Newtown Best Pub?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PostModern

Iron Wolf Brewery
Reaction score
Help me AHB brethren! I am meeting someone in Newtown tonight and will have a few hours to kill before the gig we're going to starts. Want to have a few ales beforehand. What is the best place for a beergeek to drink in Newtown(NSW)? Would like to see what St Peters are up to, for instance, but don't want to stick my head into every pub to check their fonts.

I have < 2 hours before departing work. Hoping AHB can rescue me!

There's plenty of good pubs, but if you're after nice beer, unforuantely the options are few.

Sandringham hotel has a decent selection of beers on tap. A St Peters House lager, Murray's Whale Ale and CDA, they do decent happy hour discounts too.. But the pub itself can be a bit seedy.
Coopers Hotel is quite nice upstairs.
Courthouse hotel on Australia st has a nice beer garden, as does the Carlisle Castle around the corner on probert st.
But, you'll be drinking pricey beer in bottles if you want anything fancier than JSGA or CPA at the above (or just any other pub for that matter)

Oh, The Hive (which is a bar, not a pub)in Erskineville has nice little seelction of beer on tap from St Peters brewery, at only $4.80 a schooner, as well as bottled beer from Redoak, as well. There was a thread on it in the review section not long ago...

The Bank hotel is pretentious and expensive, so is Zanzibar. Best to avoid these.

Cheers! The gig I'm going to is at the Sando, so I may as well just meet her there. Cheers bro!

Hey, thanks for the edit. I think I'll go to the Hive. Looks like only about 3 or 4 blocks to walk back to the Sando.

Yup, Newtown is dullsville for decent beer. The Hive is your best bet, and not far away at all.

I used to live around the corner from the Golden Barley. Quite a way from the main Newtown drag (so to speak), but they had St Peters Blonde and some awesome Malaysian food...and one of the best trivia nights in town to boot (Did I tell you the story of how I won the $1000 jackpot?)

They have the Squires Orchard Ale down at the Marly, Courthouse's Justice Ale isn't too bad a drop/

(Did I tell you the story of how I won the $1000 jackpot?)

Yes, yes you did :)

They have the Squires Orchard Ale down at the Marly, Courthouse's Justice Ale isn't too bad a drop/

Ended up going to the Hive, The E'ville Pils was cloudy and yeasty. Had a RedOak Heffe as well, and a Scharer's lager. Hmm.

Also popped into the Courthouse and missed the Justice Ale, just had a JSGA, which was still "meh, where's the hops?". Caught some Whale Ale at the Sando. Good gig, best of the three watering holes.

Caught some Whale Ale at the Sando. Good gig, best of the three watering holes.

Having lived in Newtown about 15 odd years ago (and I'm not far away even now), I'd say the Sando has managed to maintain some semblence of that Newtown vibe that was there then any many years prior. Can't believe what's happened to the Bank, sheeeeees.

Good call on the Barley Geoffi, loved the garden out the back and the food when my kids were little tackers, a bit too slick for us out the back now.

PostModern,
Bit late now, but maybe keep in mind for next time.

The Union Hotel, down on the intersection of Union St & King St, used to have Matt's St Peters Blonde & Killagh Stout on tap.
It is about 500m south of the Sando, toward St Peters.

It used to be my local at one stage.
I hope it still has tiles on the outside.

Rgds,
Pete

Latest posts

Back