Newbie question Do you need dextrose

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nickc

Reaction score
Hi,
I have brewed from a can for a few years and am now trying BIAB. I grabbed a recipe from a site to try and it tells me what to do when creating my wort but when it comes to fermenting all it says is what yeast to use and when to dry hop. I would have thought you would ferment with additional dextrose, is that correct?

No dextrose needed mate, the mash process extracts the sugars from the grain, I guess you could add some dextrose if you don’t achieve the original gravity reading your chasing but aside from that the only sugar you need is for bottle priming if bottling your beer.
Just be careful not to overshoot your mash temp so you don’t kill the reaction (I did this once and basically made 50L of barley tea, not my ideal result)
Good luck with it mate, let us know how it goes.

No dextrose needed mate, the mash process extracts the sugars from the grain, I guess you could add some dextrose if you don’t achieve the original gravity reading your chasing but aside from that the only sugar you need is for bottle priming if bottling your beer.
Just be careful not to overshoot your mash temp so you don’t kill the reaction (I did this once and basically made 50L of barley tea, not my ideal result)
Good luck with it mate, let us know how it goes.
Thanks mate,
I have been like a mother hen watching this one going so I am confident I hit the math temp :)

Latest posts

Back