New Brewer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stiftung

Reaction score
Hi,

I just signed up, and have recently started my first brew. I wanted something organic and something cheap. I didn't have too much luck finding organic ingredients locally, it's hardly a concern for most brewers.

I didn't base it on any existing recipe.

4kg of organic, GMO & Gluten free, pure harvest rice malt from Coles
24lt of water from Mt Donna Buang
50g 3% alpha, Australian take on Hallertau hops (ideally I wanted to use Organic Wakatu hops from NZ, but this was more convenient for my first batch). I added the hops for the second half of the 60min boil, then filtered the bulk of it out with a cheesecloth when tipping into the fermenter.
1 Pitch of White Labs Belgian Saison, used in a 1.5lt starter
I'm thinking of priming my bottles with organic coconut sugar (I just have a heap of it at home)

It has been bubbling away nicely since Sunday 31st at around 17-18 degrees.

I know the rice malt won't be very flavourful but I will try a secondary ferment for my second brew with the aim of a fruity, sour, tarty flavor, unless it tastes like bat piss, then I will re-think!

I'm interested in any other organic brewers tricks and I'm here to learn so any advice will be appreciated.

Cheers!

Keen to hear the results, but very concerned that it's gonna taste like crap. Rice malt is usually used as an adjunct to get malt beers to finish really dry.

If you're that keen on organics, Weyermann do a bunch of organic base malts and spec malts
https://www.craftbrewer.com.au/shop/details.asp?PID=4932
Viking Malt also do an organic base malt
I think you'll probably never see one grown here in Aus
Mostly for the fact that Australia is a prick of a place to grow stuff in the first place, grain needs all the help it can get to grow
And I'll keep my personal opinions on organics to myself...

Cheers, I did manage to find some organic barley malt locally, but I'll save it for the next brew.

Stiftung said:
Cheers, I did manage to find some organic barley malt locally, but I'll save it for the next brew.
May I ask in a non-controversial way - why organic? The end result is broadly alcohol?

dteahan said:
May I ask in a non-controversial way - why organic? The end result is broadly alcohol?
No. I'm not here to start a pro/non pro organic debate! :)

GalBrew said:
That 'beer' is not going to taste good (I'm not entirely sure it's even a beer).
It's a bit of a learning experiment. I want to use organic ingredients that don't blow my budget which pretty much limits my options. I have since found some organic barley malt that I will include in the next batch, and I want to try secondary ferments too, but I am doing it one step at a time so I can taste the difference each ingredient makes.

Latest posts

Back