Next Ag Brew - Dr Smurto's Golden Ale Or Tony's Ttle Creatures

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which do you prefer?

• Tony's Little Creatures Bright Ale Clone

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Dr Smurto's Golden Ale

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

neo__04

Reaction score
Hey all,

Just deciding which brew to make next. Going to make one of the top 2 recipies in the recipeDB.

To all those who have tried both... What do you choose?

Thanks heaps,

I can never make up my mind :p

What commercial version do you enjoy more?

And I can't see the 'get up early, do a double brew day and have both' option? :p

Thats the tough part, I like em both. Golden ale seems smoother, Bright ale seems hoppier, but both quite nice.

So im stumped :p

Disclaimer: I have not brewed either...

Though I have recently tried Smurto's latest version - with 22% rye and home grown chinook and A3K's version of the bright ale clone.

Both were fantastic but it may depend on where you tastes lie. The bright ale for an easy, clean drinking ale with a nice subtle hop edge or DSGA for something with a little more body, ester character and firm hop character.

Like I said haven't brewed either (am I the only one?), I suggest brew both - you can't go to far wrong (as long as everything else is up to scratch on the cold side), it's the only way to find out which you prefer :)

The docs brew is a winner and Tony's too, based on our fellow brewers opinions they are both gold :party:

Its a hard choice, i just went through same thing.
I will be bottling Tony's LCBAC in a few days - my first AG - looks great in the fermenter at the moment
I plan to do DSGA next brew..

Questions like this have "double brew day" written all over them.

Good luck what ever you decide.

Double brew day... Saying that though coming into summer a bright ale sounds luverly.

I haven't made tony's bright ale but i have made dr smurtos golden ale. It is guarranteed awesome in a bottle, in fact i'm drinking it right now. I bought some amarillo from hopsdirect for the sole purpose of making copious amounts of this recipe.

But i reckon you should buy youself a cube... and make both over the weekend.

And then make andrewqld coopers pale ale clone, which is the other beer that i always drink lots of.

I made tonys last year and it is an awesome beer!! i did a smurtos for my first ag but have not done one again i dont know why :wacko: but its in the to brew list same with tonys beer

I've tried to remain neutral. I've tried to avoid telling you just to make your own decision because it is YOU who has to be happy at the end of the day. But I'm getting dissappointed the way the election is going, so if I can't tell anyone how they should vote, then I'm telling you to brew the LCBA. The golden ale is great, but the bright ale (purely in my subjective, post-structuralist, post-modern overdetermined-from-without, object-relations, Lacanian symbolic perspective) is f*cking awesome.

I've tried to remain neutral. I've tried to avoid telling you just to make your own decision because it is YOU who has to be happy at the end of the day. But I'm getting dissappointed the way the election is going, so if I can't tell anyone how they should vote, then I'm telling you to brew the LCBA. The golden ale is great, but the bright ale (purely in my subjective, post-structuralist, post-modern overdetermined-from-without, object-relations, Lacanian symbolic perspective) is f*cking awesome.

HAHA this is gold! I done a extract of LCBA today wish I had the time and gear to put down the AG version but short on both and need to wack out few brews fast, plus need to use my 15kg of LDME and 20kg dex up

I had mates come around to my house on Saturday to organize our 20 year reunion of a trip around OZ we did.

One of the guys didn't know I brewed.( don't see that much of him these days )

Talk about stoked!!!

He was in shock when he saw the kegerator and kegs etc.......then when I told him the beer he was drinking was made by me in the backyard he was almost having coniptions.

We started on Nicks 20 lt 30 buck lager......then moved onto Dr Smurto's JSGA .
I love both of them.

I couldn't get rid of them at the end of the night.

so to answer your question ......flip a coin make one, then next time make the other.

Since I started doing the AG BIAB I have not had a bad beer.
My mates think I am a genius.
understandable .

They're both great, so you cant lose. Many on here dont like Amarillo though. There was a poll about 'why dont you like amarillo?' or something similar. I voted for Tony's purely for nostalgic reasons, was my first AG after joining this site. Therefore it was my first 'real' AG. - prior to joining it was a few notes from an old brewer, so brews were very hit and miss. Only was to know, is do them both. You'll be happy.

Latest posts

Back