New Brewer Needs Help

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iluvbeer

Reaction score
Hi, This is my first batch and as i am such a beer pig, i have started whith a double batch of coopers draught (beverian)which i added 1.5kg of dextrose , 500g of Malt extract and 250g of maltidextrin. What my drama is that i will be using 1lt bottles, and im not sure how much to prime it with? any help would be appreciatedas i should have 10 days from now till i bottle them. I really dont want a small explosion under my house.

Thanks, :beer:

Hi, This is my first batch and as i am such a beer pig, i have started whith a double batch of coopers draught (beverian)which i added 1.5kg of dextrose , 500g of Malt extract and 250g of maltidextrin. What my drama is that i will be using 1lt bottles, and im not sure how much to prime it with? any help would be appreciatedas i should have 10 days from now till i bottle them. I really dont want a small explosion under my house.

If you're priming with dextrose, use 6-8 gm per L of beer. If you're using DME, use 10-12 gm per L. If you're using LME, use 12-15 gm per L.

I suggest you boil your priming sugar in about 500ml of water, boil, cool to about 20 degrees and add directly to the fermenter and stir (with a sanitary spoon) prior to bottling.

Cheers,
Michael :)

If you're bottle priming use 1.5tsp per litre.

There is much more to priming than X grams per litre etc. Use a good priming calculator, you need to take into account the volume of carbonation for the style of beer you have made, the FG, carbonation storage temp etc.

Do a search have a look at the Beer Is Good site, there are free ones about. Most important - search on "Bulk Priming" it makes the whole exercise easy, you can also bottle in any size bottle as the whole batch is primed before bottling.

Worst case scenerio you could use "carbonation drops" until you have sorted an alternative.

Seeing as it is your first brew, I would stick with braufrau's excellent advice of 1.5 teaspoons sugar per litre, or maybe just a tad under.

Only bulk prime and stir in a sugar solution if you have another fermenter to transfer the brew to. Otherwise if you add it to the primary, you end up stirring the yeast up and there will be alot of yeast sediment in the bottles.

There is much more to priming than X grams per litre etc. Use a good priming calculator, you need to take into account the volume of carbonation for the style of beer you have made, the FG, carbonation storage temp etc.

You must of missed this bit --->

Hi, This is my first batch and as i am such a beer pig, i have started whith a double batch of coopers draught

New brewer first batch, he's not worried about style he just wants to drink the first batch! huhuhu :chug:

Seeing as it is your first brew, I would stick with braufrau's excellent advice of 1.5 teaspoons sugar per litre, or maybe just a tad under.

Only bulk prime and stir in a sugar solution if you have another fermenter to transfer the brew to. Otherwise if you add it to the primary, you end up stirring the yeast up and there will be alot of yeast sediment in the bottles.

POL always gives good advice, as it is your first brew take her advice. Was trying to help you learn by encouraging you to search on subjects, and also to save you a little learning (the hard way) by suggesting you try bulk priming. Hope you do the research, as POL points out you do need to rack (another search subject) to a second vessel, fermenter or bucket for bulk priming, but you will find all of that info contained in threads on bulk priming.

Good luck and happy brewing.

Screwy

On a side note... Fill in your location details in your profile and there might be a helpful brewer nearby that has a good bulk priming vessel spare that you could borrow or something =)

Bulk priming can be done with only one fermenter. You only stir the top of the beer with a sanatized spoon and slowly drizzle in the boiled/cooled priming solution. You then just reseal the fermenter and wait at least 30 minutes for it to settle again (usually you can be getting bottles ready etc). I've done this on my last 4 or 5 batches and have achieved excellent even carbonation and no noticable increase in bottle sediment. Heaps easier than bottle priming.

Good tip Wildschwein, using the one fermenter reduces the chance of contamination/infection as well.

It would depend on the yeast used. Some flocculate well and pack down hard. Others will easily be stirred up.

It would depend on the yeast used. Some flocculate well and pack down hard. Others will easily be stirred up.

Yeah, maybe. I have to move my fermenter before I bottle up, so they sort of already do get moved around a bit anyway. But the trick is not to use a long spoon and touch the bottom of the fermenter rather I use a short spoon and create a gentle swirl in the fluid from the top part of the beer. It may move the yeast around a little but it's not too bad. 30 mins settling time also helps a bit. My beers always had roughly the same amount of sediment anyway even when I used to bottle prime. I usually pour mine into a glass before drinking so it's not a huge worry. I have used lots of different yeasts (lagers and ales from kits and bought seperately) and the only one that left a very high level of sediment was a US-56 ale. All the rest that I've used were basically the same in terms of their floccuating behaviours.

It's just my opinion; I understand that the general HB orthodoxy is to use a 2nd fermenter and to siphon the beer onto the priming solutiuon before bottling. But I have never had access to a 2nd fermenter and have always just worked with what I have on hand (yes years ago I broke my hydrometer and haven't use one since; I just go by what the airlock does and have never had a gusher or exploding bottle - touch wood). So far things are working well, but I do get all the basics right; like cleaning and sanatation (the wonders of home brand unscented bleach), boiling the extra fermentables (not the kit though), proper temps for spec grain steeps, proper and steady brewing temps etc. These are the important fundamentals that really make the difference to the final product.

Thankyou everybody who have taken the time to help me. As I work in the food industry can get a secondary vessel to decant into and and bulk prime. I have another 9 days till end of fermentation and counting, (hopfully). I have learnt a lot in just the short time i have been on this forum and looking foward to sharing anything i learn also. :beer:

Back