newbie question on amounts of hop flowers to add

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chookers

Reaction score
I have been looking and cant seem to find any advice on how to calculate the amounts of hop flowers to add to a small BIAB batch of Summer Ale, using the Nelson Sauvin hop flowers..

My batch would be 11.5L final volume. I don't want it to be very bitter. I guess as bitter as a corona or even extra dry would be acceptable.

And times and amounts of additions, to get a nice fruity flavour.

Im sorry if these questions have been answered already.. I have my grain, my pots and my fermenter all standing by waiting for me to get properly organised before I start the mess making.

thoughts Please..

Deafening silence - you dared to ask a question of the FHF - Fresh Hop Fraternity :ph34r: .

I posted some queries about using fresh Nugget hops a couple of days ago, and it seems that without testing, trial and error is the go! I did find an old link to an article on hops and harvesting:
http://morebeer.com/brewingtechniques/library/backissues/issue2.3/montell.html

So off you go - brew brew brew, trial & error, and when you've got it all sorted, you too can join the FHF and take the vow of silence :p .

Chookers said:
I have been looking and cant seem to find any advice on how to calculate the amounts of hop flowers to add to a small BIAB batch of Summer Ale, using the Nelson Sauvin hop flowers..
Nelson Sauvin is very strong, so go a bit gentle with it.

Or just add shit loads .

The FHF membership is only open to those that show no fear ( or have no taste buds left :) )

Casting aside the fear factor, I boiled up a brew today using 128g fresh Nugget and 30g Williamette pellets (22.5 litre batch with 5kg grain). With nothing to go on, and bugger-all guidance from those who might have trod this path before, I'll be interested to see how it turns out.

Smelt amazing! I'll keep you posted.

2saj72v.jpg

If you have the %AA of the hops it's easy to work out, trial and error comes from home grown where the aa units are unknown

Back