Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are you using caustic to clean your keg or cip beer line/taps?

Hi all kegs are washed in bottle wash and then and then done in a phosphoric sanitiser from kk and the taps and shanks are ss

I'm pretty sure that it's near impossible to get metallic off flavours from ss. Could be the lines or manky, shank. I have heard that some people perceive carbonation as tasting metalic.

I have on a few occasions randomly got a metallic off flavor. But that hasn't been the case for a long time. Have you got multiple taps and lines? I would try switching to a freshly cleaned line and tap to see if there is any change.

Hi all kegs are washed in bottle wash and then and then done in a phosphoric sanitiser from kk and the taps and shanks are ss
Wait define bottle wash? If you are using PSR / chlorinated TSP there could be an issue with that

If you are still using Cooper's kits , or any other kits, your aluminium taste could be coming from their bittering agent. Try boiling the kit for 15min and adding some fresh hops. The boiling will evaporate the noxious bittering agent and the fresh hops will replace that flavour with something that tastes a whole lot nicer.

If you are still using Cooper's kits , or any other kits, your aluminium taste could be coming from their bittering agent. Try boiling the kit for 15min and adding some fresh hops. The boiling will evaporate the noxious bittering agent and the fresh hops will replace that flavour with something that tastes a whole lot nicer.
Bittering agent sounds kind of sinister lol

Bittering agent sounds kind of sinister lol
Yep, the law was changed, in Vic at least. The requirements to call a product 'beer' used to include 'hops'. It now reads 'hops and/or bittering agent' I have absolutely no idea who would lobby gov to make such a change (hello CUB)

Thanks for the replies I always flush my lines after i have finish drinking i clean the taps and lines with water pumped threw them. Thanks Gary.

Hi all i have had a very bad last 2-3 weeks. I made a coopers lager ( I am only doing kit brews at the moment ) and i put it in a 18 Lt keg. beer was fine before it was transfered into the keg. Done a taste test 4 days later it was like drinking vinegar. So that went down the drain. Next my fridge said i am not working. Freezer not working it is having a meltdown. The bottom half of the fridge is freezing all the drinks. So in the mean time done a coopers Draught. So i was going to bottle it. while it was in the fermenter i had a look at the fridge. So i got it to work okay. I took the gamble and keg the draught instead of bottling it. I put it in the keg last Friday. Done a taste test yesterday so far all good was not happy with fridge so i went to my LHBS and brought a KK series 4 kegerator. I put it all together on Tuesday.The fridge must have been put together at the factory by a ten year old boy. You can see where they have drilled holes to put a bracket on and the drill slipped and marked the fridge at the back of the unit where the gas line goes threw it has a plastic bung you un screw ( any one who has one of these units will know what i am talking about ) when i unscrewed the bung it pulled the a white piece of plastic of with it and there was a big hole in the unit had to fix that. I am hoping to turn it on tomorrow and everything is good want to put the keg of draught in on Saturday and have a cold beer. Cheers for now happy brewing Gary

Hey mate when a fridge or freezer does that defrost it for 24 hours, there's a build up of ice preventing air circulation hence cooling, try to do this every 6 months or so.

Hi all brewers i am thinking of having a go at extract brewing i have been doing kit beers for a long time i want to try something different. I just want to get some ideas of what equipment i need to buy and also ingredients and what is a easy one to make and how long does it take do do it what is a good yeast to use. Thanks Gary happy brewing.

Hi all brewers i am thinking of having a go at extract brewing i have been doing kit beers for a long time i want to try something different. I just want to get some ideas of what equipment i need to buy and also ingredients and what is a easy one to make and how long does it take do do it what is a good yeast to use. Thanks Gary happy brewing.
do you like dry hopped beers? or maybe dark ales?
my advice would be go to a partial grain first up, steep some crystal malt and then throw in a can and some malt extract, from that you can also steep some roasted barley to add amber/stoutish flavour depending how much you use, also consider dryhopping some new world hops if you like American IPA / summer/pacific type ales.

heres my staple amber/irish red ale for example.
Code:
13/04/2018    irish red    1 can home brand draft. 4kg LME .700g crystal malt 100g roasted barley 50g ekg @30min    40litres    22starting temp   1060    26-04-2018    1020
you could keep in mind the units on this are for 40 litres so you could do this without the additional EKG addition first up if you like for similar bitterness in a 20 l batch and reduce the extract and crystal and roasted barley to say 350 grams crystal malt and 50 grams roasted barley with 1-1.5kg LME.

Using a can as a base and keeping LME, wheat extract, crystal malt and roasted barley on hand you can make a LOT of different styles of beer.

Latest posts

Back