Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gazza1055

Reaction score
Hi all my name is Gary i have been home brewing for a long time but never joined a brew forum. So please be gentle with me as this is my first time here. thanks gary.

G'day Gary welcome to the forum lots of great info and brewers and don't worry we were all newbies at one stage .

Hi all i have had a very bad last 2-3 weeks. I made a coopers lager ( I am only doing kit brews at the moment ) and i put it in a 18 Lt keg. beer was fine before it was transfered into the keg. Done a taste test 4 days later it was like drinking vinegar. So that went down the drain. Next my fridge said i am not working. Freezer not working it is having a meltdown. The bottom half of the fridge is freezing all the drinks. So in the mean time done a coopers Draught. So i was going to bottle it. while it was in the fermenter i had a look at the fridge. So i got it to work okay. I took the gamble and keg the draught instead of bottling it. I put it in the keg last Friday. Done a taste test yesterday so far all good was not happy with fridge so i went to my LHBS and brought a KK series 4 kegerator. I put it all together on Tuesday.The fridge must have been put together at the factory by a ten year old boy. You can see where they have drilled holes to put a bracket on and the drill slipped and marked the fridge at the back of the unit where the gas line goes threw it has a plastic bung you un screw ( any one who has one of these units will know what i am talking about ) when i unscrewed the bung it pulled the a white piece of plastic of with it and there was a big hole in the unit had to fix that. I am hoping to turn it on tomorrow and everything is good want to put the keg of draught in on Saturday and have a cold beer. Cheers for now happy brewing Gary

Not a good run, but these things do test us home brewers. The lager problem, do you thing the keg caused the off flavour or it was going that way?
Have you been back to the LHBS? Or just going to leave it.
In any event enjoy your cold draught on Saturday.

Hi Grott it did taste fine and smell okay before it went into the keg. the 5 five stubbies i got after i keg it were perfect i think it might have been a problem with the keg maybe not enough care in cleaning.I am going to give the LHBS a call tomorrow and see what he has to say. I dont think it will be a problem but i think the factory needs to take care when they put them together. Cheers Gary.

Hi all help needed i am trying to set the temperature on my kk4 kegerator i have look at the kks video but i am having a problem i put a bottle of soft drink in last night and today when i checked it it was frozen. Thanks Gary.

Hi all help needed i am trying to set the temperature on my kk4 kegerator i have look at the kks video but i am having a problem i put a bottle of soft drink in last night and today when i checked it it was frozen. Thanks Gary.
what does the temperature indicator on the front say?

Thanks Coodgee and Grott i have now set it on 2 degrees will let you all know how it goes. Happy brewing Gary.

G,day all since my last post i have had my kegerator set on 2 degrees no more freezing drinks. That is one problem solved the drink i did have in there did not taste cold enough to me i will have to reset the temp. I have not tried a beer in it yet. I will change it and see what happens. Cheers for now and happy brewing. Gary:cheers:

Last edited:
Have you got a thermometer you can put in there so you can establish inside temp vs the setting?
Ps alcohol will not freeze at 0, but will be cold.

Hi all i have put a thermometer in side and it is showing well below zero and the drinks are not freezing. Cheers Gary

Hi all. When i normally make a coopers kit to put into the keg i wait two days and transfer it from one FV into another FV and add Finings around 4 days later put it into the keg about a week later it is clear and good to drink my question is would i still get the same effect by not transferring into another FV add the finings after 2 days and keg it after 4 days will it be clear after about a week or will i have to transfer it to another FV. Happy brewing Gary.

If you are doing a straight Coopers kit, ie just the addition of an enhancer, sugar or malt then your doing to much IMO.
Ferment for 2 weeks and transfer to a keg. Chill keg when ready and carbonate. There is not much crap in a basic kit brew.
That said what is your recipe?

Hi to all long time since last post my beers are turning out great but for one problem my beer is kegged and when time comes to drink it i can taste the aluminum from the keg is there something i should do before the beer goes in the keg ( they are washed and cleaned) or is the taste normal i was thinking of buying 2 new 19lt kegs to see if the taste is any better if it is i will replace all my kegs. Thanks Gary happy brewing.

Latest posts

Back