New Malts

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ronin

Reaction score
Hi,

has anyone notices there are a few new malts at Craftbrewer from what I am assuming is a maltster called Simpsons? Golden Naked Oats (15EBC), Imperial malt (23EBC) and Areomatic malt (31EBC).

It's good timing, my next brew was going to be a Oatmeal stout so I might give the oats a go.

Anyone ever heard of these before? Know what they're like? Is the imperial a base malt or specialty?

Edit: OK just found their website

http://www.simpsonsmalt.co.uk/jps.asp

Doesn't give that much more info than Ross, though I think Areomatic should be Aromatic. Looks like the Golden Naked Oats are a huskless crystal malted oat. Should be interesting.

James

hmm good point. Well. Only one way to find out haha.

hmm good point. Well. Only one way to find out haha.

Yeah I know, but I might wait for Ross to chime in before I go for 5kg of Imperial for a batch :D .

I'm definately going to try the crystal malted oats though.

The Imperial Malt appears to be 50EBC, not 22-25 as listed on Ross's website. So definitely not a base malt.

The Aromatic malt colour is also out by the same degree of magnitude. Perhaps Ross is thinking in SRM???

I like the description of the oats that they are delicious and make an ideal addition to your muesli :p But heck this is surely just the ducks nuts for an oatmeal stout. I'll give it a go during the winter. I wonder how they would go in an English Mild as well.......... hmm.

The Imperial Malt appears to be 50EBC, not 22-25 as listed on Ross's website. So definitely not a base malt.

The Aromatic malt colour is also out by the same degree of magnitude. Perhaps Ross is thinking in SRM???

The importers specs show the EBC values as originally stated on the site - But having just personally checked the sacks, they are definately wrong - Correct specs now on the site. Apologies for any confusion.

Edit: After tasting in the raw state...
Taking a couple of kilos of the oats home for breakfast consumption :)
The Aromatic is munich like with hints of dried fruit, very unique.
The Imperial tastes similar to melanoidin.

Cheers Ross

I can't help myself, I have to try the oat malt.

I actually let SWMBO know that I had ordered more malt, rather than my old trick of saying 'I thought I had mentioned that to you', when the courier turns up.

Hey Ross is the Areomatic Malt (Simpsons) similar to the Breiss Special Roast

If so I want some ?

Pumpy :)

*salivating*

Oatmeal Stout is a personal fav.

I can't help myself, I have to try the oat malt.

I actually let SWMBO know that I had ordered more malt, rather than my old trick of saying 'I thought I had mentioned that to you', when the courier turns up.

:D
"Your memory is getting really bad, I told you last week"

Anyone tried/used the Simpsons "Imperial Malt?

Is it similar to melanoidin?

Cheers,
BB

Anyone tried/used the Simpsons "Imperial Malt?

Is it similar to melanoidin?

Cheers,
BB

Haven't tried it but I've got some going into a Bitter this weekend. 3.8kg Floor malter MO and 200f Imperial.

Back