New Brew About To Start

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kc_ksom

Reaction score
Coopers Draught kit (on special @ woolys for $9.50) cheapskate
1kg of ldme Amber
500g honey (probably woollys or home brand)
15g Cascade 60min\boil
15g Cascade 15mins/ boil
10g Cascade flame out
saf ale US 05
yeast nutrient
whirlfloc tab
finnings
water to about 25ltr which should calm the hop a little

What you guys thinking, any additions, less water??

casey

The 60 minute addition of 15g Cascade on top of the kit bittering will make it quite a bitter beer, although the sweetness of the LDME will knock that down a lot. If you want a honey flavour in the end result, you should think about adding it after the fermentation has died down a bit. Or so I am led to believe from earlier inivestigations.

Do you have access to any spec. grain ? As little as a fcouple hundred grams will take you into a new flavour country.

Out of interest, why do you need whirfloc if you're using extracts only?

g'day bud

The tablet came in the kit aswell as the nutrient, hops, yeast etc, its only to harden the crap down the bottom as far as im lead to believe. I was thinking it could be a little hoppy, but I dont mind hoppy beer, the honey was to put a litle swetness through and to tame the bitterness down a little as was the extra little bit of water, I will deffinatly consider honey in 1/2 wat through.

I might only boil the hops for 30-45 mins instead too. Does the iso hop come out of the kits once boiled, i am sure ive herd this, if that is the case, I may just add it all in and boil together.

Casey

Why more water to dampen the hop? Why not just add less hops?

As for what I reckon, I guess it depends on what you're aiming for. Looks ok apart from the confusion about bittering.

My understanding of the best time to add honey reflects the above mentioned by Renegade - after primary has died down a bit.

Does the iso hop come out of the kits once boiled, i am sure ive herd this, if that is the case, I may just add it all in and boil together.
Bitterness is there to stay. Any hop flavouring (usually minimal) in a kit may be boiled out as far as I am aware.

ha ha ha, more water = MORE BEER!!!!

No: more water + malt + yeast + hops = more beer. More water just = more liquid.

Nothing wrong with it in the slightest - just unsure why you would add too much of one thing and then balance it by adding too much of another. If the IBU and ABV sit comfortably around what you're aiming for then go for it.

"More water just = more liquid" WTF, have another beer man, lol... If its all mixed in it will end in BEER!!!!

casey

Yes but lighter, diluted beer, that's what I'm getting at. Wasn't having a go at you chief. Just offering my perspective. I'm perfectly beered up thankyou.

It's your beer so you should brew how you see fit but you did ask for opinions.

The tablet came in the kit aswell as the nutrient, hops, yeast etc, its only to harden the crap down the bottom as far as im lead to believe.

I thought it was to clump proteins after a boil that included grains. I'm a bit confused now, because I don't see any grain on your ingredients list.

Also not sure why there's yeast nutrient in the pack. I have done many beers in a style-framework similar to yours, and fermentation has never been sluggish. Are these nutrient salts or something else?

Finings are also mentioned in your first post (well, finnings). You know they are added a couple of days before bottling/kegging, yes? Not in with the boil.

I was thinking it could be a little hoppy, but I dont mind hoppy beer
I might only boil the hops for 30-45 mins instead too.

No man, stick with the 60 minute addition if you like hoppy beers. It's (your recipe) not 'over the top' but it will be bitter. Many people enjoy three times as much.

Anyway, the answer to your question as to "what are you guys thinking" - well it wil be an OK beer, if you keep the temps in the low '20's.

"More water just = more liquid" WTF, have another beer man, lol... If its all mixed in it will end in BEER!!!!

hahahaha. And that is the ultimate goal. Mate, If you want to make extra litres, but still want a respectable alcohol content - ABV - then 1/2 kg of dextrose wouldn't be a sin in such a recipe. I haven't plugged your bill into Beersmith to calculate the starting gravity, but if you're aiming for 25 litres of wort, I'm thinking you might welcome the extra kick in the beer you're trying to give birth to.

My hack calculations suggest that with your recipe, factoring in all the fermentables you listed:

(I'm assuming the attenuation of course)

25 litres @ 1.038OG = 3.6% ABV
23 litres @ 1.042OG = 4.1% ABV
21 litres @ 1.046OG = 4.5% ABV
19 litres @ 1.050OG = 5.0% ABV

Now, with 1/2 kg dextrose, we might consider:

25 litres @ 1.046OG = 4.4% ABV
23 litres @ 1.050OG = 5.0% ABV
21 litres @ 1.055OG = 5.5% ABV
19 litres @ 1.061OG = 6.1% ABV

Ideally, you can avoid the dextrose, but reduce your total batch volume to 19 litres for a relativly full-bodied beer. But if you seek quantity AND full-strength ABV, then add some dex.

hmm, apologise, are you taking the piss man, cause I think you have missed what I was saying, lol jezz i was just joking around (OK now im serious), mate, thank you so much for the help guys, and thanks for taking the time to do the calculation.

Umm the tablet is a part of the kit that came in this recipe, its from brewers choice, it is part of the gluten free beer kit, I did not buy the gluten free goop just the kit of coopers on special, the recipe asks for a 60min boil, I was thinking the draught was not overly hopped anyway, and was seeing what the board had to say. I could be VERY wrong, hence the reason for the post.

The fiNNings also came with the kit, sorry i cant spelt to gud. lol

The calculation looks like it would sit nice at around 21-22ltrs so I will probly leave around there.

casey

hmm, apologise, are you taking the piss man, cause I think you have missed what I was saying, lol jezz i was just joking around

tee hee hee. Yea, I was.

The calculations were a complimentary service. Although if I'm out your way, I'm going to drop in for a couple, and entice you into an arm-wrestling competition. :lol:

I'm going to put the 'responsible hat' back on for a moment. You mention Gluten-Free. If for some medical reason you are aiming for that, I'm sorry to say that the Coopers Kit, and the LDME, would contain gluten protein. Being that they are both products made from barley.

Please let us know how this turns out. I reckon it will be good.

Nah no medical condition that gluten free will help, lol .. Shit no, just the kit was like under 10 bux without the special goop, and I wanted to buy some fresh hops and also another pack of yeast anyway, so it was the cheapest option, cheapskate, lol ... I did mention this...

So at the end of the day this brew will cost me less than $30 and may end up as BEER, yum!!

Any time your in Forest Lake do drop me a line, its not that hard to twist my arm for a beer, and I was arm wrestling king at school (a long time ago), now im the king of fart...

casey

I did a brew a while ago to test the honey thing - an English style dark beer. Just tried a bottle last weekend. No sweetness - just the aroma - still added a little something to the brew. Mine was in the fermenter from day one though. It did take a few extra days to ferment out - supposedly due to more complex sugars taking longer to break down. I've thrown it under the house until next winter - should be great.

I did a brew a while ago to test the honey thing - an English style dark beer. Just tried a bottle last weekend. No sweetness - just the aroma

The aroma of honey ? What sort of honey did did you use? Sounds like a pretty good addition.

EDIT: @ Casey

So why did you mention gluten-free beer ?

I said it was PART of a of gluten free kit (I just diddnt use the goop) instead i will use a coopers kit.

this is what is says online
Gluten Free Honey Cascade Ale
A sweeter beer similar in flavour to commercial Honey Wheat beers such as Beez Neez. Easy to make, with all ingredients (except honey) included in the kit.

I said it was PART of a of gluten free kit (I just diddnt use the goop) instead i will use a coopers kit.

this is what is says online
Gluten Free Honey Cascade Ale
A sweeter beer similar in flavour to commercial Honey Wheat beers such as Beez Neez. Easy to make, with all ingredients (except honey) included in the kit.

If you read this post, you're online NOW. And I'm saying it's bullshit about the gluten-free status. UNless you have an allergy to it, it's a totally irrelevant selling point. Just make your goddamn beer and HTFU.

Back