New Zealand Lager.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Disco_tezz

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I am wanting to brew a NZ style lager for my Father inlaw,

He is from there, and is currently over there stuck in hospital after breaking both his arms, breaking his leg, and needing a knee reconstruction, after falling off a 3m high wall.

I was planning on using Pacific Gem Pellets, Hallertau NZ Pellets and Nelson Sauvin pellets, but i am having trouble locating some of these hops,

Can anyone suggest a good substitute for the Hallertau NZ Pellets and Nelson Sauvin pellets?

or does someone have a good Recipie for a NZ style Lager,

This was to be a full extract beer, i would prefer not to do a K&K,

Any Help would be great.

Terence

I am wanting to brew a NZ style lager for my Father inlaw,

Hey Tezz

I reckon Green Bullet is more what you're looking for if you want an NZ style lager. Great hop too.

Maybe some extra light malt extract, small amount of sugar to lighten the body (say 10%) and around 25 IBUs of Green Bullet with say 3 of the IBUs in the last 15 minutes of the boil.

Ferment with a good clean/neutral lager yeast like S189 at 12 degrees and Bob's your uncle.

Warren -

Hey Tezz

I reckon Green Bullet is more what you're looking for if you want an NZ style lager. Great hop too.

Maybe some extra light malt extract, small amount of sugar to lighten the body (say 10%) and around 25 IBUs of Green Bullet with say 3 of the IBUs in the last 15 minutes of the boil.

Ferment with a good clean/neutral lager yeast like S189 at 12 degrees and Bob's your uncle.

Warren -

Hi Warren,

I don't have beer smith or anything like that, so what quantities of Hops would i need to achieve that result.
I assume this is for a 60 minute boil?

Tezz

Something like this just for an example Tezz. GB is great loads of AAUs but still very smooth. Great aroma too.

A ProMash Recipe Report

BJCP Style and Style Guidelines
-------------------------------

01-B Light Lager, Standard American Lager

Min OG: 1.040 Max OG: 1.050
Min IBU: 8 Max IBU: 15
Min Clr: 4 Max Clr: 9 Color in EBC

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (L): 25.00 Wort Size (L): 25.00
Total Grain (kg): 4.00
Anticipated OG: 1.052 Plato: 12.88
Anticipated EBC: 9.0
Anticipated IBU: 25.2
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75 %
Wort Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential EBC
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
87.5 3.50 kg. Coopers LME - Light Australia 1.038 8
12.5 0.50 kg. Corn Sugar Generic 1.046 0

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
13.00 g. green bullet Whole 13.60 20.9 60 min.
10.00 g. green bullet Whole 13.60 4.3 15 min.

Warren -

I was planning on using Pacific Gem Pellets, Hallertau NZ Pellets and Nelson Sauvin pellets, but i am having trouble locating some of these hops,

have you tried the online sponsors? Craftbrewer has all of them. G&G also has them all (excpt Pacific Gem). If you order today you'll get them Monday from Craftbrewer.

have you tried the online sponsors? Craftbrewer has all of them. G&G also has them all (excpt Pacific Gem). If you order today you'll get them Monday from Craftbrewer.

I was on the Craft Brewer website this morning, and yes they do stock them,

But according to the site they do not have any in stock.

this punter looks like he maks a shit hot beer, probably would do a larger to, i wish mines was that good

here

I was on the Craft Brewer website this morning, and yes they do stock them,

But according to the site they do not have any in stock.
check again. it says they are available now

this punter looks like he maks a shit hot beer, probably would do a larger to, i wish mines was that good

here

this guy wants you to buy his recipes?! whata tight arse. he probably stole them off AHB anyway :p

check again. it says they are available now

Sorry citymorgue, i should have been more specific, i was after The NZ crop, as i was making a NZ lager,

Would there be much difference between the NZ crop and a german crop, or am i just being too picky?

It depends if you want hallertau or pacific hallertau. Pacific hallertau are a different variety developed in NZ, never used them so can't comment on how they differ. G&G still have nelson sauvin, you might just need to do two orders if your set on using these three

Dave

yeah I should have picked that up without you needing to tell me. I dont think it would make a notible differance in such small quantities, esp as your making a K&K.

It depends if you want hallertau or pacific hallertau. Pacific hallertau are a different variety developed in NZ, never used them so can't comment on how they differ. G&G still have nelson sauvin, you might just need to do two orders if your set on using these three

Dave

I am not really set on anything, If some knows of a good lager combination, i will change the hops, But as i was aiming for a NZ lager, i figured i would need NZ hops.

i am not after the Pacific Hallertau,
this is the one i was after, because it was a NZ hop

http://www.craftbrewer.com.au/shop/details.asp?PID=595

i made a nelson sauvin ale recently which was great very tropical i guess and easy to session

it was fermented @ 16-18celcius
Summer ale

Type: Extract
23 litres
boil 60 mins

900gram Light dried malt extract
1500gram coopers wheat liquid malt extract
400gram inverted sugar
200gram dextrose

10gram Nelson Sauvin hops @60 mins
10 gram Nelson Sauvin hops @20 mins
20 grams Nelson Sauvin hops @ 0 mins