NEW Contract Brewery

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gypsyandthehop

Reaction score
Howdy there all budding and budded brewers. Looking at setting up a commercial brewery about 30ks out of Melbourne to allow people to come in and make their own beer on a proper kit. Would have canning, kegging and bottling facilities. Would also include any training on a pro system that you need to get you up to scratch. Love to hear your thoughts on how you think it will go and if you think it is something that you could maybe utilize to get your business off the ground? Let me have it lads!

Was thinking about whether it would be viable to run a bar/ men's shed seudo pub, would have to find the right spot . Plenty of sport on plenty of TV. If I lived in melb I would be in.

Pricing would be at $1.50 per litre which includes tank hire and training. System looking like it will be 1500L. Cost you $2250 per batch, plus your expenses like ingredients, labels, bottles, kegs, crowns, labour to bottle etc.

Is that your Copack fee, inc or ex Excise and GST?

Was thinking about whether it would be viable to run a bar/ men's shed seudo pub, would have to find the right spot . Plenty of sport on plenty of TV. If I lived in melb I would be in.
There is plenty of these around....They are called gay clubs ;-)

Sounds like a good intermediate volume, I've looked at contract before and the big limit is the huge volume/investment to see how your beer translates to commercial conditions...

That price point is much closer to what I would consider a "next step" from homebrew.

Keen to hear how you go!

Out of interest, are you looking 30km east or west of Melb? I vote east.

Looks very interesting.

More info if you can provide it and answer the questions that have already been asked.

HI guys,

Need a Pre-retail license to sell you beer onto the bars/pubs/bottleshops etc.

http://www.vcglr.vic.gov.au/

Call those guys. Actually very helpful. I'd do that immediately if you're thinking of ever contracting/gypsy brewing.

I can order in ingredients for you or you can provide yourself. Can do with bottles, caps etc. Labels I can point you in the right direction and same with kegs.

Possibly east of Melb at this stage.

Is it sold under your production licence or are you saying we would need our own?

Bit vague on the requirements, if you could shed some light on what licences both you and us have/need to produce and sell.

ie. Are we insured for loss if it's infected in your tanks or other act of god resulting in a lost batch? Etc. Etc.

Yob said:
Is it sold under your production licence or are you saying we would need our own?

Bit vague on the requirements, if you could shed some light on what licences both you and us have/need to produce and sell.

ie. Are we insured for loss if it's infected in your tanks or other act of god resulting in a lost batch? Etc. Etc.
I think Yob brings up some valid points here.

Thanks for the link will have a read.

Latest posts

Back