New To Kegging Question

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Benfa

Reaction score
Hey Lads,

Just got my first keg going last sunday which tuned out great, have a 2nd just finished fermenting and i'm ready to put this one into my 2nd keg.. I only have one "IN" fitting on my gas bottle so what do i do to this 2nd keg? Do i pressurize it up and burpe iit then just let it sit in the fridge until i want to gas it or can i just put my beer in and seal the lid without doing anything?
Cheers :)

welcome to the forum,yes gas it up,burp[to purge air]then regas and store also if you only have 1 gas QD you could fit it to your new keg when not using other keg eg:eek:vernight so that it will be carbedup when you need it or force carb then leave in frige

Just clear the headspace by burping it, then you can put it aside either in the fridge if you have room, or somewhere else, doesn't really matter as long as it's not too hot.

Awsome shall do cheers for the quick replys guys, gonna get straight on it :D

Awsome shall do cheers for the quick replys guys, gonna get straight on it :D

Just for future benefit, I have 5 kegs, and alwaysd have 2 in the fridge...both carbed. The ones outside I have burped, and when one fridge keg empties ZI replace it with a=a keg from outside and then carb it over a couple of nights.

never run out!

Hey Lads,

Just got my first keg going last sunday which tuned out great, have a 2nd just finished fermenting and i'm ready to put this one into my 2nd keg.. I only have one "IN" fitting on my gas bottle so what do i do to this 2nd keg? Do i pressurize it up and burpe iit then just let it sit in the fridge until i want to gas it or can i just put my beer in and seal the lid without doing anything?
Cheers :)

Get yourself a splitter and another QD mate... then the second keg will be ready to go immediately.

If your anything like me (have 5 kegs and 4 taps) you'll want more kegs soon... especially if you can fit them in the fridge
:icon_cheers:

Crap, reading this I just realised I didn't burp or purge my last keg with CO2 when I filled it last weekend. Will do tonight as it's better late than never.

Agreed with all options above.
If storing it, make sure you purge out the oxygen.
Secondly, allowing it to carb up while storing is good, so its ready to drink when you need it. Look into natural carbonation perhaps (add about 75g of dex to the keg, purge the head space and leave at a fermenting temperature.
Connecting to gas in the fridge when your not drinking from the other keg is an option.
Inevitably, your bound to get a second tap and second gas disconnect + splitter at some stage ... so you might as well buy the splitter and disconnect now. :)

Back