Need For Bulk Buy Alerts

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

altstart

Reaction score
Below is a copy of a post I have posted in the current SEQ grain bulk buy.

My maths indicate that there are 44 bags on the list before Wobbley thongs post cutting the list to 22 people. Then Jim botla who is at number 17 has posted with an additional 2 bags makeing a total of 46 bags. I think that a lot of members are unaware that a bulk buy is happening is there any reason that when a bulk buy is started the first starting post cannot appear in the < all latest threads> section to alert members that a bulk buy is happening.

Cheers Altstart

My bet is protecting the sponcers. Fair enough too, if everyone here bought bulk buys the sponcers would lose a lot of buisness, and would withdraw sponcership, killing AHB.

It used to come up in the latest threads, until one went dirty.

QldKev

It used to come up in the latest threads, until one went dirty.

QldKev

What happened? Did someone organise one, take the money and run? Whenever I've been in a bulk buy I've always wondered if I was a less scrupulous individual how easy it would be to make money scamming hobbie forums that organise bulk buys. Let's just hope the people who respond to car ads saying that they are on an offshore oilrig never catch on.

You can always subscribe to the bulk buy forum, that way you get an email each time a bulk buy starts.

What happened? Did someone organise one, take the money and run? Whenever I've been in a bulk buy I've always wondered if I was a less scrupulous individual how easy it would be to make money scamming hobbie forums that organise bulk buys. Let's just hope the people who respond to car ads saying that they are on an offshore oilrig never catch on.

Yeah would have been nice to have had a heads up about it earlier, but now that it seems to be heading, very fast too, for a 2 pallet job it might all work out ok.

Maybe bulk buys should have a T&C that participants check to accept when they want to participate, outlining risks etc. then bulkbuys could re-appear in the latest thread section?

For those who came in late, the reason that BBs disappeared off the current threads section was the famous Chinese Hops Bulk Buy of a couple of years ago. What happened was that people who had no intention of participating in the buy turned the thread into a trollfest. One thread was closed and a second one opened with strict posting guidelines, whereupon the same trolls tried to wreck it. After 75 pages, the mods put the thread out of its misery. It really was a shameful episode for the forum. As a hypothitical example if there was a bulk buy on Marga Mills and dozens of members who had no intention of participating then posted in with abusive and smartarse comments like "wattya wanna Marga for, you Itie wop boy like a shagga you sister?" etc then you would seriously wonder about their mental state - but the hop buy attracted far worse ( you can read it all there). One inflaming factor was the originator of the buy who had long standing issues with many other forum members.

Actually, with a couple of unfortunate glitches resulting in two participants' orders getting lost, the buy itself went very smoothly. The hops were mostly crap :lol: but that's not the point, the buy itself went well.
In the case of grain buys which are normally very civilised affairs I'd certainly be happy to see them back in the "latest posts" alerts section.

Edit: actually I had no idea whatsoever that there was a bulk buy on. The January bulk buy finished and we collected it all. Now instead of starting a new Thread "SEQ April Bulk Buy", someone just bumped the January thread and the feeding frenzy commenced. So how many will miss out, as we have no reason to check up on what we thought was an old dead thread? So here's a perfect example of where an alert would have been useful. As it happens I'm right for grain, so I won't post on that thread as I'm not a Chinese Troll. B)

Yeah new bulk buys should really be started in their own thread, using the old 10 page long thread could be confusing.

One inflaming factor was the originator of the buy who had long standing issues with many other forum members.
Another was that he kept stating that multiple people including commercial brewers had tried the hops and had nothing but positives in regards to their quality, without naming any of these people, or any of them coming forward and verifying this. And then when people reported back disappointed at how crap they were he basically called them crap brewers.

:icon_offtopic: Another Chinese buy took place on another forum this year, I actually bought a kilo of new season Chinese Saaz, trying them out this week as it happens - will report ;)

All you need to do is click on "All Latest Threads:" at the top of the box and all will be revealed
doesnt show bulk buy or off topic threads unfortunately.
i asked the same question about 6 months ago, got the not going to happen answer.

View New Posts shows them (which is what I think stillscottish might have been meaning).

right, i was talking about the latest threads box on the other side

Really?

fdfdsfadsdsfag.jpg

read the post above yours.

I stand corrected, barls. But they do show up if you click View New Posts in the controls section at the top - if that helps.

Back