New Mash Tun

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DiscoStu

Reaction score
Put together my first mash tun tonight, which gets me one step closer to my first AG batch.

Picked up the esky for $5 at a garage sale, needed a good clean but came up well. Spent about $25 on the other bits and pieces and had a couple of things lying around from other jobs, $30 total spend, very happy. More money to spend on ingredients.

MashTun1.jpg

MashTun2.jpg

MashTun3.jpg

Stu

Looks Good Stu,

Good luck with your 1st AG beer. :beerbang:

What are you thinking of brewing?

PB

Thats the end of you now!

Welcone to the dark side mate

Whats your thoughts on shiney Stainless Steel :)

If you go.......ooooooooooo, mmmmmmmmm and rub your fingers together like My Burns......... your really done for.

cheers

Edit: one thought......... are you going to let that just run from the copper extention on the tap of run a hose from that to the bottom of the kettle?

$2 bet that SHMBO thinks that it looks a bit " flaccid"....... :D

Edit: one thought......... are you going to let that just run from the copper extention on the tap of run a hose from that to the bottom of the kettle?

I was planning on attaching some food grade clear tubing to the copper to fill the kettle, assume this is the right way to go.

I'm still restricted to a large partial as my current boil kettle is only 20L :( , I can mash about 3kg of grain to come up with a boil volume abound 15-16L using a single batch sparge. I have some EK Goldings left over from my last partial, I was thinking of doing a Northern English Brown Ale using about 3kg of grain and 1kg of LME added in the last 15mins of the boil.

I just need to save up the $ for a 50L kettle before I can do a full AG. I'd love to get one of those converted keg setups :icon_drool2:

Cheers

Stu

Out of curiousity, what size mashtun would you guys recommend if I wanted to make 40L (and maybe 60L) brews. I ordered a mashtun from the US and it is 48Quart = 45L. :(

I found that a 20L was right on the limit for a 20L batch. I now have a 36L mashtun and it has space to spare.

I use 1.5x as the rule of thumb as my 200l tun makes 300l & the 75l unit can knockout 100l easily. B)

Hence my advice for buying bigger kettles :chug:

I use 1.5x as the rule of thumb as my 200l tun makes 300l & the 75l unit can knockout 100l easily. B)

Hence my advice for buying bigger kettles :chug:
200L Tun - Mate you really don't muck about do ya.
So Crozdog, by what you said I should be able to do a 60L brew with a 45L Tun. Is this ready to Ferment or what you drain off ready to boil up???

Mate I'm still chucklin', that is just magic. Got any pic's

200L Tun - Mate you really don't muck about do ya.
So Crozdog, by what you said I should be able to do a 60L brew with a 45L Tun. Is this ready to Ferment or what you drain off ready to boil up???

Mate I'm still chucklin', that is just magic. Got any pic's

that's into the cube, preboil is more :icon_cheers:

Thats brilliant mate, I was starting to feel like I had covered all the bases and then after you order something people come out and tell ya that you bought the wrong thing or should have looked here or there. Its enough to give you the shits, because I don't mind coughing up the coin if I'm going to do this, but I can't afford to do it twice.
Plus when I saw the photos of the brew day (I assume) I now know that I'm going the right way, so thanks boys.

neat work mate,

i am just abot to make my first tun also.

what is the other 90 degrtee fitting on the bottom used for ?

cheers

brews

Well Boys and Girls, My new Mash Tun arrived yesterday from the US and I thought that I would throw some pic's up. Here's hopeing it works as good as it looks.
:D

Tun01.JPG

Tun02.JPG

Tun03.JPG

what is the other 90 degrtee fitting on the bottom used for ?

The esky I used had a drainage hole in the bottom, the rubber seal on the bung had gone and I had the 90degree fitting and cap lying around so I used them plus a brass nut on the other side to seal the hole

Cheers

Stu

Well Boys and Girls, My new Mash Tun arrived yesterday from the US and I thought that I would throw some pic's up. Here's hopeing it works as good as it looks.
:D
if you can, rotate the tubing so the slots are on the bottom. they won't get as clogged & will probably drain a bit more. i started with something similar, but moved to braid after knocking the pvc manifold apart 1 too many times. A word of advice if that happens - don't stick your hands in even with gloves to reconnect it. 65 degree wort will scald you!! i ended up using a pair of stockings stretched over the kettle to filter the grain out.

Good luck with your maiden mash - you'll enjoy it. please report in how it goes

Latest posts

Back