New Zealand Breweries And Golf!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PostModern

Iron Wolf Brewery
Reaction score
My kids are finally old enough to not be a total PITA while travelling, so we're taking a trial OS holiday to the North island of NZ in November (late Springtime).

We'll be spending a little time in Aukland for business, but travelling all over the North island as much as possible in between. While there, I plan to take a detour into every brew pub along the way... Along the lines of "I'll drive in the mornings, Dear, stop at a Pub for lunch and you drive in the arvo" type arrangement, until it gets boring (hehe).

Anyway, I don't want to miss any gems and I don't want to waste time at any glorified homebreweries, so those of you with experience over the puddle, please advise so I can look them up and put them in our itinerary.

I'd also like to have a hit of golf (at least one) while we're away, so please recommend any "must play" courses that a hacker like myself might enjoy. I'm not a $100 per round kind of guy, even on a holiday, but I've heard that there are some nice reasonably priced courses all over NZ.

Cheers!
:party:

I'd also like to have a hit of golf (at least one) while we're away, so please recommend any "must play" courses that a hacker like myself might enjoy. I'm not a $100 per round kind of guy, even on a holiday, but I've heard that there are some nice reasonably priced courses all over NZ.

Cheers!
:party:

Not sure on pricing, but on my list to play would be Cape Kidnappers (Tom Doak) the sister course to Kauri Cliffs. A friend of mine just constructed The Kinloch CLub at Lake Taupo (Nicklaus) probably expensive but is worth a look, Wairakei International (Thomson) is also there at Taupo. Titirangi might be a good bet, supposedly redesigned my Alister MacKenzie during his world tour in 1927 so the layout should be quality.

Beer? Wouldn't have a clue.

Very timely topic. I am heading to Auckland for 5 one week trips for work starting next month.

Not sure on pricing, but on my list to play would be Cape Kidnappers (Tom Doak) the sister course to Kauri Cliffs. A friend of mine just constructed The Kinloch CLub at Lake Taupo (Nicklaus) probably expensive but is worth a look, Wairakei International (Thomson) is also there at Taupo. Titirangi might be a good bet, supposedly redesigned my Alister MacKenzie during his world tour in 1927 so the layout should be quality.

Thanks Duff.

I've just looked at the Cape Kidnappers website... looks nice but once I factor in the NZ$35 cart and $75 rental clubs, it would come to NZ$510 for the round!!!! (Not including my kid!) Looks like a lovely course, tho :)

Titirangi also looks nice, but at $120, it will also cut into my beer budget. Also don't think they'd like my 10yo son to play. I might look into some discount options. Might just have to play the public courses, I think :)

Here is a map of beer-brewery related places in NZ

For the Nth Island my recommendations would be:
The Cock and Bull in Auckland
Limburg in Hastings
Wellington Brewing Company in Wellington

Beers,
Doc

Thanks Doc. Ever hear anything about White Cliffs?

Heading off to the south island for 2 weeks in just over a weeks time - the list of breweries might come in useful. Was especially interested in this offer :

http://www.musselinn.co.nz/eco.htm

2 free beers per cat...might just have to take my whacking stick, wonder what I should declare it to customs as! :D

Thanks Duff.

I've just looked at the Cape Kidnappers website... looks nice but once I factor in the NZ$35 cart and $75 rental clubs, it would come to NZ$510 for the round!!!! (Not including my kid!) Looks like a lovely course, tho :)

Titirangi also looks nice, but at $120, it will also cut into my beer budget. Also don't think they'd like my 10yo son to play. I might look into some discount options. Might just have to play the public courses, I think :)
Thanks Doc. Ever hear anything about White Cliffs?

Cape Kidnappers is unfair - a friend of mine lives in Hastings and plays off 4 - he lost 14 balls in 1 round.

When the wind blows it is impossible to keep the ball on the fairway.

IF you are in the Bay of Plenty (Mt Maunganui) go to Omanu - nice friendly course - excellent greens - 25 bucks a round. You wont get on at the weekend though.

RM

Cape Kidnappers is unfair - a friend of mine lives in Hastings and plays off 4 - he lost 14 balls in 1 round.

When the wind blows it is impossible to keep the ball on the fairway.

That's the beauty of the game, you will never perfect it.

I'll bet he didnt think it was Beautiful that day.

There is a course in Mandurah called THE CUT (sometimes spelt with a strategically placed N) - its much the same when the seabreeze comes in - only luck keeps the ball on the fairway - and there is no 2nd cut - fairway then Matabele Country.

Just plain unfair.

RM

I'll bet he didnt think it was Beautiful that day.

There is a course in Mandurah called THE CUT (sometimes spelt with a strategically placed N) - its much the same when the seabreeze comes in - only luck keeps the ball on the fairway - and there is no 2nd cut - fairway then Matabele Country.

Just plain unfair.

RM

RM,

I could spend all night debating the background of the great game which keeps me employed and brewing beer (there, it is beer related).

You seem to walk around kicking the soil beneath you and claiming that the golf courses that you have mentioned are unfair. Is that because you don't play well? Or is your idea of the perfect golf course one where each hole is a Par 4, downhill, downwind, 230m with no bunkers and a cylindrical green in which all balls funnel their way to the hole cut in the centre?

BM.

RM,

I could spend all night debating the background of the great game which keeps me employed and brewing beer (there, it is beer related).

You seem to walk around kicking the soil beneath you and claiming that the golf courses that you have mentioned are unfair. Is that because you don't play well? Or is your idea of the perfect golf course one where each hole is a Par 4, downhill, downwind, 230m with no bunkers and a cylindrical green in which all balls funnel their way to the hole cut in the centre?

BM.

Add a nubile female Caddy and you are close.

RM

PoMo
My experience with golf in the North Island were limited to Titirangi & The Grange, both are certain to be charging over the odds. Try & find a golfer in your business dealings over there & sponge a game with him at his club!

Spot on Duff.

RM, take yourself outside & give yourself a good slap, & HT*U :p Why back in my day the spikes were on the insides of the shoes! :eek:

There is nothing in the rules of golf that says you can't go do a little practice.
The secret is of course still in the dirt!

Cheers
Gerard

he lost 14 balls in 1 round.

I remember loosing about 20 balls one day, had to finish at the 17th hole- no more balls :angry: . I'm certainly no where near being of 4, I think I am the handicap :p . Still always love to get out and have a whack with the sticks.
Eric

PostModern the shakesphere in auckland was a good brew pub to on one of the main roads it was a stone throw from the hotel i stayed in

Heading off to the south island for 2 weeks in just over a weeks time - the list of breweries might come in useful. Was especially interested in this offer :

http://www.musselinn.co.nz/eco.htm

2 free beers per cat...might just have to take my whacking stick, wonder what I should declare it to customs as! :D

It is a place well out of they way, but worth the journey.
There are three places/bars in the world that feel like home to me and this is one of them.

For the other two see here

Doc

Auckland has some great beer options, the newly crowned pub of the year Galbraiths serving real British ale on cask, any one of the Cock And Bull pubs with beers brewed by one of NZ's most awarded craft brewers Luke Nicholas.
Matching golf and beer (a match made in heaven) you could head out to west Auckland and play at Huapai golf course, a great course for less than $50 and instead of finishing up at the 19th there travel 100m down the road to Hallertau brewbar, a most excellent establishment.
I can also recommend the Shakespeare, I really enjoy their beers.

For a list of breweries (a little bit dated) try here: http://www.realbeer.co.nz/nz_breweries/

If you're super keen on golf, this book might be $35 well spent - lots of discounts.

Have a great holiday.

Try & find a golfer in your business dealings over there & sponge a game with him at his club!

There's an idea :) Cheers for the thought.

PostModern the shakesphere in auckland was a good brew pub to on one of the main roads it was a stone throw from the hotel i stayed in

Will check it out. We'll be in Aukland for a few days, so I'm sure I'll get to it.

Auckland has some great beer options, the newly crowned pub of the year Galbraiths serving real British ale on cask, any one of the Cock And Bull pubs with beers brewed by one of NZ's most awarded craft brewers Luke Nicholas.
Matching golf and beer (a match made in heaven) you could head out to west Auckland and play at Huapai golf course, a great course for less than $50 and instead of finishing up at the 19th there travel 100m down the road to Hallertau brewbar, a most excellent establishment.
I can also recommend the Shakespeare, I really enjoy their beers.

For a list of breweries (a little bit dated) try here: http://www.realbeer.co.nz/nz_breweries/

If you're super keen on golf, this book might be $35 well spent - lots of discounts.

Have a great holiday.

I'll be there with the family, so only one day allocated for me and Mr 10yo (he'll be 11 by then) to have a round. Huapai sounds like a goer. As I mentioned, I'm a hacker, so a $100+ course would be wasted on me (and the boy), but $50 sounds good. I'll see if I can find more info on this course.

Cheers for the info gents. Please keep it coming!

Hallertau brewbar, a most excellent establishment.

I've just looked at their NZ beer list. I was thinking of grabbing a bunch of singles and mailing a box of beer back to my house. The List is quite impressive. I think we'd better hire a station wagon so I can get some of this bounty back to the hotel!

Impressive is right, I reckon Stephen's (Plowman - the brewer) beer fridge is the best in the country.

Keith Galbraith has a few tricks up his sleeve too, the fridge at the end of the bar at Galbraiths usually contains more than a couple of rare gems.

Back