Next Partial

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Will do guys .. thanks for that :p

Will see how it goes tomorrow evening.

So is around 11degC the optimal temp?

manaen said:

[post="61526"][/post]​

11 is spot on for that yeast according to the White Labs site.

manaen said:

[post="61526"][/post]​

Yep, 11C is good for that strain. Just remember that the yeast is adapting to the wort before it enters the full bore attenuative phase and hence the lag we all get between pitching and airlock movement. And its also worth noting that you won't get a hell of a lot of airlock action until the wort has sufficient CO2 buildup to allow the excess CO2 to be vented off the wort and into the fermenter headspace and hence displace the fluid in the airlock to cause the bubbling that we love to watch!

Cheers,
TL

Jovial_Monk said:
Hmmm, well, try it and see. But the Lyle one is lighter in color and body and is just invert sugar.

JM
[post="61488"][/post]​
I have (in an IPA) but I haven't used the Lyle so can't compare. Is the CSR not pure invert sugar?

Well I am still getting only 1 decent airlock bubble burst every few minutes, but when I checked it this morning it was on 7.5degC. I have adjusted the thermostat on my fridge so will see how it goes when I get home from work.

Well I am glad I waited, when I got home from work I opened the fridge to hear the magic sound of airlock activity!!!

There is a small krausen and it has dropped 3 points so far. After adjusting the thermostat it was sitting at a decent 12degC.

Never had a yeast take so long to start but she seems to be underway now :D

OK guys next drama,

Found out I have to go out of state for 3 weeks tomorrow night, took a reading today and it has dropped another 2 points.

Although this is going slow there is a nice krausen on the top of the fermenter.

Now if I was to drop the temp down to say 6degC do you think it will be safe to leave for 3 weeks. My theory is that it will continue to ferment slowly over the next 3 weeks.

The only problems I can see are .. it may ferment out before I can give it a diactyl rest, and it is a long time on the yeast cake.

What do you guys advise?

I would think that leaving the wort on th yeast cake for that long would not cause any adverse problems. Before I racked and had a fridge I used to leave my Ale in Primary for 3 weeks. Never had a prob, in fact they came out rather good.

In terms of what to do about the rest and CC'ing I am not sure. Yes I guess you could reduce the ferm temp and in affect stall the fermentation, then rouse the yeast and warm it up when you get back.

If possible it may be best just to have someone go raise the temp after 2 weeks (from pitching your yest) then 48 hrs later drop the temp for CC'ing. Hopefully the 2 weeks will be enough if not 48 hrs at say 20c should finish it off and then CC while still in primary.

Latest posts

Back