Kiwi Hop Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ploto

Reaction score
I am planning on putting this down as my next full extract brew. I am after an APA-style with lots of flavour but not too bitter.

25l
2 x 1.5kg coopers light malt extract
500g dry wheat malt extract for the boil.
500g Victory malt steeped (EBC 50 - 60)
US-05, 18C

Pacific Gem (16.9%) - 10g @ 45 min
Nelson Sauvin (11.3%) - 20g @ 30 min
Motueka (8.6%) - 15g @ 15 min
Riwaka (4.8%) - 15g @ 10 min
Motueka (8.6%) - 15g @ 5 min
Riwaka (4.8%) - 15g @ 0 min
Hallertau Aroma flowers - 25g dry hopped

The spreadsheet gives me the following numbers when calculated at a 7l boil: IBU: 29.6, OG 1.048, FG 1.012

My intent is to get bitterness from the pac gem, flavour from the NS, flavour & aroma from the Motueka & Riwaka, and finishing off with the HA flowers. I do want the Motueka & Riwaka to be the star of the show, with the other hops providing support but still noticeable.

Questions! Does the hop combination look out of balance, ie. should I be adding more or less or anything? Should the PG be put back to 60min? Could I add more NS? Will the dry hopped HA flowers overwhelm the aroma of the 15 - 0 min hops? And will the 500g of Victory malt give enough 'backbone' to the ale? Any suggestions from those who are familiar with these hops would be much appreciated.

The Pacific Hallertau is a great stand alone hop but I'd leave it out of this combo - and stick with the rest, maybe sub 30g more Motueka. I've never used Victory but I can see how it could give a nice IPA - ish maltiness and body to the brew and would be interested to know how it goes. What yeast? I'd be looking at US-05. :icon_cheers:

Cheers, that's just the sort of advice I was after. US-05 is the yeast I plan to use.

BTW by Pacific Hallertau I take it you do mean Hallertau Aroma? ;)

Apparently pacific hallertau was renamed pacifica, hallertau aroma is separate variety :icon_offtopic:

Latest posts

Back