New To This But The Bug Bit Me Quick!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Huhness

Reaction score
Hi Everyone! ;)

Bought a Coopers mini brew kit last weekend and thats now bottled and carbing up!

Now i want to start on the beer i enjoy! I really enjoy drinking Coopers Aussie Pale Ale and bought this with the kit last weekend and have since purchased the Brew Enchancer 2 and i bought some DME..

Now..? Do i have the correct things? Am i right to add the BE2 and the DME to the goop in the can?

I'd really like this to turn out something like Coopers Aussie Pale Ale but if anyone has some suggestions as to how to improve the recipe that would be great!!

My girlfriend is getting worried i'm already addicted to this.. she doesn't know i'm going to working my way to AG. Looks like thats when it gets really fun!

Tim :D

Oops I wrote SA Doh!.. haha

Hi Everyone! ;)

Bought a Coopers mini brew kit last weekend and thats now bottled and carbing up!

Now i want to start on the beer i enjoy! I really enjoy drinking Coopers Aussie Pale Ale and bought this with the kit last weekend and have since purchased the Brew Enchancer 2 and i bought some DME..

Now..? Do i have the correct things? Am i right to add the BE2 and the DME to the goop in the can?

I'd really like this to turn out something like Coopers Aussie Pale Ale but if anyone has some suggestions as to how to improve the recipe that would be great!!

My girlfriend is getting worried i'm already addicted to this.. she doesn't know i'm going to working my way to AG. Looks like thats when it gets really fun!

Tim :D

Oops I wrote SA Doh!.. haha

Your girlfriend has every right to be worried about your new hobby obsession! My wife regrets buying my first kit last year for v day, now I'm about to go all grain!

You mention both DME and BE2, how much DME?
If you use the can (aussie pale ale im guessing you have), then add the BE2 (which is a kilo) and normally thats it. You could add some more DME but not another kilo worth, at least not until you get a bit more experience and learn to balance the flavours etc.

For now I would just try the BE2 and see what you think, you will get closer to it again if you change yeasts and use some fresh hops but I advise to keep it simple for your first few then branch out.

Enjoy!

I bought half a kilo.. i could just sprinkle it on my corn flakes.. hahaha

So i should just keep i simple, see thats my problem i like to jump right into everything!!

I'll just follow the steps on the can and see how it goes! should I brew it to 23L? or could it help to use less water?

I bought half a kilo.. i could just sprinkle it on my corn flakes.. hahaha

So i should just keep i simple, see thats my problem i like to jump right into everything!!

I'll just follow the steps on the can and see how it goes! should I brew it to 23L? or could it help to use less water?
23L would be the way to go for this one.Suggest you rehydrate the yeast and keep the fermentation within the recommended temperature range for the yeast.

23L would be the way to go for this one.Suggest you rehydrate the yeast and keep the fermentation within the recommended temperature range for the yeast.

my last brew stuck at 24C thats fine right? I could probably find a cooler spot in the house.

my last brew stuck at 24C thats fine right? I could probably find a cooler spot in the house.

When in doubt go cooler. 18 seems to be a common temp mentioned round these parts.

and ..Welcome aboard. My wife bought me a keg setup in September, I modified the laundry fridge and then had to figure out how to make beer! I think I over-heard her say "I've created a monster" :icon_drunk: :D

MD

I think I over-heard her say "I've created a monster" :icon_drunk: :D

MD
hahaha i don't think i'm far off :beerbang:

Thanks for the advice i'll be throwing this one in one of the empty wardrobes with a couple of ice bricks ontop!

IMHO a higher stable temp is better than a fluctuating lower temp.
Lower the better still if you can get it around the 20's your doing well, aim to keep it as stable as possible.

When in doubt go cooler. 18 seems to be a common temp mentioned round these parts.

and ..Welcome aboard. My wife bought me a keg setup in September, I modified the laundry fridge and then had to figure out how to make beer! I think I over-heard her say "I've created a monster" :icon_drunk: :D

MD

I usually aim for the lower part of the range eg if 21-27 try 21.

Hi and welcome.

That seems to be very good advice from everybody. Keep it simple. Here is a recipe for Coopers pale ale that you can try later on. I got it of this fourum and have been told its as close to the real thing as you can get with a kit. I like it.

Coopers pale ale:

1 x can of Coopers pale ale
500g Light Dry Malt Extract
500g Dextrose
15g Pride of Ringwood(teabag hops form HBS) boiled for 60min in 5lt of water and all the dry malt.
CPA bottle yeast.(do a search)
Fernent at 20.

Hanzie

I just went to pete's home brew store and it wasn't quite what I expected...

I just bought some ale yeast after I the yeast that comes in the tin isn't that great.. but isn't it supposed to be refridgerated?

Didn't get any help either.. Do you guys have a lhbs register with all the stores in the states??

I just went to pete's home brew store and it wasn't quite what I expected...

I just bought some ale yeast after I the yeast that comes in the tin isn't that great.. but isn't it supposed to be refridgerated?

Didn't get any help either.. Do you guys have a lhbs register with all the stores in the states??

Not really a register of sorts (that I know of) but do a search with a town/city name and you could find some comments, after that turns up nothing....ask!
Yes keep your yeasts in the fridge, they will last longer and keep in better shape when refrigerated.

Latest posts

Back