New Wey. Bohemian Pils Malt Arrives

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
neonmeate said:
??? mine have all been absolutely clear with a straight infusion.???
[post="78174"][/post]​

It was your experience (as relayed in another thread last week) that tipped me over the edge toward giving the single infusion a go. I did a lot of research before using this malt for the first time, and it seemed roughly 50/50 between info suggesting the need for a rest/decoction and info suggesting single infusion would be fine. Unable to make up my mind I asked here last week about people's experiences and yours tipped the scales. I'm certainly not ruling out my technique being problematic, but like I said I've never had this problem in the past and it does suggest that a 'rest' may well be worthwhile in future with this malt. Just out of interest, are you using a HERMS setup or something like that neonmeate??

Thanks for the feedback. Just thought I'd post my experience for others - adds to the confusion if nothing else ;)

Shawn.

I used the Wey Bo Pils in my HefeRyeizen which I racked last night.
It is cloudy as all hell (just as well it is a hefe).
I just did a single infusion mash also.
Not sure if I can blame the Pils as there is considerable wheat and rye in it as well :p

Beers,
Doc

just mashing in a rubbermaid, nothing fancy. all of the beers i did with that malt are clear. didnt even use irish moss or finings. i guess there's a very slight chill haze in the pilsener but it's really slight...
sorry to have stuffed up your brews! but i really didnt get any haze. try lagering em for a while.

does your overnight cooling usually cause any issues with haze? do you get a decent cold break?

neonmeate said:
does your overnight cooling usually cause any issues with haze? do you get a decent cold break?
[post="78237"][/post]​

I chill straight after the boil using an immersion chiller. Yesterday it took 20 minutes to get down to 22 degrees from boiling and I stopped it there, drained to fermenter and threw it in my temp controlled fridge next to the starter. Chilled to 10-12 degrees overnight and I dropped it to aerate and pitched the slurry. I've done this numerous times before.

I brew quite a few lagers, and I'm not blaming your advice at all :) - just intrigued that our experiences were so different. Maybe mine will clear after lagering to just a slight chill haze that you describe? All I know is that this was easily the cloudiest ag brew into the boiler and fermenter I've done in nearly 18 months :blink: JW Pils, JW Ale, Weyermann Munich, JW Munich, - all of these have brewed clear as a bell when I've used them as base malt. I've had some really slight chill haze from a bag of Maris Otter malt from last year, but my current bag is also brewing/finishing clear. So far only this malt has been an issue, and I stress again it seems to taste fine at this stage and my efficiency/gravities were as normal.

I'll definitely use a rest with this malt next time anyway and reckon others might want to at least consider it.

Thanks,

Shawn.

Anyone use this as the base for a german pilsner? I cannot decide if I should use this as the base for all my pils/lagers or the standard pilsner malt as the base for all my pils/lagers.

I've brewed 1 batch with each, the bo pils only went in the keg today (3 weeks from start, 2 fermenting 1 cube) so this one needs more time. The standard has had 3 weeks in the kegs now and is nice and crisp but missing a little malt flavour.

Basically the question is which would be better?

a. Weyermann Bohemian Pilsner Malt

b. Weyermann Pilsner Malt with a little munich/vienna when I want more colour/malt flavour?

8/10 brews I do would be a german pilsner however I usually like to do them on the malty side rather then the hoppy side (sometimes I change it up)

Good Day
I did a side by side comparision with this malt and the German pils malt last year in two identical BoPils and in blind taste tests other HBers couldn't agree on much of a difference between the two. So either malt would be very good for pilsners. I did noticed that the bopil malt had a lot more trub.
All the best, Barry.

Good Day
I did a side by side comparision with this malt and the German pils malt last year in two identical BoPils and in blind taste tests other HBers couldn't agree on much of a difference between the two. So either malt would be very good for pilsners. I did noticed that the bopil malt had a lot more trub.
All the best, Barry.

Cheers Barry, this is what I suspected, I will be going with the standard from now on, seemed easier to mash and a faster sparge to me.

:beer:

Back