New Mashmaster Minimill

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes this is the mill we were talking about & it's up on our site as well here
We don't have the free shipping worldwide but the price is $20 cheaper at $229.95. Weighs 4kg so only approx $10 to most destinations.

Cheers Ross

Edit: Thanks to all those that have been patiently waiting, I think you'll find the wait has been well worth it.

So what extra bits are needed to enable you to crush? Does it come with a handle? is there a hopper available?

I know nothing about mills so pls forgive the questions!

some of the pics have the #10 gaurd removed to show the rollers. With the gaurd in place at least it will help prevent grain getting into the gears, hopefully not too much flour causes any dramas; but it would be easy enough to clean out.

Kev, the photo is taken from underneath. No issues with flour on the previous millmaster model. You can have the gears full of grain and still be able to crush, although it is admittedly a lot harder (I had the mill upside down once by mistake).

So what extra bits are needed to enable you to crush? Does it come with a handle? is there a hopper available?

I know nothing about mills so pls forgive the questions!

Does not come with a hopper yet, but in the pipeline - Not hard to build one.
The current Millmaster crank handle fits if you don't want to use a motor or drill.

cheers ross

thanks Ross, ok, so you need to buy a handle... Or a drill, cause I definately dont own one!

Not hard to build one? Have you seen me with any type of tool? :wacko:

in regards to driving it is this "key" a standard "key" (you can buy thing to fit it) or is it specialty item ?

12.7mm (1/2") drive shaft keyed for easy motorization, drill drive or hand crank

Just ordered one of these

I'm a little wet

:D

Was going to order a Monster MM2, but it seems this bad boy was well worth the wait

in regards to driving it is this "key" a standard "key" (you can buy thing to fit it) or is it specialty item ?

12.7mm (1/2") drive shaft keyed for easy motorization, drill drive or hand crank

Just taken delivery, the mills are excellent - The key comes included with the mill.

cheers Ross

Ross, Will these be coming with hopper and handle later on?

Handle is available now, as we have plenty of the original handles left. Frank has a hopper planned, but i don't think it's anytime soon unfortunately.

Cheers Ross

gryphon, enlarge 1 of the pics & you'' be able to click through em all including the said diagram

I'm curious re the throughput rate - it took me about 2 hours to get through 80kg the other weekend so looking for something faster. The maltmill (www.schmidling.com/maltmill.htm) has 10" long rollers & they claim it can do 1lb (454g) in 3.3 seconds when running at 400rpm.

I have the JSP Maltmill and the throughput is extremley good. Mine is geared and I can crush about 5kg in 45 seconds, without any real speed on the drill. Driven faster the throughput is higher still. For a home brewer that speed isn't needed really but if you regularly crush larger grain quantities it is probably important. The JSP Maltmill does a fantastic job "but" if I was currently in the market for a new mill my cheque would already be in the mail for one of the new Mashmaster Minimill's. :) No association with Ross or the supplier.

I do confess to being a mill junky -- and it is shiny. My JSP is my third [And they were/are still all excellent mills].

Got my Minimill from Ross yesterday and am wrapped. Can't wait to use it now, the anxiety is killing me!!...

I got the hopper as well but unfortunately one side was damaged. Nevertheless, I have a replacement part being sent so am a very happy chap. The hopper only holds around 1.5kg grain so I will be reseaching how to extend it and am open for any ideas.....

I didn't bother getting a handle as I will run it straight to a drill until I save the pennys now for a motor.

7186390583_c6d592364b.jpg

7186389999_268487598f.jpg

7371621846_bbe0d004b6.jpg

The hopper was packed pretty securely so I have no idea what happened here and the box wasn't damaged either.

7371622382_36807a3c46.jpg

Time to ditch the Marga!!

That clear perspex hopper looks amazing.

Does the 'gear driven rollers' mean that both rollers are powered?

If you went with a Monster Mill with the steel hopper you could have purchased an extension for another $25 that would hold 17KG of grain....they also come with a wooden base. Just sayin ;)

Perspex seems like a very odd choice of material for a hopper

6915577305_5ccf6d7483.jpg

it does look cool, I'll give it that, though I wonder how it will look after a few years?

Yes, both rollers are driven.
I got one a few weeks ago. These mills are awesome, worth every cent of the money.

Mark

I love this mill, but I personally dislike the perspex hopper........

Seems too small to be useful, looks a little flimsy and as was mentioned above, the coolness factor will surely wear off once a few uses have scratched up the perspex.

For $30, a trip to bunnings should yield the parts for a decent sized hopper to hold a good sized grain bill and be more solid.

Then again, it is a mini mill....so a mini-hopper might be a continuation of a marketing plug.

EDIT: SPLOING

If you went with a Monster Mill with the steel hopper you could have purchased an extension for another $25 that would hold 17KG of grain....they also come with a wooden base. Just sayin ;)

Perspex seems like a very odd choice of material for a hopper

6915577305_5ccf6d7483.jpg

it does look cool, I'll give it that, though I wonder how it will look after a few years?

Yes, I did my research before I purchased and was more than happy to accept the minimill + hopper. I don't care how the hopper looks in time provided it holds the grain and does its job so to me this hopper is just as good as the next, if not better imo as it is easy to pack down if need be. I have a heap of 3mm MDF which wouldn't be hard at all to knock up an extension. I shouldn't need to hold anymore than 7kg grain. So I'm happy.

Just saying

ive got the monster mill + standard hopper and it hold about 5-5.5kg of grain...

Me too but I don't see the hopper size as much of an issue. I don't put all 5kg in at once, it strains the drill too much. Feed the beast in 1kg hits is no big deal unless you're lucky enough to be crushing 100kg.

Yeah, I have a monster mill as well, and I only fill the hopper to halfway at a time - I like to check the milling after each small batch.

Probably not necessary but I like to keep an eye on it :p

Are the two driven rollers supposed to be much better than the second one free-spinning?

Back