Newbie Question

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ash Watt

Reaction score
Hi there,

only new to this game i'm doing my second brew ever and have huge drama unfolding;

i've brewed a mexican lager using blackrock kit, brewcraft brewbooster #15 and saflager s-23 yeast, i pitched the yeast at 25c and femented at between 12c and 14c and starting SG was 1042 i left in the fementer for 3 weeks and the final SG was 1012 wich had been steady for a week.
now the problem is i'm trying to bottle but every time i put 1/2 a tea spoon in the bottle it froths up and make a mess i'm using glucose for priming and trying carb drops in 1/2 the batch but there not frothing up but i'm concerned about bottle bombs, also why is it frothing on me.

cheers WATTY.

Are you priming then adding beer or the other way round?

You should put the sugar in first but the mix of sugar and beer will cause some frothing regardless.

When I did Kit beers I would keep aside one bottle without sugar. Fill it as much as you can and keep it aside. Fill your other primed bottles to the level before they overflow. When the head or froth has subsided, use the unprimed beer and a funnel to transfer the extra. It's good to leave a little bit of headroom in each bottle.

Unless you overcarb, I can't imagine 3 weeks of steady 1012 will result in bottle bombs.

There are bits of equipment and so forth you can buy to make bottling less frothy and different priming methods that avoid it altogether but for now just make sure sugar goes in first and try gently topping up with the unprimed beer.

Yup - sugar then beer in bottle. All will be well. :icon_drunk:

You could also try using Castor sugar instead of Glucose. I used to find I had problems with frothing with Glucose even when put in first. Changing to Castor sugar fixed the problem.

I to would say prime the bottle before you fill it. The foaming up would be the release of residual CO2. You can get this when you prime first to but I just fill the bottle to overflow the foam off and cap then wipe over with an old towel.

After 3 weeks in the fermenter and steady at 1012SG you will not have bottle bombs unless you prime twice. :beerbang:

++ as above and use a bottling wand to fill the bottles.

Sugar first and make sure you don't have the tap turned all the way on, let the beer out slowly use a bottling wand if you have it. :icon_cheers:

Yes the bottling wand is really essential for speedy bottling. Also if you are using 750ml brown PET bottles , a CSR sugar cube fits through the top perfectly and gives a fairly good carb rate for most kit beers and is a third of the cost of carb lollies. I use them all the time with PET bottles.

leave the beer in the fermenter another week for it to degas a little more..

Thanks for the replys guys,

The first brew i did was a drought but it didn't froth at all but this shocked the shit out of me, does this only happen to certain brews or is it a ramdom thing and would bulk primming elimnate this problem, all so i was using a little bottler i surpose that is the same as a wand and i did bottle the beer befor i primed.

Take it easy Watty.

I have a small question....i hope you dont mind me popping it in your thread Watty.?
I have always used carb drops , im going to bottel a beer tomorrow, i have a three bucket scoop. i will put the sugar in before the beer. Sorry if this is a stupid question but...... is white suger good to do the job?

I have a small question....i hope you dont mind me popping it in your thread Watty.?
I have always used carb drops , im going to bottel a beer tomorrow, i have a three bucket scoop. i will put the sugar in before the beer. Sorry if this is a stupid question but...... is white suger good to do the job?
No probs.

The main difference with using different sugars in priming is the fermentability. Depending on style, most sugar characteristics are unlikely to show up in the final product so the only thing to watch is the amounts. Dex and table sugar are pretty similar (slight difference but nothing to worry about) and no-one will be able to pick which one you used in the final product.

Carb drops are a mix between dextrose and sucrose if I remember correctly so you'll actually be changing very little.

Shake the bottles afterwards to get it dissolved or you will have problems.

Always add priming sugar to the bottles before putting in the beer.

Mentos and Coke :blink:

Sort of a bit off topic but anyway, I primed one of my mex cervezas with 4 skittles today.
Will post results.

damn how did you get 4 ninepins into the bottle.?

wood will not produce much carbonation

He He heard of people using jellybabies. Don't they have sugar cubes in your local Woolies ?

I only done one bottle, made sure they were green too, to match the beer style (mexican cerveza).

A lot of the ingredients (maltodextrin, glucose, fruit sugar) are often ingredients in beer anyway. The others may leave residue in the bottle or interfere with clarity and head retention. As you say, it's only one bottle so why not.

Part of me also asks why but when I was young I put my finger in an electric light socket to see what electrocution was like. This is less dramatic.

Guess nobody knows what a real skittle is round here ;)

Mexican beer is not green it's virtually colourless and only $20.00 a case down there and in South America.

robbing B******ds in the world

Back