Newby musings

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaythefordman

Reaction score
Looking to get into all grain brewing (from zero, why not?), and at this stage am pretty much tossing up between a Robobrew or Grainfather (depending on how full my wallet is at that point). Reasons being is that they are compact, simple, and offer enough control to make brewing most styles easy. I'm not that interested in big batches, happy with the 20-23L batched both offer, rather aim for variety than amount.

Anyway, I love to play with things mechanical and electrical, and along with being allergic to spending huge amounts of money I got to thinking. Google searching shows Braumeister clones and such, and this idea appeals. So, for those who have done this, my question is whether going down the path of building my own small scale electric setup is actually a realistic option and a worthwhile exercise given that off the shelf options are available?

Can always just buy a big pot and a burner and start with brew in the bag, work up from there as you get a better idea of what you want to do.

If you allergic to big hole in wallet check out the Guten, same as robo/GF just direct from china a good number of members have grabbed one, any issues have been dealt with quickly (only 1 or 2 that I've heard of), they have a 50L that to you door is under AU$1000 the 30L is cheaper again.
Good luck.

MJ

If you like tinkering, the tinkering is worth the self-build. However, brewing experience will keep you from making arse-about mistakes on the build, so Bonenose's advice is solid. I wouldn't say that building your own is a great way to save money, since we're buying parts at retail, but you will save some. It's damn good fun though! And, knowing your system from the parts up is a great way to suss out problems. However, the Grainfather looks like an awesome bit of kit, particularly with the wifi controller. Great for the time poor!

Can always just buy a big pot and a burner and start with brew in the bag, work up from there as you get a better idea of what you want to do.

True, but while I have considered that approach, I like the compactness of the GF style system plus the additional safety of going away from gas.

If you allergic to big hole in wallet check out the Guten, same as robo/GF just direct from china a good number of members have grabbed one, any issues have been dealt with quickly (only 1 or 2 that I've heard of), they have a 50L that to you door is under AU$1000 the 30L is cheaper again.
Good luck.

MJ

First I have heard of these! Interesting indeed. Will suss.

I started with a mates Robobrew earlier this year, had never done any brewing before, using a couple of off the shelf all grain recipes. Was a lot to learn but lots of reading and the forum for all my dumb questions and have managed to make some very good beer, no failures as of yet. As far as what to buy (Robobrew vs Grainfather vs Guten) that is something you will just have to research and work out for yourself. I have been happy with the results I have acheived using the Robobrew, I think it is a good, simple system. Only gripe would be temp control is little hit and miss, I have taken to brewing with a thermometer hanging in the mash to confirm temps and get good results.
I have recently purchased a Grainfather which I will use for the first time next week as I have to give back the Robobrew. Was a tough choice as to what to purchase but having used the Robobrew was keen to try something else, call it FOMO.

Back