Help with a Porter recipe

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
RobboMC said:
With Northern brewer you are pretty much making an American Porter. Nothing wrong with that if that's what you want to make. I often put Cascade in my porter. For a UK version try Goldings alone or a mix of Goldings and Fuggles. Prefereable use Fuggles first in the boil and Goldings towards the end.

There's is no moral need to add chocolate or roasted flavours to YOUR porter. No it won't be in the Robust Porter style but assuming it's not for a comp then there's no reason at all why you shouldn't make your 6.5% Brown Porter. Last year I made a 8% one without chocolate, wheat or roast. Just lot and lots of those dark ale flavours laced with Goldings. It was a lovely strong beer, out of all styles, ( perhaps could be called Double Brown ) but this is home brewing and you can write your own style if you wish and make what you like.
Yeah i think i like to experiment more then just go straight with the style of beer i am trying to make, its quite interesting what you can make when you add something thats not usually in a style (hop variety etc).

So far its coming along quite good, been sitting in the FV since Friday last week. Now i was thinking about transferring on saturday to my coppers FV but as it doesn't have a airlock am kinda concerned it might get infected. Need to transfer as i want to harvest the yeast for my next batch which i will hopefully be making on Monday. So has anyone used the Coppers FV (one with the collar) as a secondary FV?

I usually only use the coppers as my bottling bucket or Primary if I'm not going to rack/dry hop

@Robbo: As far as I am aware, Northern Brewer is originally a UK varietal although there is now a US version too.

In experimenting be careful with what you mix with what. You can end up wit a cacophany instead of a symphony.

RE: wheat in Porter -
I've been mixing James Squires 150 lashes 50/50 with Coopers Best Extra Stout to get me through a short home brew drought and it turns out really nice. I imagine 150 lashes is around 50% wheat so that makes the final drink around 25% wheat.

Definately worth brewing that way.

Has anyone used a coopers FV the one with the krausen collar for secondary?? just a bit worried due to it not having a airlock thats all.

Are you worried about the lid being too loose? You could always use sanitised gladwrap in place of the lid. Or both.

carniebrew said:
Are you worried about the lid being too loose? You could always use sanitised gladwrap in place of the lid. Or both.
True i never thought of that, thanks that helps alleviate my concerns a little, took a gravity measurement last night its currently at 1021 from 1064, estimated FG was 1015 so still a little bit more too come hopefully. Will check it again on monday and then most likely transfer it for about a week before bottling. Just don't want anything bad to happen to my baby lmao

Latest posts

Back