New Coopers Recipe Pack

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah that's what I thought, a bit pricey... especially when my last batch of Euro Lager cost me $20 with malt and carb sugars

Might hit up my local HBS to see how much hops are worth (want to see how much they can do a cheap keg system for anyway haha I'm over cleaning bottles!!)

[quote name='Mike L'Itorus' post='924911' date='Jun 18 2012, 01:02 PM']Gage? seriously, are you retarded? I lift my middle beer-finger to you, good sir.

agree on overpriced kit shit vs grain + hops + water + yeast, though.[/quote]

I'm still a little way off from AG brewing just yet (In the future for sure!) but the more I here on AHB the more I think I should cross over haha

I'm still a little way off from AG brewing just yet (In the future for sure!) but the more I here on AHB the more I think I should cross over haha

when you do cross over, PM Captain Knob Jockey NickJD, because he makes the best BoPils eva. The mans a legand in his own lunchtime. :blink:

Seriously (for a change), in the meantime.....
Get thee to your lhbs and get some ldme (much) cheaper than the coopers packs....get thee some fresh hops (saaz, for a pils), get thee ianh's spreadsheet to work out how much hops for how long, pitch a healthy amount of a quality lager yeast, and maintain your ferment temp in some fashion.

edit: and don't let post count or join date fool you as to who is a newbie, and who knows what's what.....I lost count of how many AG brews I've done about 5 or 6 years ago. ;) Some other people are just compulsive interwebz posting attention whores. Unlike Beerfingers, who is just a whore. :ph34r:

healthy [/i]amount of a quality lager yeast, and maintain your ferment temp in some fashion.

edit: and don't let post count or join date fool you as to who is a newbie, and who knows what's what.....I lost count of how many AG brews I've done about 5 or 6 years ago. ;) Some other people are just compulsive interwebz posting attention whores. Unlike Beerfingers, who is just a whore. :ph34r:

*runs off to his LHBS to expand his mind* :lol:

[quote name='Mike L'Itorus' post='924911' date='Jun 18 2012, 01:02 PM']Gage? seriously, are you retarded? I lift my middle beer-finger to you, good sir.

agree on overpriced kit shit vs grain + hops + water + yeast, though.[/quote]

You put some lipstick and a red curly wig on that middle beer-finger and I'll accept.

Seriously, Mike (who is actually a woman, hence the name, and a great breweress, but has a mouth that would make a sailor wretch onto his own bib) could suck the dimples off a golf ball.

Aren't fresh wort kits like $45? I suppose you still gotta buy yeast though.

Still keeping count of your ego though I see, clitface. :D I wish you could see all the "thanks" PMs I get from showing people simple stuff on this website. Let's just say plenty more than your current post count. ;)

Back to the OP - I would also suggest Fresh Wort Kits. $40 is too much to spend on kit beer.

God I have so much to learn :lol:

Not really.

Take some malt, add some water and hold at 65c for 1 hour
drain water and rinse with more water at 75c

discard malt and boil resulting sweet mixture (wort) for 1 hour.

When wort starts boiling, throw in a small amount of hops.
with 20min left in the boil throw in a little bit more hops
when the hour is complete, throw in more hops again.

cool mixture to 18c and add brewers yeast
keep at 18c for 2 weeks

add bubbles

enjoy.

it really is that simple.

Still keeping count of your ego though I see, clitface. :D I wish you could see all the "thanks" PMs I get from showing people simple stuff on this website. Let's just say plenty more than your current post count. ;)

Back to the OP - I would also suggest Fresh Wort Kits. $40 is too much to spend on kit beer.
I always thought FWK's were hell overpriced, until I saw that coopers special.

I do think it is a move in the right direction for Coopers (even knowing it is overpriced). Getting people to add grains and hops is going to result in people making better beer.

I think it is a good move to start with especially for people who have only done K&K. The actual directions that is with the pack aren't too bad (I disagree with how they treat the grain but have seen worse).

healthy [/i]amount of a quality lager yeast, and maintain your ferment temp in some fashion.
Expurgated post above. I would recommend the LDME, fresh Saaz and a good recipe, and a liquid yeast, to get the right flavours. I'd go Wyeast 2278 (Czech pils). Maybe even get the beer under $40 dep on price of the ldme.

Give me a yell if you want a recipe. You will not regret the upgrade to liquid yeast.

Latest posts

Back