• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Aussie Home Brewer and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or click here to donate.

New 3000w Hws Element With Seal

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hanzie

Reaction score
Hi All

For sale is a new 3000W hot water element for $30 + postage or pickup in Gosford. I used one in my boiler and it worked great very powerful and draws about 13A.
element2.jpgelement1.jpg

First PM owns it.

Hanzie

If this can be used on a 10a circuit I'll take it. Can it?

Hi Mark

It just sold. The element is rated at 3000w and 13A ,but it really only draw 12 as the voltage in AU is more like 245V instead of 230V. So technically you CANT safely and legally use it in a standard 10A socket. A sparky need to install a dedicated 2.5mm circuit with only one 15A outlet on a 15A circuit breaker.

In my house though(DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME) it runs of a 10A socket because I KNOW the wiring is up to it(20-28A depending on installation) and Clipsal test their outlets to 40A for 30min. The worst thing that can happen is the plastic outlet can melt(and eventually set your house on fire) but with such a small overload on the outlet it will happen very slow. I have been using the same outlet for a year and I cant see any signs of melting yet.

Hanzie

Haha damn I didn't see your PM requirement. Oh well.

But you seem to know a bit so let me ask you a question. I am planning to BIAB in a big pot (70L) in my garage. My electrical 'fuse box' (or whatever they call them these days) is mounted on the wall in the garage. Should a sparky be able to put a socket right next to that box easily? Is that how it works? Or does it require something different from the actual street?

Cause I imagine if I got him to mount a 15a circuit next to my existing box, requiring under 1m of cable, it'd be a lot cheaper and quicker?

In my (non-authoritarian) experience, it should be very easy for a sparky to install a 15a circuit for you in your garage. Nothing new from the street should be needed, unless you're already maxing out the existing phase (unsure of it's limit).

As an indication;

15A circuit breaker + Panel mount - $30 odd dollars if it's expensive
15A power point + wall mount - $15 odd dollars
2.5mm cable - $4/metre max at bunnings

Add a few screws, a bit of conduit, some saddles etc max about $20

Then it's just your sparkie's time on top. Mate of mine did mine in less than an hour and it was a 6m cable run from the mains board.

as a lecky yes simple as.

but is there room for another cicuit, is ya place an old place (fuses) as if this is the cause u might need to upgrade mains (unlikely) as no doubt the load is already bigger than orginaly desgined for (eg a place built in teh 70's wasn't desgined to run 4 tv, a few a/c, computers ect). a pic of ya current set up would be great

mark maybee a certian lecky can do it for u in exchange for a bed to crash in and a help loading a ute up with grain ect from ross.

at my new place i will be running a sub swich board to brew area as if i use electic elements, a few chest freezers ect it will add up quickly

oh and i also have a ice machine at home that would be good to set up but requires a 20A cuircit

Cheers guys, have received a PM from a local sparky so will look into that option when the time is right. Place is under 12 months old and has breakers for each air con etc already, seems well designed from my (not knowledgeable) point of view.

The worst thing that can happen is the plastic outlet can melt(and eventually set your house on fire)

Have 000 on the speed dial just incase! :p

House burning down only a minor issue...

My kettle with 2x 2400 W electric elements actually heated up the cords a little bit on the weekend under its frist brew. 35 ish in the shed probably didnt help, however it did not overload the circuits which were rated at 10 & 12A (one element plugged into each).

your house is new there will be no drams as every good lecky should allow for 10% extra than as well as have sapre room in board.

Id dare say it cold be under $100-$150 but less than $50 mates rates

Hi raven

It seems like you are overloading the one socket by 2A unless its a 15A outlet.

Hanzie

Hi Mark

It just sold. The element is rated at 3000w and 13A ,but it really only draw 12 as the voltage in AU is more like 245V instead of 230V. So technically you CANT safely and legally use it in a standard 10A socket. A sparky need to install a dedicated 2.5mm circuit with only one 15A outlet on a 15A circuit breaker.

In my house though(DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME) it runs of a 10A socket because I KNOW the wiring is up to it(20-28A depending on installation) and Clipsal test their outlets to 40A for 30min. The worst thing that can happen is the plastic outlet can melt(and eventually set your house on fire) but with such a small overload on the outlet it will happen very slow. I have been using the same outlet for a year and I cant see any signs of melting yet.

Hanzie
There's an awful lot of stupid in this post. There's the obvious "Draw as much as you like from a power point, she'll be right" bulldust. Then there's the less obvious, but equally stupid, guff about the voltage in Australia meaning it draws less current. Assuming a 3kW element designed for 230VAC actually draws 3kW from that voltage, it will draw 13.89A, or 3404W from 245V. You can go right ahead and cut whatever corners you like, mate, just don't advise anyone else to do the same.

Unless the element was made for 220V(other country) and you hook it up to 250V(AU) then it WILL draw 12.3A

As an indication;

15A circuit breaker + Panel mount - $30 odd dollars if it's expensive
15A power point + wall mount - $15 odd dollars
2.5mm cable - $4/metre max at bunnings

Add a few screws, a bit of conduit, some saddles etc max about $20

Then it's just your sparkie's time on top. Mate of mine did mine in less than an hour and it was a 6m cable run from the mains board.

schooey,

It's all about the sparkie's time alright. The bits & pieces are cheap enough.
I needed to get a 20amp dedicated circuit installed for my HERMES setup & clinched a deal with the sparky from down the road for $50 + 46 litres of AG in bottles + parts & was delighted with the deal until the stupid bast**d told his missus who promptly put the knocker on it because he never hit me for his usual $100 "appearance" money. :angry:

Finished up having to fork out $200 + 2 kegs of my best & was thankful I got out of it so cheaply as he also supplied me with 8 metres of 20amp cable as well.
Bloody sparkies up here are on a good thing & they know it.

Could probably have done the lot myself but the thought of hooking up to the fuse box scared the crappers out of me. :lol:

TP

Latest posts

Back