Nelson Sauvin

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well spotted! Our current ESB is pure Galaxy, but we do tweak quite a bit - Citra, NS and other things.

We are about 2-3 weeks away from releasing ESB in a bottle. The first bottled batch will also be all galaxy.

Just a question JBowers, when do you plan to add the hops? I think that all of the hops that you have named could well have a fairly similar effect, depending on technique and dry hopping. Its very hard to know about the differences between the mentioned hops without going down the Mikellar path and brewing single hop IPAs (or similar) to the same grain bill and technique, and comparing them. BTW, I think that you would have to brew them in the same day to make sure that they have the same fermentation and maturation profile, which I think for determining hop difference in highly hopped beers is critical. These hop flavours in beer are never very stable, and that is part of the beauty and curse of brewing.

Simon

Where will you be selling said bottles? It's a favourite for sure.

Well spotted! Our current ESB is pure Galaxy, but we do tweak quite a bit - Citra, NS and other things.

We are about 2-3 weeks away from releasing ESB in a bottle. The first bottled batch will also be all galaxy.

Just a question JBowers, when do you plan to add the hops? I think that all of the hops that you have named could well have a fairly similar effect, depending on technique and dry hopping. Its very hard to know about the differences between the mentioned hops without going down the Mikellar path and brewing single hop IPAs (or similar) to the same grain bill and technique, and comparing them. BTW, I think that you would have to brew them in the same day to make sure that they have the same fermentation and maturation profile, which I think for determining hop difference in highly hopped beers is critical. These hop flavours in beer are never very stable, and that is part of the beauty and curse of brewing.

Simon

Great news about the ESB. Will the price be the same as the Pale Ale? If so, that is going to become a staple in my fridge.

As I have so much, Im going to use chinook for the bittering addition. From there I am basically going thinking of doing it in even parts as 10 minute and 0 minute hop additions. I've gotten a little astringency early on in the bottled beers life from hop bursting in the past so im not looking to do a huge late hopping schedule. Im thinking about 10 grams of each at 10 and 0 minutes? Might not even use the Nelson Sauvin as that's the one that I don't currently have at home.

Thoughts?

Great news about the ESB. Will the price be the same as the Pale Ale? If so, that is going to become a staple in my fridge.

As I have so much, Im going to use chinook for the bittering addition. From there I am basically going thinking of doing it in even parts as 10 minute and 0 minute hop additions. I've gotten a little astringency early on in the bottled beers life from hop bursting in the past so im not looking to do a huge late hopping schedule. Im thinking about 10 grams of each at 10 and 0 minutes? Might not even use the Nelson Sauvin as that's the one that I don't currently have at home.

Thoughts?

Probably go late with your hops. How do your beers look after a bit longer in the bottle?

Probably go late with your hops. How do your beers look after a bit longer in the bottle?

Look or taste? The beer that had some astringency problems is now tasting a lot better. The issue is, the hop character isn't as strong as I'd like it to be, but when it was strong enough, it had this grainy/harsh aftertaste.

As for looks.. I mean, it looks good? Pretty clear and good head retention and lacing... Though im pretty sure you werent asking that..?

Look or taste? The beer that had some astringency problems is now tasting a lot better. The issue is, the hop character isn't as strong as I'd like it to be, but when it was strong enough, it had this grainy/harsh aftertaste.

As for looks.. I mean, it looks good? Pretty clear and good head retention and lacing... Though im pretty sure you werent asking that..?

I meant "taste" - sorry. Are you looking for more bitterness or aroma (and aroma related flavour)? Bitterness will start to diminish after time as will other hop characters. Grainy/astringent flavours may be related to mashing, and also yeast management.

I meant "taste" - sorry. Are you looking for more bitterness or aroma (and aroma related flavour)? Bitterness will start to diminish after time as will other hop characters. Grainy/astringent flavours may be related to mashing, and also yeast management.

Well, the aroma was fine when it was fresh, now that it's a few months old it is good, but not ideal, but the astringent feelings around the back of the mouth have died down.

The issue is it was an extract brew, so it cant really be to do with mashing in this case. I used nottingham in this case, and pitched a correct amount and fermented at 18 degrees using my chest freezer with a thermostat.

It will be slightly more expensive because of the extra ingredients and the excise - 5.2%a/v. It will be available across Melb initially, but we will be sending some to Sydney also.

It will be slightly more expensive because of the extra ingredients and the excise - 5.2%a/v. It will be available across Melb initially, but we will be sending some to Sydney also.

To the Barossa as well :) Loved last time I had it ( oct 2008 ) Will be hunting it down this October as well

BYB

I think a certain Sunshine Coast household would be fairly pleased to be able to stock HH ESB, too :)

enjoyed quite a few of the ESB last night, next to some Young Henry's and Ferals this was my pick. Loved the malt character and great balance. Will cross the harbour to visit Coogee Bay RSL just to drink a few more. great beer, any hints on the malts used?

Latest posts

Back