Netflix anybody?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bribie G

Adjunct Professor
Reaction score
With Netflix now launched in Australia, sounds like a reasonable deal for around $12 a month. I get most of my movies off Torrenz and not interested in sport so Foxtel isn't in my radar.

Anyone on Netflix?

What I know so far:

You can join to the USA site if you have a VPN
USA more content
Aussie version is more dollars and less content

However it now appears that Netflix will allow you to do an Aussie subscription and this can then be linked to your VPN subscription to allow you full access to USA content as well.

Confused

Discuss

Personally don't know much about it but the better half does, we now have it and the wife is happy. She sorted it as we haven't been hooked up to Austar for yonks and with Austar ( cable) you basically get a lot of useless channels in your package.
Netflix allows you to pick and choose for $ 12.00 a month.
Gotta love that.

Got 6 months for free with optus. Got a vpn so will have to see how that works. The boss (missus) and kids are happy with it. Being able to play what they want on their iPad is an advantage. Will make my judgement after my free trial. Have got foxtel (mainly for sport). Will be happy to get netflix if the value is there.

I'm signed up to Netflx and Stan. Local content. So cheap. Still signed up to Foxtel, but that's purely for footy. Once this season is done, I will probably disconnect.

$12 a month is like $3 a week. Why not?

There's a load of shit on all formats, free TV, Foxtel and ITV. But with ITV, like Netflix and Stan, you can watch what you want, when you want - and in HD, without ads. This is the win for me.

Outside of football - Foxtel is a major rip off.

I'm done with torrents. I prefer to at least send some coin back for the content I watch.

FYI you dont need a VPN, just a 'smart' dns redirection service to get netflix to think you are in different regions..
generally cheaper than a VPN and also not needing to 'route' your traffic via anyone
e.g. getflix/uflix

also every netflix account around the worlds works on any of the different netflix regions. The only difference is
1) cost of subscription differs per region
2) wherever netflix thinks you are connecting from defines the content you can watch. e.g. an american customer on holidays here would get the AU content, whereas an aussie customer on holidays in the states would get the US content (or an aussie customer using a DNS or VPN work around can 'fool' netflix into thinking you are wherever you want to be to watch whatever content you want)

I had the US Netflix with a VPN and ran it through my Apple TV. Apple TV was a pain in the ass so I got fetch for free through Optus and signed up to the Aussie Netflix. There is so much content you don't even notice the difference between US and Aus.

Edit: damn auto correct

I have Netflix coupled with unblock-us.com (legal). Awesome. At a flick of a button on the website I can change to any of about 20 countries of Netflix so get so much more out of my 8.99 Netflix charge. Unblock-us is 4.99 a month and is not a full VPN but gives you an american IP, english IP automagically to supported site so you can get american website tv content (some paid like HBO go etc) and all english TV channels and what I signed up to unblock us for the is the free BBC sports tv. Best F1 coverage out there.

Obviously there is a lot more you can get through unblock us but wont list it. No affiliation etc.

https://www.unblock-us.com/

https://www.unblock-us.com/supported-services

Any other sports I live stream from an awesome website I found that streams all sports, free :) Including SKY F1 but I prefer the BBC coverage Sport via unblock us because I can choose in car camera, normal camera, pit lane camera etc etc. I have in car camera on my 27 inch iMac and normal coverage on the 55 inch TV and pit lane on the spare TV or iPad. It is exactly how I want to watch F1.

Wow thanks Guys. Makes Dancing with the stars somewhat lame.
I'll make it my project of the week.

Can you get this running through a regular, non smart TV?
How does a person with extremely limited tech savyness get this shit happening?

I thought you could get a month free to evaluate it or was that only when they launched here.

To Dave70 I know some OPPO Blu Ray players will stream Netflix and I think something a bit cheaper like a Chromecast dongle might also. Just google a Netflix Media Player should come up with a lot more.

Dave70 said:
Can you get this running through a regular, non smart TV?
How does a person with extremely limited tech savyness get this shit happening?
+1 for chromecast. Works seamlessly with Netflix via the app. I'm pretty sure you would need a hdmi port on your TV for it to work but other than that it's pretty easy to set up.

Having fox for all these years has really left me ignorant to the alternatives.
Cant wait to stop suckling at their exorbitant ad infested teat.

Rambo said:
+1 for chromecast. Works seamlessly with Netflix via the app. I'm pretty sure you would need a hdmi port on your TV for it to work but other than that it's pretty easy to set up.
Now after googling I know what that is. Yes, I have one.
Learning so much this morning.

hdmi-port.jpg

Dave70 said:
Now after googling I know what that is. Yes, I have one.
Learning so much this morning.

hdmi-port.jpg
You've done enough work for this week Dave. Time to clock off and enjoy the weekend..

Chromecast is brilliant. Anything you watch/veiw on your smartphone/tablet is able to be viewed on TV. Youtube movies and music vids. Wife and kids like netflix.

Anyone running Netflix through a PS3? I see they've got a Netflix app now but would rather sign up through a VPN or unblock-us and get the extra content.

Aaaaand...am now signed up to Netflix using Unblock-us and streaming through the PS3 straight to the TV. Just made the mistake of showing the girls the Kids selection.

Cheers for the info everyone. This site even costs me money for non brewing related items...

Back