NEIPA Dry Yeast options

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skillz

Reaction score
Looking at putting down a Neipa next week and my only options for yeast will be dry packets, im thinking Us-04 but if anyone has tried it or any others that have worked well for you please share your recipes and experiences.
On a side note do you really need 200g to 300g of hops to get a good Neipa?

Last edited:
I prefer US05 myself, but US04 will be fine.

The hop amount depends on when you use them, and if you chill/no chill your brews.

When I make a highly hopped beer, I put most of the hops in the cube (bittering and flavour) and get a great result, however you need a big dose of hops if you want a lot of hop flavour (especially if you're making a 6%+ beer).

Just make sure you balance the hops with some malt backbone, there's nothing worse than an over hopped, thin IPA.

JD

For more info i do BIAB and no chill. I mainly use Us-05 for most things so no problem with that.

4.1 kg US 2-row malt
910 g UK Golden Promise malt
450 g flaked wheat
340 g flaked oats

70g Galaxy
70g Citra
70g Mosaic

Put one in as a FWH for a little of the IBU and then cube and the usual dry hop

Thats my basic guess as a beginer

The only dry yeast I've used for NEIPA was S-04. It worked nicely. Mash highish to reduce the attenuation. Go big with dry hops.
The best NEIPA I've got was chilled brew. Tiny addition for bittering around 10 IBU. Big flameout addition. Bigger Hop Stand addition and big dry hopping. Total hop bills between 14 to 18g per liter keeping the IBU's low around 40 or 50. 6.5 to 7.5% ABV.

I had my best Neipa result with safale K97. Supposedly German ale yeast but its low floculation and flavor made a great version of Beerco's Hazy Trucker.

lallemand do a dried new england yeast. Not sure if it's available in homebrew size yet though, can only seem to find it in 500g packs

Going to get my ingredients tomorrow, if you could help me out by having a quick look over my recipe and letting me know of any changes i should make it would be much appreciated.
Ps. im a noob so as long as its close and will taste good;)

Attachments

• Screenshot_2019-02-26 Brewfather.png
    Screenshot_2019-02-26 Brewfather.png
    60.7 KB · Views: 155
  • Screenshot_2019-02-26 Brewfather(1).png
    Screenshot_2019-02-26 Brewfather(1).png
    24.4 KB · Views: 147
lallemand do a dried new england yeast. Not sure if it's available in homebrew size yet though, can only seem to find it in 500g packs

I had emails with Lallemand and they dont have any retail stores carrying the dry yeast for NEIPA as the website shows.

To be honest, ive tried the london ale 1318, byr97 and US05 and 04, all with great results and now just use Bry97.

You can get the desired NE IPA style by following a few things:

Make the water Chloride forward, unlike IPA which are Sulphate driven water profiles. Its doesnt have to be heavy, just 150ppm chloride to 75ppm sulphate whill get that bite it needs.

Use tropical sexy hops, citra, galaxy, mosaic, simcoe, el dorado ALL late additions - my guide is 6 ounces at whirlpool, then 6 ounces dry hop for 20L batch.

Dry hop during active fermentation with 3 ounces, when its finished add 3 more.

becuase you are no chilling, you wont get that full juicy affect from the late kettle hops, ive tried it and cube hops just become bittering compounds with little flavour.

good luck, oh and 20-30% oats, this makes its soft and velvety which matches the chloride and huge hop oils from teh dry hopping

Dry hop during active fermentation with 3 ounces, when its finished add 3 more.

becuase you are no chilling, you wont get that full juicy affect from the late kettle hops, ive tried it and cube hops just become bittering compounds with little flavour.

1) You'd be surprised how little difference there is between mucking around with multiple additions and worrying about different fermentation points vs just throwing your first dry hop in when you pitch the yeast, then the second a few days later (or keg hop instead of the second dry hop).

2) We'll have to agree to disagree there, as I've made a few perfectly 'juicy' hoppy beers with purely no-chilling. Just let the temp come down to about 85-90 before racking the wort in to the cube with the cube hops. Works just fine

I dropped the pale malt down to 4.2kg so i could up the oats to 700g.
When it comes time im thinking Amarillo as fwh
Finish boil then whirlpool and let sit for half an hour then cube hop what would be the 15min additions into what i would assume to be 80 to 90c.

1 Would you put these in a hop sock and remove after half an hour or so?

2 is it ok to just through all dry hops in o natural and not worry
Or hop sock and remove after 3 or four days?

Absolute bollocks about juiciness not being achievable with no-chilling - my no-chill NEIPA took bronze in the last state champs.

1 Would you put these in a hop sock and remove after half an hour or so?

2 is it ok to just through all dry hops in o natural and not worry
Or hop sock and remove after 3 or four days?

I just chuck 'em all in 'au naturel'. There's no point removing them from the cube after cube hopping - the hop oils are already in the wort, so if they're going to isomerise due to the temperature, that will happen regardless of whether the hop matter is still in there or not.

Re: the dry hopping, it's up to you and how much beer you're willing to lose/how hard you can crash your beer to drop the hops out of suspension.
I personally sit a bit of wood under the front of the fermenter so that it leans back a bit. That way throughout the ferment and then during the cold crash, everything settles away from the tap and then I can get a nice clean rack in to the keg, even if I have a shit ton of dry hops

Absolute bollocks about juiciness not being achievable with no-chilling - my no-chill NEIPA took bronze in the last state champs.

That's impressive.
It shows once again that there are plenty of geese out there who simply make misleading statements because they make assumptions about a certain style of brewing (in this case no-chilling), or can't manage to do it properly themselves so just claim that it can't be done

Thanks for the info.
The main thing im trying to avoid is grassy flavors as ive never used this many hops.
I actually do lean my fermenter for my ipas and just throw them in but im not going very heavy (30 to 60g).

Sounds like im on the path to success then aslong as my grain bill is ok.

No chill is fine, i have done Rockers Red recipe 3 times now and it is always well balanced in malt, hops and bitterness.

My own concoctions are a bit hit and miss (always drinkable) but thats the fun of trying new things and learnig[emoji38]

Give M36 some consideration as well (maybe for a future re-brew), I did a hazy XPA with it and the colour/haze was fantastic, it also has some fruity characteristics which lends themselves well to a style like this..

Latest posts

Back