New set up blues (my pick-tube don't love me like she should)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

All.Hopped.Up

Reaction score
Hi,

I have taken a hiatus from brewing since the beginning of the year due to life/study commitments and I am finally ready to get back into it with my new set up.
(I still managed to purchase a new Burner, kegging system, fermenting fridge and 9 cornies)
I built a single vessle BIAB set up from a keg and I am using stainless steel fittings purchased online and unfortunately I am having some trouble getting it all sealed up and working properly. I can currently only get the keg to drain down to the fittings and not to the bottom of the pick up tube.
I have sealed all of the threads with teflon tape and I am still getting no love and it all seems to be sealed properly.
I have attached some pics of the connection and compression fitting if anyone has any advice it would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
AHU

2014-10-29 13.05.11.jpg

2014-10-29 13.07.28.jpg

2014-10-29 13.07.28.jpg

2014-10-29 13.05.11.jpg

It is all water tight?

Are you draining it through a hose, or just straight out the tap? I had a similar problem that went away once I started using a hose to drain my kettle.

If you're not using a hose, try attaching one and then draining. That way you'll have some pressure below the level of the pickup tube to help suck out the liquid below the level of the tap. Kind of like siphoning without having to suck on the hose.

Also, if it were my gear I'd angle to pickup tube into the corner of the kettle. With it sticking into the middle you'll be picking up trub right out of the middle of your nicely formed cone post whirlpool, which kind of defeats the purpose of doing a whirlpool in the first place.

JD

JDW81 said:
It is all water tight?

Are you draining it through a hose, or just straight out the tap? I had a similar problem that went away once I started using a hose to drain my kettle.

If you're not using a hose, try attaching one and then draining. That way you'll have some pressure below the level of the pickup tube to help suck out the liquid below the level of the tap. Kind of like siphoning without having to suck on the hose.
It is all water tight and air tight.

I have just been draining it out of the tap but I will attach a hose and see if that helps.

Cheers

JDW81 said:
It is all water tight?

Also, if it were my gear I'd angle to pickup tube into the corner of the kettle. With it sticking into the middle you'll be picking up trub right out of the middle of your nicely formed cone post whirlpool, which kind of defeats the purpose of doing a whirlpool in the first place.

JD
Gravity is a real bitch sometimes.
Thanks JD!

I thought that would leave enough room for the trub to collect at the bottom without losing any of the sweet sweet delicious wort?
As I am yet to brew in it, I don't really have much to go off as of yet as I was doing small batches in a 19 litre pot prior to this so I am open to suggestions.

2014-10-29 14.05.05.jpg

Back