Newbie And Fuggle Hops

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smileymark

Reaction score
I have some fuggles hops have been told 1 boil the crap out of them or make a tea....Which is the best way..thanks :beer:

What are you trying to make? The answer depends on what you hope to achieve.

Generally the recommendation for hops in a extract brew is to make a 1040-1050 wort and boil hops between 60 and 40 minutes for bittering addition, ~30 and 20 minutes for flavour and ~15 -0 minutes for aroma.

Thanks for that.I am a real newbie.The brew I am making is a coopers realale with some amber malt extract ( Morgans) I think I want some more bitterness but I am really still experimenting.!

What are you trying to make? The answer ddepends on what you hope to achieve.

Generally the recommendation for hops in a extract brew is to make a 1040-1050 wort and boil hops between 60 and 40 minutes for bittering addition, ~30 and 20 minutes for flavour and ~15 -0 minutes for aroma.

If you want more bitterness then use about 120 grams of the amber malt per litre of water. Bring it to the boil, add in the hops and boil for 50 minutes. Add the kit, stir to dissolve and let sit 5-10 minutes then mix up as per instructions. Ignore the bit in the instructions that says ferment at 21 -27 degrees and ferment at about 20.

Have you brewed this kit before and decided it needs more bitterness? If this is your first time, I would brew it once straight up and see for next time. One variable at a time - no brew will be perfect and no brew should be your last. If you add the hops in and don't like it, you will have no way of knowing if it's the hops or the kit or the fermentation or something else. Keep it simple, add in more complex steps as you go.

I have no idea how much hops you have or how much bitterness you want and I'd guess you're not sure either. Once you get a better idea of what you're after, its easier to make recommendations.

Thanks Manticle. I have tasted it before it went into the bottles but not the finished product. Do not know how much it will change with bottle age. Thanks for the advice.

If you want more bitterness then use about 120 grams of the amber malt per litre of water. Bring it to the boil, add in the hops and boil for 50 minutes. Add the kit, stir to dissolve and let sit 5-10 minutes then mix up as per instructions. Ignore the bit in the instructions that says ferment at 21 -27 degrees and ferment at about 20.

Have you brewed this kit before and decided it needs more bitterness? If this is your first time, I would brew it once straight up and see for next time. One variable at a time - no brew will be perfect and no brew should be your last. If you add the hops in and don't like it, you will have no way of knowing if it's the hops or the kit or the fermentation or something else. Keep it simple, add in more complex steps as you go.

I have no idea how much hops you have or how much bitterness you want and I'd guess you're not sure either. Once you get a better idea of what you're after, its easier to make recommendations.

Latest posts

Back