Netflix anybody?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Camo6, have you changed the DNS settings on the PS3 or have you done that in the modem itself? I ask because you may just be on Aussie Netflix if you're not going through their DNS. Your pc or Mac should also be setup DNS correctly. Going to their webpage tells you if your are setup correctly. Obviously any device can be set up easily with and quick DNS change except Telstra modems. They are locked but as above, any device can be setup to get around this.

I'll post the sport streaming site when I get on the Mac.

Cheers Cube. I've setup the ps3 with a new user and a new US based ( my psuedo self lives in sunny California) PSN account then changed the DNS settings on the ps3 only. Seems to be working so far.
I've subscribed to Netflix AU as the conversion rate made it cheaper although I did opt for the 2nd tier option at $11.99 or thereabouts.
Didn't think about changing the modem settings for the PC (it is a telstra modem) and may look into that later.
Anyway, on a trial period for atleast a week so will see whether it's worth it but for $5 a week who's complaining?

Cool. To clarify if you change the modem everything will go through un block. Being Telstra, you likely can't change it anyway so your are left with changing any device you want to go through un block by individual device DNS settings. If you are unsure how to I think a tutorial on his thread would be beneficial to all. I can do this.

Tutor away oh font of wisdom (not suppository of.. I didn't mean that)

I'm using an Android dongle .. Kogan... plugged in via HDMI that picks up my WiFi. Basically changes my TV into a huge tablet that I control through a wireless mouse and keyboard.

When you get to Netflix does the main screen just come up as a web page in my browser or is it an app?

Cube said:
Camo6, have you changed the DNS settings on the PS3 or have you done that in the modem itself? I ask because you may just be on Aussie Netflix if you're not going through their DNS. Your pc or Mac should also be setup DNS correctly. Going to their webpage tells you if your are setup correctly. Obviously any device can be set up easily with and quick DNS change except Telstra modems. They are locked but as above, any device can be setup to get around this.

I'll post the sport streaming site when I get on the Mac.
Be interested to hear.... I've used Vaughlive.tv/afldude to catch the Fox AFL games, but the stream can be a bit flakey on sound using Kodi, not sure if it is my end or the stream. Also used cricfree but don't seem to be able to find a Kodi add-on to use it with.

fraser_john said:
Be interested to hear.... I've used Vaughlive.tv/afldude to catch the Fox AFL games, but the stream can be a bit flakey on sound using Kodi, not sure if it is my end or the stream. Also used cricfree but don't seem to be able to find a Kodi add-on to use it with.
Is this free? If it is you're a legend!

Bribie G said:
Wow thanks Guys. Makes Dancing with the stars somewhat lame.
I'll make it my project of the week.
You watch Dancing with the stars ? Sad,so very sad.
Bribie,you need a hobby! ;)

http://goatd.net/

Use an ad blocker for christs sake. Free means add clicking bait. The site above is awesome for tons of worldwide sports. I've used it for years. Use it with an add blocker no problems. Actually it's the links it directs each sport to that contains the ads etc where the adblocker works its charm on. If you are set up correctly, just wait 10 odd seconds for video stream to start and thats it.

Enjoy.

bradsbrew said:
Wife and kids like netflix.
I've seen this comment a few times now in this thread. Same situation in my family. I however am 90% unimpressed with Netflix' offerings.

Am I the only one or haven't I just searched hard enough to find more than kids stuff and 1990ies chick flix?

Usenet is another option for Linux Distros, Everything is via SSL. No need for vpn's B)

Cube said:
Cool. To clarify if you change the modem everything will go through un block. Being Telstra, you likely can't change it anyway so your are left with changing any device you want to go through un block by individual device DNS settings. If you are unsure how to I think a tutorial on his thread would be beneficial to all. I can do this.
I have a Telstra modem and put the unblock us settings in no worries, works fine.

There are quite a good number of free sports streaming sites on the net. Google is your friend here. The first one I clicked on said under investigation by British Police He He. Do need a fast internet though for clean streaming constant buffering is an absolute pain.

Florian said:
I've seen this comment a few times now in this thread. Same situation in my family. I however am 90% unimpressed with Netflix' offerings.

Am I the only one or haven't I just searched hard enough to find more than kids stuff and 1990ies chick flix?
There's some good stuff. House of Cards and Orange in the New Black are certainly work a watch. Daredevil looks okay.

I was going to start a new thread "Watching on Netflix" however there is a 'what you watching thread' and it would double up.
The idea is that people can show the movies/tv/docos they liked on Netflix. Lets be honest, Netflix has boat loads of content and finding anything is labourish and takes hours of clicking around on their less than easy to find stuff site. So, a simple search on Netflix will bring up some recommended by us AHBers titles :)

I think a format like:

Netflix country watching - show name

Country specific is important as different countries have different content and with all countries assessable to most anyone, why not. If it sounds good to anyone, just search it even on bog standard AU site as it may well be there.

I'll Start: (5 star ratings)

Netflix AU: Falling Skies. Post alien invasion TV series. I've enjoyed it. Think The Walking Dead but with aliens. 4.5 stars from me.

Netflix AU: Shameless. Really enjoyed this TV Series. Totally dysfunctional family. Useless alco Father, Bi Polar crappy Mother. I give it 5 stars. Based on the english version. I think the American is better but only watch maybe 5 episodes of the British one. To much other stuff to watch. The english version is only US.

Netflix AU: Orange is the new Black. Good lesbo prison TV series. 3.5 stars from me.

Netflix US: Comic Book Men. TV Doco following Kevin Smith's comic book store, 'Jay and Silent Bobs Secret Stash'. A real feel good watch. If you like comics, batman, x-man or anything DC/Marvel etc this is a must. Lol moments every episode. 5 stars from me. (may be available Netflix AU, not searched it on AU yet just US)

I'll stop here as this idea may just fade away in a flash and waste everyones time, and mine :)

mosto said:
I have a Telstra modem and put the unblock us settings in no worries, works fine.
Nice. The ones I've had were all DNS locked firmware wise from Telstra. Cable modem FYI.

DU99 said:
I bought a android box,set it up to run from my wifi,and downloaded the netflix app.works good
My android "dongle" that's similar to yours worked a treat. When I went to the Netflix site originally and set up the account then tried to access it from the Netflix page it said "downloading app" but nothing arrived at the device.
When I logged out, went to Play Store and downloaded the app for myself independently then logged back in from the running app, no problems.
Same with my tablet and phone.

It was great to watch the amazing BBC doco "Hiroshima" this morning when the only things on FTA apart from News24 or News in Swahili were obnoxious fat dudes with exaggerated ocker accents screaming at me at the tops of their lungs about food processors, vacuum cleaners and stoneware pans, interspersed with funeral ads.

Next stage is to investigate VPNs and the other tips and tricks described above.

A bit of a hidden gem, I watch it a fair bit. Feck Rupert hey.

Back