a guinness. drinking at room temp to bring out extra caracteristics. realy nice.

Black rock miners stout
1.5kg light malt extract
0.5 dark malt extract
300g cracked roasted barley
10ml liquorice extract
20g Goldings hop pellets
2/3 bottling sugar

Going to tweak slightly for next brew:
Black rock miners stout or Muntons Export Stout
1kg light malt extract (liq or dry)
1kg dark malt extract (liq or dry)
0.2kg choc malt extract
0.5kg dried corn syrup
0.350kg cracked roasted barley
15ml liquorice extract
20g Goldings hop (finishing)
15g Willamette hops (dry hop)
safale or Muntons yeast
2/3 bottling sugar

Havent decided if I'll throw in some lactose to make it a mlik style stout or not. Probably wont on this batch. maybe down the track

IRONxMortlock - using 2 kits its called Toucan. type it in the search engine. theres heaps of threads on Toucan reciepes.

I didn't realise you could use other kits instead of dex and malt etc. Sounds good!
do a search for twocan or toucan, pleanty of info out there on using two cans instead of added sugers

EDIT: sorry CM2 didn't read your last post properly

A couple of weeks ago I finished drinking the Northern Districts chocolate stout fresh wort....bloody hell that was very easy to drink. Didnt last long. :chug:
Cheers
Steve

What's a good yeast to use. I thought of using W1084. But if a cheaper dried yeast will do the same job i'd be happy to use that too :)

What's a good yeast to use. I thought of using W1084. But if a cheaper dried yeast will do the same job i'd be happy to use that too :)

SO4, US56, Nottingham - they're all good.

SO4, US56, Nottingham - they're all good.
Just dont use a lager yeast. Steves suggestions are good. I suppose you could also go a nice liquid english yeast like Wyeast 1098 English Ale. but its about $15 @ my LHBS.

for a toucan i wouldnt bother upgrading yeast. just chuck in both packs.

my twocan coopers is a couple of weeks old now, tasted it the other day, but its still very harsh on the bitterness, but has a lovely malt taste.

two cans coopers stout
1kg dark dried malt
10ml liquid liquorice
s-04 yeast
dry hopped with 25g fuggles

nice and thick and flavoursome. just needs a while longer in the bottles to smoothen out that harsh bitterness.

my twocan coopers is a couple of weeks old now, tasted it the other day, but its still very harsh on the bitterness, but has a lovely malt taste.

two cans coopers stout
1kg dark dried malt
10ml liquid liquorice
s-04 yeast
dry hopped with 25g fuggles

nice and thick and flavoursome. just needs a while longer in the bottles to smoothen out that harsh bitterness.
Yeah the 2 cans of stout can be a bit bitter. It's OK if you like that but I find using a dark ale with the stout mellows it without the need for long storage.
I suppose you could always go 2 stouts and 1 dark ale...that'd be interesting. :p

Yeah the 2 cans of stout can be a bit bitter. It's OK if you like that but I find using a dark ale with the stout mellows it without the need for long storage.
I suppose you could always go 2 stouts and 1 dark ale...that'd be interesting. :p
drinking molasses! you'd have to take the water level up to about 30L surely? be an interesting experiment though. Or 1 stout, 1dark ale and 1 choc mahogany porter? mix things right up.

its not that its too bitter, personally i think the bitterness level is very nice. just that its still far too young for a stout. needs a fair bit longer in the bottle before i can accurately judge it.

Sounds nice. Heres mine (posted it before). mix between coopers stout and a guinness. drinking at room temp to bring out extra caracteristics. realy nice.

Black rock miners stout
1.5kg light malt extract
0.5 dark malt extract
300g cracked roasted barley
10ml liquorice extract
20g Goldings hop pellets
2/3 bottling sugar

Going to tweak slightly for next brew:
Black rock miners stout or Muntons Export Stout
1kg light malt extract (liq or dry)
1kg dark malt extract (liq or dry)
0.2kg choc malt extract
0.5kg dried corn syrup
0.350kg cracked roasted barley
15ml liquorice extract
20g Goldings hop (finishing)
15g Willamette hops (dry hop)
safale or Muntons yeast
2/3 bottling sugar

Havent decided if I'll throw in some lactose to make it a mlik style stout or not. Probably wont on this batch. maybe down the track

IRONxMortlock - using 2 kits its called Toucan. type it in the search engine. theres heaps of threads on Toucan reciepes.

Cheers!

Did a bit of reading about the Toucan and I might give it a try for the brew after next. Perhaps a Coopers Stout with a Dark Ale and 300g Dark Malt Extract. How's that sound?

Cheers!

Did a bit of reading about the Toucan and I might give it a try for the brew after next. Perhaps a Coopers Stout with a Dark Ale and 300g Dark Malt Extract. How's that sound?

Sounds delish !!!! :chug:

"Divorce Stout - Nothing else is this bitter." Can of Dark, a Can of Stout, Oats cooked with Saaz.
P6060039.jpg

P6060001.jpg

Latest posts

Back