Newbie Needs Basic Advice Please

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JGFree

Reaction score
Hi Everyone - I'm glad to have found this group, and hope to pick your brains. My last experience of home brewing was making beer in England 30 years ago. It was fine then, but I'm guessing that products are even better now. Anyway, have now retired to New Zealand where you can make what you like, including spirits. So I'll be asking for help on the basics of making bourbon, please, as a beer with a bourbon is my thing. Cheers!

Welcome, as you no doubt have seen by looking at the forum sub-headings, distillation isn't discussed here. You will be able to glean some ideas about your wash and fermentation but the best place to look for help would be https://homedistiller.org/forum or r/firewater on Reddit. Plenty of knowledge there about bourbon.
As TwoCrows said, Still It is the best YouTube resource for beginner distillers and another favourite of mine is Bearded & Bored.

Welcome, as you no doubt have seen by looking at the forum sub-headings, distillation isn't discussed here. You will be able to glean some ideas about your wash and fermentation but the best place to look for help would be https://homedistiller.org/forum or r/firewater on Reddit. Plenty of knowledge there about bourbon.
As TwoCrows said, Still It is the best YouTube resource for beginner distillers and another favourite of mine is Bearded & Bored.
Thanks for these - a great start

Feel free to join us on Home Distillers Australia on Facebook
Otherwise the Aussie Distiller forums are an incredible resource
also Bearded & Bored & Stillit on youtube are great
I highly recommend steering clear of Barley & Hops on youtube, old mate George is a bit of a peddler of false information/bad science despite what his rabid fanbois think...

I highly recommend steering clear of Barley & Hops on youtube, old mate George is a bit of a peddler of false information/bad science despite what his rabid fanbois think...
thanks for the warning!

Back