Need Help/guidance Drilling Tap Holes In Fridge.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Acasta

Bro Member
Reaction score
Im having a real hard time cutting a hole in my fridge for my keg taps... I've got a few different hole saws and they just arnt cutting. They seem to just scratch the surface. A few videos i've watched they cut through with ease.
I've tried going slow and using fluid.
Here are the bits i've got:
IMAG0079.jpg IMAG0076.jpg

The metal is about 1-2mm thick.

Im having a real hard time cutting a hole in my fridge for my keg taps... I've got a few different hole saws and they just arnt cutting. They seem to just scratch the surface. A few videos i've watched they cut through with ease.
I've tried going slow and using fluid.
Here are the bits i've got:
View attachment 47217 View attachment 47220

The metal is about 1-2mm thick.

Holesaw and bit on the left looks 'appears' to be a bit blunt. The teeth appear to be rounded instead of pointy.
Is it the drill bit or the hole saw that is not biting? The drill bits can blunten easily, so can the holesaw actually.
Did you drill a small pilot hole for the drill bit to go through first before the hole saw meets the material? Sounds like you are doing things right otherwise.

Edit: gotta agree with Yardy second picture - teeth look like sharks fins, as if they were run backwards. Not saying it IS, just sorta looks that way.

mate, the bit on the left is ratshit, can't really tell from the other pic what it's like, if you can't do it with the hole saw just drill a series of holes with the smallest bit you have.

hate to ask but the drill is in fwd yes ?

cheers

Mate with hole saws you get what you pay for! your probably looking around $25/30 for a 1" suttons hole saw their worth the money you will get a nice clean cut,and like you said use at a low speed!!! and use cutting fluid.
hope this helps even just a bit,best of luck
Humulus :icon_chickcheers:

Holesaw and bit on the left looks 'appears' to be a bit blunt. The teeth appear to be rounded instead of pointy.
Is it the drill bit or the hole saw that is not biting? The drill bits can blunten easily, so can the holesaw actually.
Did you drill a small pilot hole for the drill bit to go through first before the hole saw meets the material? Sounds like you are doing things right otherwise.
Yeah its blunt from my trying to cut with it. Its the hole saw not biting.

mate, the bit on the left is ratshit, can't really tell from the other pic what it's like, if you can't do it with the hole saw just drill a series of holes with the smallest bit you have.
hate to ask but the drill is in fwd yes ?
haha, yes its in forward! I think ill try this small drill bit idea.. i guess. I could also round it with a step drill too.

Im pretty pissed off. Can't get the taps in.. and my order was shipped without the beer/gas lines...

The black one looks like the type you buy for fitting door handles, if so it is made for cutting wood and will not handle metal and the other looks blunt and a blunt holesaw will have no chance either. I cut mine out with a pilot hole and a pair of Wiss Snips, Nice and easy, then again sheet metal was a part of my trade.

Cheers
Gavo.

I think ill try this small drill bit idea.. i guess. I could also round it with a step drill too.

drill with the small bit just inside the diameter of the mark the hole saw left and then clean it up with a file or your step bit, RDWHAHB :icon_chickcheers:

Done and done! Thanks for the advice fellas.
Shes a beauty!
IMAG0081.jpg

Mate sweeet job,time for updating me thinks!!!! :icon_cheers:

Done and done! Thanks for the advice fellas.
Shes a beauty!
View attachment 47223

Looking good! Got any snaps of the inside? I'm starting to seriously look at a kegging set-up. I'm well over bottling. Where did you buy the taps etc?

My HERMS system is almost half finished so it's about time I started another project....... :ph34r:

Thanks guys! Im really glad with how it turned out, considering all the BS i went through!

Looking good! Got any snaps of the inside? I'm starting to seriously look at a kegging set-up. I'm well over bottling. Where did you buy the taps etc?

My HERMS system is almost half finished so it's about time I started another project....... :ph34r:
Yeah, bottling was definitely a pain. I got the taps from farmhousebrewing.com. However, i wouldn't give them the best recommendation, as they were terrible with communication and a few other annoyances. But they are cheap haha.
You'd hate to relax and not spend money! Better get into it!

This is the best i've got of the inside, as my order didn't come with the gas/beer line i ordered... Ill add another when its done during the week. Im going to put the 2.6kg cylinder under the wooden panel, and i have a splitter setup for it too.

IMAG0074.jpg

look's like time for me to get a tap on the door..my gas is run externally 6Kg bottle,if it run's out i can slip the soda stream bottle on the reg.

Love the sticker
A thousand drinks is never enough.

Nice taps and smick job mate i to am setting up a system. Take it they are perlicks how much was postage? and did you get the keg connections beer/gas? One more thing if you don't mind me steeling your post i'm putting 5 kegs 3 taps in do you need 5 gas/beer lines or could i get away with 3 gas/beer and 1 gas? what sort of splitter did you get i was looking at the plastic ones are they any good?
Got to love this Forum so much info so littel time.

Am pretty sure you're not meant to lay the co2 bottle on it's side with a reg fitted, good chance od screwing it. Check the manual of your regulator.
You might be able to fit it in the middle of the kegs, if not leave it outside and connect it through the door seals.

Would this mean you will be laying the gas cylinder on it's side? Is that ok?

Am pretty sure you're not meant to lay the co2 bottle on it's side with a reg fitted, good chance od screwing it. Check the manual of your regulator.
You might be able to fit it in the middle of the kegs, if not leave it outside and connect it through the door seals.
You are most probably right... Now I feel like a fool! haha oh well.

look's like time for me to get a tap on the door..my gas is run externally 6Kg bottle,if it run's out i can slip the soda stream bottle on the reg.
Nice one, the taps really do feel cool to use haha.. even without beer yet.

Love the sticker
A thousand drinks is never enough.
Could you tell me what it says? I mate got it for me. The english part is pretty terribly translated.

Nice taps and smick job mate i to am setting up a system. Take it they are perlicks how much was postage? and did you get the keg connections beer/gas? One more thing if you don't mind me steeling your post i'm putting 5 kegs 3 taps in do you need 5 gas/beer lines or could i get away with 3 gas/beer and 1 gas? what sort of splitter did you get i was looking at the plastic ones are they any good?
Got to love this Forum so much info so littel time.
Thanks champ. They are perlicks. I got 4 send out in 2 flat rate small boxes, which are $16 each, so a total of $32 for shipping. I could have got a medium box for $50, which has insurance but im a tight ass. I got the disconnects for the US too, as there about 10 for a set there.
Im no expert, but you only need to have gas on the kegs yo want to dispence from. You can use one of the 3 lines to carb the keg and it will stay pressurised untill you put the gas and beer lines on it and tap away. Does that help?

You are most probably right... Now I feel like a fool! haha oh well.

Nice one, the taps really do feel cool to use haha.. even without beer yet.

Could you tell me what it says? I mate got it for me. The english part is pretty terribly translated.

Thanks champ. They are perlicks. I got 4 send out in 2 flat rate small boxes, which are $16 each, so a total of $32 for shipping. I could have got a medium box for $50, which has insurance but im a tight ass. I got the disconnects for the US too, as there about 10 for a set there.
Im no expert, but you only need to have gas on the kegs yo want to dispence from. You can use one of the 3 lines to carb the keg and it will stay pressurised untill you put the gas and beer lines on it and tap away. Does that help?
Thanks Acasta that helps alot i' m sold. Just the gas split to sort now the one from craft brewer looks the go. It's a 4 way under 100 bucks. Shall get when I get the rest of my set up from there. The disconnects and taps from farmhouse and I'm done. Happy days.

Back