New Coopers Kit: English Bitter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

samhighley

Dyslexic beer dog
Reaction score
Coopers have released a new kit in the International Series: English Bitter.

According to the latest Coopers Club News, it contains Styrian Goldings for aroma, and has replaced the Original Series Bitter due to confusion about what style of beer the Original Series Bitter was.

2522.jpg

Interesting. Might have to try it with a crystal steep and some more hops (maybe some fuggles...) for one of my next brews.

Cheers!
Jono.

Saw the new kit at Coles today - at $20.85 it seems a bit pricey

Not when you can pay up to $30 for a esb tin.
if its a good drop, ill try one.

The er Bishops Bitter from Morgans isn"t bad and its a bit cheaper to. I did it with some extra hops.Not a bad drop.

The er Bishops Bitter from Morgans isn"t bad and its a bit cheaper to. I did it with some extra hops.Not a bad drop.
Seconded. The Bishop's tin is quite good IMO- dark, rich and complex, extra hops take it into some fine and interesting territory. But I'll try this new one too if it ever shows up here out in the sticks. I haven't seen it as of yet.
Its probably sacrelige to some folks, but Coopers International Series Australian Pale Ale with a squirt of dark ME, majority of pale or light ME, S-04 and some hops [edit: late additions in the quick ME boil] does the job too, just not quite as interesting as the Bishop's, a different flavour profile. I'll be interested to see how the new Coopers EB compares to that though, the Bishop's is my benchmark.
[I'll probably get a fearsome slagging for fessing up to all this too... meh... whatever floats your boat. :ph34r: ]

I've been waiting for an English Bitter from Coopers for ages, I'll definitely try this one and will use a better yeast like s-04 plus a mash of three kilos of MO. I've found some of the Coopers kits to be quite bitter enough, a bit of extra Styrians or EKG late hopping would be the go. At that price it will be an experiment only, can easily make an AG for less than that any day of the week but I'll try anything :ph34r: once :rolleyes:

But I'll try this new one too if it ever shows up here out in the sticks.

:icon_offtopic: Out in the sticks... Toowoomba? :lol:

Might make a good kit with the light malt as suggested. As said though, A bit pricey to upgrade a bit if needed.

Cheers
Gavo.

I've got this one on the go at the moment as per the recommended recipe. (Can + 500g LDM). I usually add extra malt and hops to my beers but i guess ya got to try it as recommended first, so not sure what to make of this one. I was interested enough to part with $20 for the can, and i already had the LDM anyway, so we'll see how it goes. If it turns out crap, atleast i'll know what to do / what not to do next time.

:icon_offtopic: Out in the sticks... Toowoomba? :lol:

Might make a good kit with the light malt as suggested. As said though, A bit pricey to upgrade a bit if needed.

Cheers
Gavo.
:icon_offtopic: Yep, granted gavo (who lives way, way west of here, truly out in the sticks, BTW)- I tore the fork clean out of it with that, just a bit. So, you've busted me again! (We even have an LHBS here, so in his eyes we're terribly spoilt!)
Anyway, you want me to grab you a couple if they show up?? Or is the Miles I _ A on to them, gavo? I'll be getting a 'sample' to give it a whirl. Strictly in the interests of research and evaluation, mind..

:icon_offtopic: Yep, granted gavo (who lives way, way west of here, truly out in the sticks, BTW)- I tore the fork clean out of it with that, just a bit. So, you've busted me again! (We even have an LHBS here, so in his eyes we're terribly spoilt!)
Anyway, you want me to grab you a couple if they show up?? Or is the Miles I _ A on to them, gavo? I'll be getting a 'sample' to give it a whirl. Strictly in the interests of research and evaluation, mind..

:icon_offtopic: Ha Ha all in jest of course, couldn't let that one pass. No harm intended. We go to Toowoomba when we want to go to the big malls and don't want to go to Brisvagas. Great town Toowoomba.

Thanks for the offer but I think wait and see what you guys think.. even though I will be doing a brew demo next month at the local show. One of these would be good but I think I will go with what I can get locally and tart it up a bit. Probably a euro larger. Will also be doing an AG for the day.

Nothing wrong with scientific research and evaluation... it does need to be done extensively.

Cheers
Gavo

The web site states 420 EBC and 590 IBU.

So what's that when it's made up and how are you supposed to use that figure?

BOG

There is a lot of discussion about Coopers IBU rating. From what I understand if you take the IBU and divide it by your volume you get the basic IBU... So for 23 lt 590/23 = 25.7 IBU. EBC... not so sure I used to multiply by the kg and then divide by volume 420 x 1.7 / 23 = 31 EBC.

I now stand and wait for correction.

Cheers
Gavo.

Edit: Corrected before even finished, B^%*y hell Butters. 1.7*590/23=43 IBU less 10% - 30%.

I should have just asked you butters. Didn't see you where online.

31 EBC and 43 IBU. Makes it 8C. and ESB. Interesting.....

BOG

There is a lot of discussion about Coopers IBU rating. From what I understand if you take the IBU and divide it by your volume you get the basic IBU... So for 23 lt 590/23 = 25.7 IBU. EBC... not so sure I used to multiply by the kg and then divide by volume 420 x 1.7 / 23 = 31 EBC.

I now stand and wait for correction.

Cheers
Gavo.
Well...
Technically it would be correct to do it the way they say on the coopers site....however, I tend to agree with you, straight division is more realistic imo, even though technically it's not correct. They have the wonderful little disclaimer of (for their example of the cerveza)

This figure represents the brew bitterness prior to fermentation. Generally, fermentation reduces colour and bitterness by between 10 to 30%. So final bitterness of the fermented brew may be anything from 14 to 18 IBU.

straight division for this tin would give ~12IBU. So I would take it as either straight division, or using a factor of 1.2 (1.7*0.7); whichever you are comfortable with. (personally, for volumes of 21-25L, I would divide straight, any further away from the 23L it was designed for, I would use the factor).

Edit: BOG, I'd be more inclined to believe it is in the region of 26IBU as Gavo mentioned; particularly if it is designed to be mixed with 500gLDM. Because that makes sense, to me.

:icon_offtopic: Ha Ha all in jest of course, couldn't let that one pass. No harm intended. We go to Toowoomba when we want to go to the big malls and don't want to go to Brisvagas. Great town Toowoomba.

Thanks for the offer but I think wait and see what you guys think.. even though I will be doing a brew demo next month at the local show. One of these would be good but I think I will go with what I can get locally and tart it up a bit. Probably a euro larger. Will also be doing an AG for the day.

Nothing wrong with scientific research and evaluation... it does need to be done extensively.

Cheers
Gavo
Still OT:
None whatsoever taken, gavo, completely in jest! I should've known you'd be watching my every move. Keep up that fantastic scientific research out there! (Ha, the big malls! Cracks me up! Actually no, you're not far wrong.) Anyway, back to the evaluation.

Even further OT and apologies if this hijacks a thread completely and utterly:
Oh, and I feel I'd be speaking on behalf on a fair proportion of us in suggesting a very warm welcome back to a briefly- lost and badly- missed HBer. Glad you came back to the boards. Some things may have changed a wee bit, some others haven't... Cheers.
[Hmm, maybe I should've PMed. A thousand pardons.]

Does anyone know what yeast (and size) it comes with?

Latest posts

Back