New Papazian Book

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sounds good. see you at 11.50.

Jez

Mine arrived today, but won't really start reading it until I catch the tram 2morra.

You Eastern States blokes have had it for about a fortnight now, what do you think of it??

Can't give you any insight Wee Stu. I've been reading the Dogfish Head book first. I would have had it finished and moved on to the Papazian book, but I've been driving rather than catching the bus lately.

Beers,
Doc

OK Doc, what's the dogfish bay book like :)

Wee Stu,

The Dogfish Head book is really good reading. It give a good insight into Dogfish Head and what Sam was trying to create.
While the book isn't about building a brewery, (it is about the business and entrepreneur ideas) he does relate the concepts back to Dogfish Head.
I'm about half way through and really enjoying it, even though I have always hated business books.

Beers,
Doc

Wee Stu..
I'm about, quarter to a third through Papazian. So far he started up with some of his travels to the larger known brewpubs and micro's throughout America large, talking of his time spent with owners and brewers and discussing their favourite brews.
Then he has moved onto his travels with his wife to areas that have large 'homebrewing' communities and how these visits have shaped his brewing thoughts etc etc.
its quite an interesting read... and with each place he visits... he simply refers to a beer from that time/place and then gives a sample recipe.

fairly light meandering read through his travels.

KoNG said:
fairly light meandering read through his travels.
[post="92700"][/post]​

Yeah I don't think it is going to be too taxing reading. Diverting, but not so much that I will miss my tram stop.

Mind you it has already got me thinking that my next brew might be a light american wheat, very loosely based on the Pyramid Wheaten Ale recipe. The only things I will tinker with are the malts, the yeast and the hops :D - oh and the mash shedule too :p maybe I'll call "Off The Wheaten Track"

awrabest, stu

wee stu said:
The only things I will tinker with are the malts, the yeast and the hops :D - oh and the mash shedule too :p maybe I'll call "Off The Wheaten Track"
awrabest, stu
[post="92706"][/post]​

hmmm... be sure to use a lager yeast... :huh:

KoNG said:
wee stu said:
The only things I will tinker with are the malts, the yeast and the hops :D - oh and the mash shedule too :p maybe I'll call "Off The Wheaten Track"
awrabest, stu
[post="92706"][/post]​

hmmm... be sure to use a lager yeast... :huh:
[post="92709"][/post]​

Now, now KoNG, there is no need to be silly ;)

I haven't been following this thread, but just noticed that the dogfish head book was mentioned. I orderd it at the start of the month, direct from the Dogfish Head Brewery. It's about USD$4-$5 more espensive than through amazon, but you get a free Dogfish head pint glass :) Ordering internationally on their site is a bit difficult, but I ended up speaking to one of their staff, Dana on the phone and she was very helpful.

I'm expecting it to rock up any day now, and am looking forward to reading it, (and drinking from my new favourite pint glass)

My copy of the Dogfish Head "Brewing up a business" arrived today.

Purchasing it direct from dogfish head got me:

- hand signed by Sam the man "cheers"
- a really cool dogfish head pint glass for free :)

Only problem is they have to go under the tree for the next month .

Boots said:
My copy of the Dogfish Head "Brewing up a business" arrived today.
[post="93004"][/post]​

Is boots planning a change of career to help support his growing family??

Can't find any time to brew in his spare time so why not make it a full time job :D

7 minutes to midnite :ph34r:
awrabest, stu

Is this the first sighting of the new Papazian book in an Australian bookshop?

Dymocks, Rundle Mall Adelaide - $24.95. Cheaper than anyone else so far, from memory.

Just in at my local library 2 days ago is "Microbrewed Adventures" by Charlie Papazian, got it out the day it hit the shelf :) I am inspired AGAIN :p doing a step mash as I type [30 min at 53c first step].
We have a good library here in Caloundra. Note; Screwtop and Tidalpete, put it on hold. :D good read.

I'm getting into the new Papazian book finally after finishing the Dogfish Head book ( see review here)
I'm finding it an easy read, but also interesting and entertaining. Anyone else notice the picture of Chuck Hahn at Coors in the early 80's ?
Also love the fact that he unknowingly brewed a whole batch of beers using Budweizer yeast :lol:

Beers,
Doc

Thanks to Jez, again, I'm reading, and really enjoying, this book at present. The Bud story is really funny and I noticed the photo of Chuck ( too bad that there is no follow up re JS). Charlie always promotes a real enthusiasm for brewing.

We need a Papazian does Oz tour from him soon I think.
I'm planning on writing him a letter along those lines..

The great Papazian AHB brew tour

My son gave me this for Christmas. Not only did I find it a damned good read, but each story is backed up by enough recipes to keep me occupied for the rest of the year.

Latest posts

Back