New Question On Lagering

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spiderpig

Reaction score
Greetings all,

I am wanting to give this Lagering process another shot, I plan on using a Saflager W34 yeast for my next concentrate. Can I please get some advice from anyone on the following:
  • I plan on fermenting the wort through it's primary fermentation at 10 celcius as my brother in law and I have rigged up my fridge with two thermastats to achieve a normal operation, plus a secondary range of 10 - 15 degrees for lagering. How long should I leave the wort at this temperature (10 celcius) for fermentation all up?
  • Should I rack the wort at any stage to a secondary? If so, when? If I rack, how long does this need to continue lagering in the secondary before bottling?
  • At bottling stage, are carbonation drops acceptable to use? Do I then carbonate and condition at this same 10 celcius, or should I raise or lower the temp? Will the yeast have survived this long for carbonation to occur?
Guys, sorry for all the questions. I am really interested in learning more about this type of brewing. Hopefully one day, I may be able to pass on some experience back to our community.. But right now, I need your help. Thanks one and all.

Troy

Hey if you are able to ferment at any temp you like you might as well ferment in primary at 12C as the fermentis website quotes that temp as "ideal." Plus it might finish a couple days before a 10C fermentation.

I never rack to secondary so am unable to give you the positives of it (at least from first hand experience), hence the brew stays in primary until completed. This is usually 2-3 weeks but use hydrometer to make sure.

If you rack to secondary most people seem to rack when about 75% way through primary while gas is still being produced, to allow a protective coat for brew.

Carb drops are fine, the yeast will survive at the temps your talking about. My procedure may not be ideal but I give it about 2 weeks after bottling at garage temp (16-18) for carbonation than lager in fridge for 1 month minimum.

Dave

Hi Spiderpig
The last lager i did was a couple of months ago at between 10 to 12 degress in the fridge. It took about 4 weeks using the same yeast as you are using.

Steve

Back