Need Quick Advice

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShamrocksBrew

Reaction score
OK hi all
I need a bit of advice I put down my first brew last Saturday it was a Coopers Larger as in the Coopers kit I used all the stuff that comes with the kit.
The brew started at 24C then dropped to 22-20C after the first day
Took a SG ready on the Thursday and got 1012
Friday on got 1010
But now today the only free day I will have to bottle I Get 1020

So is it normal for the SG to go up again

And should I bottle it or wait

OK hi all
I need a bit of advice I put down my first brew last Saturday it was a Coopers Larger as in the Coopers kit I used all the stuff that comes with the kit.
The brew started at 24C then dropped to 22-20C after the first day
Took a SG ready on the Thursday and got 1012
Friday on got 1010
But now today the only free day I will have to bottle I Get 1020

So is it normal for the SG to go up again

And should I bottle it or wait

If you had a genuine 1.010 reading, it can't go back up.

Check the reading again.

What I would do is go back, stir the wort a few times, seal it back up, go watch Bathurst and bottle the brew NEXT WEEK. 14 days in the fermenter will only do the brew the world of good, will ensure your wort is properly fermented.

At those temps and using the normal Coopers kit yeast you should be fine. When you eventually get into a position where you have heaps in stock and aren't desperate to bottle, it pays to let a kit brew go for about ten days at the temperature you mention, before bottling. Less sediment in the bottles and a bit more 'rested' and stable. = peace of mind. :icon_cheers:

thanks all

I have bottled it and when i finish cleaning will put down a coopers draught

I normally drink west end draught, if I get anywhere near this I will be a happy man :icon_cheers:

But i also look forward to the learning this is a hobby that goes hand in hand with my other great love cricket

I Must love cricket cause at 36 Im still playing club cricket.

I intend to put down brew after brew until I have built my stocks up so it can sit for awhile.

I intend to put down brew after brew until I have built my stocks up so it can sit for awhile.
That was my plan too, but I never seem to get there. I've decided I need a bigger fermenter to do some double batches to try and get ahead. :p

Ok I have just checked the brew I Bottled on Sunday

My question is I bottled it into PET 700ml bottles and was wondering how much pressure should be in the bottles doing a bit of a squeeze test I found them to be pretty tight although not out of shape.

Is this how it should be.

Pretty tight sounds right, but shouldn't be 100% super duper rock hard. If you can depress it slightly it should be OK.
If you're worried about overcarbing (and don't see any reason why you would be, just kindof get the impression from your post that you may be.), chill a bottle. When cold, it should be a bit looser. If it's hard as a rock when it's dead cold, crack one to test it. It should be either undercarbed or properly carbonated, but not overcarbed. If it is overcarbed after only 3 days, you might want to crack all the seals on the others to vent for 10 minutes, then recap.

My bottles were hard to press as well, but they should hold more pressure than glass.
A word of caution with this kit, store it for six weeks not two as per video or you will have a nice headache after the first bottle.

PET bottles will get pretty hard before they start to burst. If you're worried, look for a slight bulge in the cap or check the bottom for the beginnings of cracks.

Latest posts

Back