Low final SG

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trickyone

Reaction score
[SIZE=medium]Hi Guys,[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]I think I have a problem with a very low SG on my second brew, I didn’t boil my first brew and it turned out well except for a bit of chill haze “Tastes great” with the second one I was trying for something half way between an IPA and an APA and has finished with an SG of 1.003 I was expecting around 1.010 and seems to have no froth in the sample I took in my Hydrometer tube could I have used to much yeast?[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Recipe.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]11.5 litre small batch with 30 min boil.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]OG. 1.040[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]FG. 1.003[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Steeped 125g crystal malt at 70C for 30 mins in 8 litres of water.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]Then brought to the boil and removed to add 850g of Coopers Australian Pale Ale[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]And 500g of LDME.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Next it was brought back to the boil and 10g of Cascade pellets added[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]Another 10g at 15 min and another 10g at flame out and left to stand for 15 mins.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]A Walflok tablet was added 5 min before the end of the boil.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]The wort was cooled in an ice bath before being strained into the fermenter and toped up with cold [/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]Boiled water to the 11.5 litre mark.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]During the boil I rehydrated a sachet of Safale US-05 yeast in a cup of warm water left to stand for 15mins and then added another cup of warm water mixed with a teaspoon of LDME and left for another 15 mins.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]The yeast was pitched with the wort at 23C and showed signs of fermenting about 12 hours later.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]Dry Hopped with another 10g of Cascade after 3 days and fermentation ceased after 7 days.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]I’m about ready to bottle now, I’ve tasted the wort and it doesn’t too bad, I was hoping someone may have some thoughts on it. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Tricky.[/SIZE]

Bit odd for an all Malt Extract brew and crystal which tends not to add many fermentable sugars, maybe your gravity reading was out. From what ive experienced US05 does not finish that low. Maybe test your Hydrometer with water at correct temp and see what it reads. Would have expected about 1.010 for that brew.

The amount of yeast should not make a difference i don't believe.

Back