NEIPA Dry Yeast options

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WLP008 East Coast Ale Yeast works well.
Stays nice and hazy - it's a low flocker ;)

The main thing im trying to avoid is grassy flavors as ive never used this many hops.

Don't worry about that - the idea that it happens from having dry hops in for too long is bullshit. Talk to all of the people who keg hop, leaving the hops in contact with the beer for over a few weeks.
Grassiness is about hop variety, not purely keeping the hops in contact with the beer for a few days longer than usual.

WLP008 East Coast Ale Yeast works well.
Stays nice and hazy - it's a low flocker ;)

Flocculation isn't what you're looking for here. The haze in NEIPAs should definitely NOT come from yeast being held in suspension. If it is, then that's a poorly made NEIPA.
It's about proteins and polyphenols

Flocculation isn't what you're looking for here. The haze in NEIPAs should definitely NOT come from yeast being held in suspension. If it is, then that's a poorly made NEIPA.
It's about proteins and polyphenols

It was a joke Joyce.
However

Just got my ingredients, they didnt have a few things so ended up with
4.2kg 2 row
1kg golden promise
700g flaked oats
250g wheat malt
250g carapils

And no galaxy[emoji23] so got
Summer hops instead, no idea if that will work.

Also no water additions, what could i use instead?
Bunnings for gypsum?
Supermarket for epsom salt?
Really have no idea what im doing with water

Please help[emoji28]
My recipe is going to end up with a ph of 5.69 and fall short on water requirements.
I think ill be fine not worrying about the water stuff but the ph is a worry.
I cannot get any minerals or lactic acid anywhere in my area, tried all homebrew shops.
Open to suggestions.
Also using us-04 my og will be 1.062 but to get my fg to 1.014 i have to mash at 66c, is this ok and will it still leave enough body finishing at 1.014 but mashing so dry at 66?

That's impressive.
It shows once again that there are plenty of geese out there who simply make misleading statements because they make assumptions about a certain style of brewing (in this case no-chilling), or can't manage to do it properly themselves so just claim that it can't be done

woah, really? Im a goose with misleading comments and making assumptions. hmmmm....

When I say tried it, not once, not a couple of times, but over the past decade too many times in too many variations to achieve the desired outcome and it always falls short with hop heavy styles.

I compare that to chilling very hop forward IPA, Pales and NEIPA styles and that is something I should of stated in my previous post.

Im a big fan of the no chill for many styles and for the 30+ beers each year ~ 50-60% of those are with that method, just not the hop heavy ones.

Just got my ingredients, they didnt have a few things so ended up with
4.2kg 2 row
1kg golden promise
700g flaked oats
250g wheat malt
250g carapils

And no galaxy[emoji23] so got
Summer hops instead, no idea if that will work.

Also no water additions, what could i use instead?
Bunnings for gypsum?
Supermarket for epsom salt?
Really have no idea what im doing with water

If you dont have the salts and minerals to adjust it for todays batch just keep it in mind for the next one.

Not sure of your location but I think most tap water is quite balanced with Sulphate and Chloride ppm so brew on.

Also using us-04 my og will be 1.062 but to get my fg to 1.014 i have to mash at 66c, is this ok and will it still leave enough body finishing at 1.014 but mashing so dry at 66?
I wouldn't call 66 'dry' - infact that's the number I typically aim for, well technically 66.6 for some extra hornage in my brews, but yeah, don't stress it man, if you magically hit all your numbers bang on I'd be very surprised, you might but don't sweat it too much.. also, don't worry about your water profile too much this time round, just make notes for next time..

Back