Hello All

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

banksy20

Reaction score
Hi to the community. My name is Tony from Grafton NSW. I'm a scientist (organic chemist by trade) involved in a second generation ethanol project and spent waaaaaay too much time experimenting with all grain brewing many moons ago, even to the extent of malting my own barley (too much time then). Family and a lack of time came along some twenty years ago and put paid to that.
I've been back into brewing for a little while now and stumbled across the forum. The availability of expertise has certainly changed in the last twenty years. All grain home brewers were few and far between when I started so lots of failed experiments early on. I may be picking many brains as I move forward.

Cheers,

Banksy

Welcome aboard Banksy. Be interested in hearing about your malting experiences if you get back into it. Have fun.

Not a career scientist myself, but I always considered my brewing to be a lifelong ethanol project. 😅
What sort of stuff do you like to brew and drink? What have you made since you've been back on the saddle?

Welcome, Banksy. Organic chemist is a good background and could at times be useful answering questions on this forum.

Old US joke:

Q: What do you call a law student?
A: Someone who was in pre-med but flunked organc chem.

Before the lawyers here pick up their pitchforks, let me note that I've heard that one from a law professor. It seems that some of their applicants. though nowhere near a majority, fit the profile.

Hello Tony, welcome to AHB. What kind of beer are you currently making?

Hi Banksy,

Greetings, wow impressive knowledge - look forward to your posts. I'm a lil south of you just near Nana Glen.
Cheer, Nick

Welcome aboard Banksy. Be interested in hearing about your malting experiences if you get back into it. Have fun.
I had access to drying beds back then so it'd be a little more difficult these days but I'd love to give it a go again some time.

Welcome, Banksy. Organic chemist is a good background and could at times be useful answering questions on this forum.

Old US joke:

Q: What do you call a law student?
A: Someone who was in pre-med but flunked organc chem.

Before the lawyers here pick up their pitchforks, let me note that I've heard that one from a law professor. It seems that some of their applicants. though nowhere near a majority, fit the profile.
I heard that joke years ago. I can tell you that one of my students years ago did in fact switch to a law degree (I like to think is was more a reflection of the content, NOT to teacher!!).

Not a career scientist myself, but I always considered my brewing to be a lifelong ethanol project. 😅
What sort of stuff do you like to brew and drink? What have you made since you've been back on the saddle?
These days mostly Pales, the odd IPA and occasionally a darker beauty. At the moment I'm only extract brewing and dry hopping. I'm currently building up a kit to get back to grain. I always said that if I was ever to get back into it I was going to make it way easier on myself. Mashing in eskys, pouring from kettles, etc, while fun at the time makes for very long brew days.

Down Nana country!! Been brewing long?
Truth be known a tad closer to Coramba. Ah about 6 yrs but I'm not a big drinker and enjoy the hobby 'for the journey perhaps more than the destination', so I've only done 16 brews during that period - including the one I'm bottling today. I'm weaning off the unhopped cans of extract I greedily bought from Coopers and want to start AG - doing smaller brews, 25-30L takes too long to get through.

Truth be known a tad closer to Coramba. Ah about 6 yrs but I'm not a big drinker and enjoy the hobby 'for the journey perhaps more than the destination', so I've only done 16 brews during that period - including the one I'm bottling today. I'm weaning off the unhopped cans of extract I greedily bought from Coopers and want to start AG - doing smaller brews, 25-30L takes too long to get through.
I hear ya! It makes the experimentation a much longer process without an outlet for the product. Smaller brews are certainly a way around that. My experience has taught me that with smaller brews there is less room for error. Everything needs to be a little more precise!!

Back