New to kegging advise needed

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Danielscott26

Reaction score
Hi guys I'm looking at finally getting into kegging and I'm looking at a few options and just wondering if anyone can give me any advise on the keg king kegerators I've seen some second hand floating around every now and again and was wondering if these are worth looking at or should I just get a second hand fridge and go that route? Cheers guys

Completely up to you (not a great answer I know). The KK units are good because they're purpose-built, tidy and off the bat will serve beer. Putting it together yourself will cost a lot in taps and disconnects but will be 'yours', and uniquely so.
The early KK units to my knowledge had some electric issues and required a control board change when they would error. I believe the new ones don't suffer from that issue though. Maybe someone can chime in with more detail.

Thanks thewiggman I'm still undecided at the moment but will keep an eye out for any second hand options that come up any time soon or I will go to craftbrewer and buy some kegs and basic bronco taps and a fridge off gumtree and start building it slowly from there adding taps at a later date when I have a bit more money to spend.

I have a series 3 keg king kegerator it was upgraded with steel taps, and runs with no problems at all.

Spend some time now working out what your final set up is likely to be, where you want it, whether it will be fixed or moveable, whether you want to lift full kegs up and over to get them in (i.e. keezer type from a chest freezer) or just open a door and pop them in, how many taps etc. Its all too easy to head down a road starting cheap and simple and somehow end up spending 3 times as much than if you'd just bought the final solution at the outset. A bit of planning should ensure that doesn't happen

My advice would be to read the kegging setups thread, work out what what you like dislike, plenty of opinions. If its just functionality or looks that your after or both.

As a minimum you'll need to buy kegs, co2 and a regulator.

Buying a quality set up from new can be quite expensive and numerous headaches whilst setting it all up (although great pleasure/pride to be had when running). As Blind Dog has stated, think what you would really like as a set up but don't dismiss setups for sale as there are some real good ones about and not overlypriced.
Cheers

You can always build up you gear from basic....

Lets say.. (this is what I did)..

buy a chest freezer from gumtree/ebay... attach an STC1000
sit your single keg inside, with the gas bottle and a picnic tap... simply lift the lid and serve a beer...

then, you can add a collar and tap...

then you can add a manifold and more taps/kegs as you expand...

I'm at my max of 4 taps for my keezer, and it's a pretty small freezer... fits 4 kegs exactly with no extra room.. I could probably fit a small keg on the hump, but meh, I use this area to keep glasses chilled and the odd commercial can/bottle.

I love my keezer so much, soooo glad I took the time to build it and it looks awesome too. I would not have the same level of pride/satisfaction from a pre-bought keggerator.

If you go for the keg king just buy the fridge and buy your own font and taps off ebay. Im using a Krome Dispense brand twin SS taps and SS font, it came in one piece with beer lines and traditional keg connections attachewd which I changed to CMB disconnects. It wasn't much over a hundred dollars at the time. They have been working flawless for close to 2 years.

Thanks for the reply's guys. I made my decision and today I rang craftbrewer and purchased 2 secondhand kegs a micromatic regulator with 2 bronco taps and all parts and connections necessary to set it all up inside the fridge.

I am a chef so after a quick chat with the bar manager at work and the offer of free beer at the next poker night i have got a 10kg co2 bottle to use.

I have decided to buy a second hand fridge freezer to set it up in which i can also store my hops and other stuff in.
Later on I will look at adding some nice taps and will be on the lookout for a couple more second hand kegs that come up for sale on AHB but I have realised you have to be bloody quick to snap these bargains up :)
I am really looking forward to being able to go to my fridge and pour a glass of my own beer from a keg I still can't believe i waited this long to finally jump into kegging.

Cheers

Congrats! what a legend bar manager you have, welcome to the wonderful world of kegging, there's nothing more satisfying than pouring you home brew from a keg at home after a hard days work

Lo Dan,
Where are you on the coast?
I have an el cheapo keg system that works well.
You could come around if you're handy and have a look.
Send a P.M. if you want too.

Hey Dan
I have recently upgraded (is what I'd call it) from a KK Kegerator. I had a a series 1 for about 3 yrs and I have to be honest for the price (if you have room)
buy a full size fridge only (no freezer) and taps heaps cheaper and gives you room for cans etc.Attached are some pics of mine.
It took a little while for me to find a good fridge to suit but worth the wait. Total cost was well under even a second hand kegerator.
It really comes down to room and what you are going for/want. For me this is perfect. (And it keeps the wife happy).

vv8PwN.jpg

MbsyZr.jpg

Hey gossy I have actually purchased a second hand fridge similar size and design to yours. I'm going to have to either add supports to the bottom shelf to hold the weight or build a box to level out the compressor hump but I'm still deciding which will be better and easier. I'm currently carbing my first brew and patiently waiting for it to carb properly.

Latest posts

Back