NEIPA yeast

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leyther

Reaction score
I'm attempting a NEIPA unfortunately I have been unable to source the recommend London ale yeasts WY 1318 or WLP013.

I have the following available hence looking for advice on which to use

WLP023 Burton
Nottingham
S04
S05
BRY97

I was originally thinking the Burton but they say it gives fruity and spicy flavours however they state Apple and pear which are not really the fruity flavours I would be looking for.

I've never used S04 so not sure what it brings along, only used notty once but was a pale that took a while to condition, was originally disappointed but turned into nice beer in time.

S05 and BRY97 I use a lot in West coast style I know they will do a job but usually offer little in terms of added flavour.

Any thoughts/suggestions?

Cheers

If you can get WLP644 go with that. None of the yeasts you list are really what you are looking for. Maybe WLP023.

I doubt the yeast matters when your dumping in a tonne of hops. I've used 1469 because I had it on hand. Tastes good.

If you are looking for biotransformation of hop compounds then I would stick to London Ale III or Conan. If not then it doesn't really matter.

I'll try the Burton and see how it goes as it needs using anyway.

I doubt the yeast matters when your dumping in a tonne of hops. I've used 1469 because I had it on hand. Tastes good.

Erm, it depends what you are going for. If you're looking to make something that looks like an orange juice milkshake, then yeah, yeast strain matters. If you are not trying to make an "authentic" NEIPA, then no, use whatever clean-ish ale strain you like. I consistently hear that London III produces the best results. I have used TYB Funktown a few times (aka Conan and WL644 blend), and it works ok. I can get some nice hop-haze, but nothing approaching the frothy milkshake looks I see in photos online of some popular recent NEIPA's.

Authentic? This particular deputy vice subgenre assistant version of ipa is about 5 minutes old.

Also one I don't really get conceptually (particularly the haze obsession) but if you do want lots of haze, wlp013 is not the right yeast (from above list). Quick, bright finisher in my experience. 1469, while not as quick, will also drop bright

Authentic? This particular deputy vice subgenre assistant version of ipa is about 5 minutes old.

Also one I don't really get conceptually (particularly the haze obsession) but if you do want lots of haze, wlp013 is not the right yeast (from above list). Quick, bright finisher in my experience. 1469, while not as quick, will also drop bright
Do you even bio-transform?

I'm not looking for the haze I really don't give a monkeys about the appearance to be honest but the best ones I've had do tend to be cloudy. I'm just drinking a 3 Ravens juicy its delicious.

Attachments

• IMG_20170811_223414-1512x2016.jpg
    IMG_20170811_223414-1512x2016.jpg
    622.6 KB · Views: 178
first off, I am a retailer, so just making it clear,

NEIPA, everyone is using WY1318 London Ale III, and its been rolling for a while.

I have a stack of it, if that helps?

Cheers Steve

What is your point exactly?
There is a reason for the haze. The mouth-feel and perception of mouth-feel differs when the beer is super-hazy. This is being done on purpose, not by accident. If one wants to duplicate the fairly large number of NEIPA's available in the States, it pays to use a yeast that helps produce that haze.

What is your point exactly?
There is a reason for the haze. The mouth-feel and perception of mouth-feel differs when the beer is super-hazy. This is being done on purpose, not by accident. If one wants to duplicate the fairly large number of NEIPA's available in the States, it pays to use a yeast that helps produce that haze.

I would have thought that to keep the haze for more than a week you would need to derive it from protein (oats and wheat) and hop polyphenols.

I'm with manticle. Brewers have spent decades, if not centuries, working to get rid of haze. It's a common fault found in competitions. Why are we reinventing the wheel? Include me out, no matter arguments about mouthfeel or hop juiciness or whatever. The only style I can manage it is Hefeweizen.

I'm with manticle. Brewers have spent decades, if not centuries, working to get rid of haze. It's a common fault found in competitions. Why are we reinventing the wheel? Include me out, no matter arguments about mouthfeel or hop juiciness or whatever. The only style I can manage it is Hefeweizen.

i agree. i will admit to not researching its origins but have a feeling it was created through laziness with removing haze haha :D

Back