Need A K&k Recipe That Would Be Ready To Drink In 3 Weeks

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drdeco

Reaction score
Hello guys,

So my 30th birthday is coming up by the end of August and the wife was kind enough to (finally) give in and get me one of those Keg-King Kegerators. She gave it to me a few weeks ago, so that I would have some brews ready for the birthday party on the 28th.

I am a k&k brewer but have used extracts as well (if those brewcraft ready-to-use packs count). My plan was to make 2 kegs of beer: one Mexican Cerveza+Enhancer 15, and a a Fat Yak #2 clone from BrewCraft. They've both been filtered and have been sitting in the kegerator chillin` away for the past 2 weeks or so.

I tasted the Fat Yak last night and it turned out quite bitter, more than I expected. The wife also tried it, and, need not to say, is now worried that the guests who are used to watered down beer will run away from the homebrew as if they will go blind or something. The Mexican Cerveza is ok. Just ok.

So we come to my question: can someone point me to k&k or extract recipe that, if I put in today or tomorrow, would be ready to keg and drink on the 28th of August? edit: a reasonably light "wife pleaser" recipe please

I am in the Mornington Peninsula, Victoria btw. Reasonably cold weather these days.

Cheers!!

Andre

Pretty much any k&k/k&b should be done in that time if you're kegging. World is your oyster.

as bum said, since your kegging most will be done fermenting in that time no dramas. A wheat beer would be good as these a good to drink nice and young. Won't be to bitter either, so should be easy on 'un-cultured' palates ;)

Cheers SJ

Coopers Canadian blonde
1kg LDME
12g teabag of Goldings
kit yeast or US-05?

This should be pretty mild.

edit: My wife also gets worried that not everyone will like my HB. It's about the only time I ever buy a slab these days.

now worried that the guests who are used to watered down beer will run away from the homebrew as if they will go blind or something.

Happy birthday!

I reckon your guests will end up liking your beer ... let's face it, if it's free and they're at a party, they'll find the first pot 'unusual', and after three they'll think you're a "bloody hero" :D

If you really 'need' an excuse to brew another beer that isn't too unusual, why not knock out a Cooper's Pale Ale?

Hello guys,

So my 30th birthday is coming up by the end of August and the wife was kind enough to (finally) give in and get me one of those Keg-King Kegerators. She gave it to me a few weeks ago, so that I would have some brews ready for the birthday party on the 28th.

I am a k&k brewer but have used extracts as well (if those brewcraft ready-to-use packs count). My plan was to make 2 kegs of beer: one Mexican Cerveza+Enhancer 15, and a a Fat Yak #2 clone from BrewCraft. They've both been filtered and have been sitting in the kegerator chillin` away for the past 2 weeks or so.

I tasted the Fat Yak last night and it turned out quite bitter, more than I expected. The wife also tried it, and, need not to say, is now worried that the guests who are used to watered down beer will run away from the homebrew as if they will go blind or something. The Mexican Cerveza is ok. Just ok.

So we come to my question: can someone point me to k&k or extract recipe that, if I put in today or tomorrow, would be ready to keg and drink on the 28th of August? edit: a reasonably light "wife pleaser" recipe please

I am in the Mornington Peninsula, Victoria btw. Reasonably cold weather these days.

Cheers!!

Andre

As an aside - bitterness will fade with time (or integrate better) and seem less harsh. 3 weeks may be pushing it a little though. Additionally you can always buy a couple of slabs too so you don't feel like you're forcing your HB on people. In my experience most people will try it - many may be pleasantly surprised.

Try a lightly hopped version of Dr Smurto's golden. Petesbrew's recipe looks ok too.

You could also try dry hopping the keg with the mexican although maybe try a small amount in a glass first to make sure you think the flavours will meld

Get a fresh wort kit - great tasting and quick to get started and being all grain shouldn't need as long as a kit to come ready. Something like a wheat beer should be ready pretty quick.

+1 one for fresh wort, theres one St Peters called 5 malts, very nice and mild.

My suggestion is go a fresh wort kit from Grain and Grape. Get the wheat one, ferment it with 3068 at 20 degrees. Everyone will love it, I guarantee.

Thanks for the quick replies and suggestions. I am having a look at the fresh wort kits from the G&G website right now.

I will probably just leave the Fat Yak keg as a spare for the moment until it mellows out a bit. I quite liked it anyway.

And yes, I might end up buying a slab just in case. Althought I must say that for my wife's b-day, earlier this year, I rented one of those party packs (esky with a coil inside) from the LHBS and had my first keg of beer (mexican can from coopers + wheat malt) hooked onto it. People were surprised it was homebrew and it was empty before the party ended.

It was my first step into the holy kegerator "quest" :icon_cheers:

Thanks again guys
Andre

Just as a suggestion, for a quicker yeast try a pack of Nottingham Ale yeast, it can be used to make lagerish style beers as well and ferments out quicker than US-05.

A recipe that i always do is the Coopers Aussie Pale Ale kit:

1 x Coopers Aussie Pale Ale
1 x 1.5 kg liquid malt extract or 1kg dry malt extract (light)
armarillo or cascade dry hop 15-25gm (optional)
100gm crystal malt or 200gm caramalt steeped (optional)

US-05 yeast

I have fermented over a range of temps from 18-24 deg always comes out very drinkable and takes less than a week usually to ferment
cold crash for a day or two to settle the sediment (no need for secondary) then keg. So the total time from brew to drink is usually only 2 weeks.
It always get better with a bit of age but a good recipe when you need to crank out some fast beer.

Just an update: ended up doing the Aussie Pale Ale recipe. The Fat Yak mellowed out and turned great. Also had a keg of Mexican Cerveza. Party was last night.

This morning I had a look at the kegerator. Fat Yak was gone. 2/3 of the Aussie Pale Ale gone. Mexican full to the top, maybe because no one connected it once the Fat Yak finished. :beerbang:

And it finally happened to me, possibly the proudest moment in any homebrewer career: the eskys with the bottles of commercial beer were still full. No empty bottles anywhere in the house.

Success!

Thanks for the help all!

Andre
DSC06319__Large_.JPGDSC06320__Large_.JPG

Awesome work, Andre!

SWEEEEEET feeling hey Dre!! Well done!!

Just an update: ended up doing the Aussie Pale Ale recipe. The Fat Yak mellowed out and turned great. Also had a keg of Mexican Cerveza. Party was last night.

This morning I had a look at the kegerator. Fat Yak was gone. 2/3 of the Aussie Pale Ale gone. Mexican full to the top, maybe because no one connected it once the Fat Yak finished. :beerbang:

And it finally happened to me, possibly the proudest moment in any homebrewer career: the eskys with the bottles of commercial beer were still full. No empty bottles anywhere in the house.

Success!

Thanks for the help all!

Andre
View attachment 40475View attachment 40476

Nice work!
Had my daughter's birthday party on the weekend. Out of the empties I only found one Coopers Pale Ale (drunk because the dude couldn't find my pilsner) The rest were HB. Yeah.
gotta say, with a mild hangover the next day, the undrunk Cascade lights went down quite well.

Back