New Ferementer - Leak Maybe

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DzRBenson

Reaction score
Hi All,

I picked up another fermenter last night, and its got the screw in where the tap goes, now before I put the tap in I cleaned it, and where that screw is it was slightly leaking.

After I tighted this alot, Very tight, the leak stopped, Im going to put the tap in today and test, but should that screw need to go in super tight? and when they put it together do they not tighten them?

Should not leak. Check to make sure there is no plastic moulding bits in the area around the threaded hole.
The tap has a black rubber washer to help seal and should not need to be super tight.

Have u got another tap to try as it may be faulty. Have sometimes found them to lose the seal.

Wash the fermenter hot at the time you screwed the tap in???

I've found that the taps develop way too much give if you start screwing them in just after putting boiling water in that area, then the threads never seem the same and tend to jump over time.

THanks for the replies,

It was leaking with the gromet thing not the tap, I cleaned it the way i got it with the gromet plug, and that was leaking until I tightened it super tight.

I have now put the tap in, and tightened it, not really that tight and it appears to be fine with no leaking, Im guessing it was a combination of the gromet not being tight and the fermenter having hot water in it.

I was thinking of taking the whole fermenter back to the HBS, however with the tap in it appears to be working perfectly with no leaks.

Back