Nc 10min Ipa

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have you considered argonizing or french-pressing fermenter hop additions?

I found the french-press added a good whack of hop aroma without consuming a large amount

So would this method be comparable to a 5min addition by what youre saying about the lack of IBU's as opposed to the 15min or so that was predicted?

Definitely giving it a go on the next brew though

Cheers for the updates BF

Sponge

I'm putting the IBU's around 20-22 on the original recipe in this thread.
I was initially chasing ~60IBU, but then again it was also supposed to be an IPA as well.
Depending on the AA's, I would start at a 10-15min addition and work your up to possibly a 20min addition, or keep a 10-15min addition but using say; 20g of hops.

BF

Have you considered argonizing or french-pressing fermenter hop additions?

I found the french-press added a good whack of hop aroma without consuming a large amount

Sure, that's definitely and option, and from what other brewers have said, it works well at putting that hoppy front end on beers.

My (somewhat forced) "experimenting" with no-chill is to see what it takes to achieve the same result without having to mess around the next day by doing a small boil and flame out addition or french pressing.

for the sake of a $130 plate chiller I would rather have my brew day extended for 30-40min and pitch on the same day and be done with it, rather than splitting my brewday into 2 separate events.

It's also to see how much bitterness no chilling adds to a brew.
for me: 200g of 6.8% AA adds about 22-ish IBU's

BF

IMO dry hopping is the most economical way to add aroma hops. I found french press method horrible. Not sure why some people dislike dry hopping, I love that resinous character.

How people can find no chilling more convinient while spending half an hour the following day dicking around with a french press is sonething ill never understand. I tried it once and bought a chiller. :ph34r:

Some of us aren't fans of freshly mown lawn clippings in our beer :icon_vomit:

It never tastes anything like that to me when I dry hop. On the other hand when using the french press method I notice definite negative flavours (sort of grassy harshness).

How people can find no chilling more convinient while spending half an hour the following day dicking around with a french press is sonething ill never understand. I tried it once and bought a chiller. :ph34r:

I agree, but not everyone does all that extra stuff.

I agree, but not everyone does all that extra stuff.

The whole reason I'm doing this with NC...

I don't want to be ******* around with mini-boils or French press's or steeping etc the next day.
I just want to have a brew day, clean up, pitch my yeast and go to bed.
come back 2 weeks later and fill a keg, AND have a nice hoppy APA, IPA etc.
the only difference is, I pitch my yeast the next night which is only a 3min job.

What this thread is about, it trying to achieve with NC what I could when I was chilling.
Slowly, and expensively, im getting there.

BF

Not sure if Beerfingers can post anymore but I had a bit of a try at cube hopping 200 grams of falconers flight in my last IPA... I bottled it on friday and so far I'm quite impressed!

I'll probably open up a bottle on friday night as an early taster.

The last 3 brews ive done have all been single cube hop additions.

Its giving a real nice hop flavour and aroma which I've been lacking in my NC beers.

I normally don't need to dry hop either, unless I want a rediculous in your face aroma, as the large late addition seems to compensate for a lot of that lost aroma.

It may use a reasonable amount of hops (~10g/l) but its been totally worth it with the brews I've done.

Plus hops arent overly expensive, and an extra $15 for a whole lotta flavour and aroma with the benefit NC? Don't mind if I do, sir!

I may one day get a chiller when I have a water tank so I can just pump the water back through there, but until then, I'm more than happy to throw a few extra hops into the cube to make up for lost flavour and aroma.

Sponge

So how'd it turn out in the end??

I ended up doing quite a few NC beers with 10min additions, all cube hopped additions, 60 40 20min bittering additions and the rest in the cube.
out of all of them there was one i was kind of happy with:
20L Batch
94.3% pale
5.7% Caramunich 1
200g of cascade in the cube
London ale III #1318

This one was drinkable apart from lacking on bitterness.

So my findings on the NC method?...
too many variables and dicking around involved to get a nice beer. Too many adjustments required depending on the type of beer you're brewing.

For example:
it's a good method for stouts, porters, Alt's etc, or for any malt driven beers.

For a single NC\ferment vessel, IPA's, bigger APA's or hop forward beers, it's a pig of a method.
the cube additions basically sit and stew in the cube. as the beer ferments, alcohol also strips the vegetal flavours from the hops which contribute to the harshness of the beer.
High AA hops and therefore high cohumulone levels are deal breakers with this method for me. Whereas lower AA's such as noble hops etc seem to work better.
your aroma will be muted without making up for it via a small boil or french press or something at a later time.

SO, depending on the style of beer you're making, depending on the hops you're using, depending on the quantity of hops required, depending on when you add the hops, it's all a bit of a juggling act.
The NC method will work, but if you're expecting to make the same beer as your mate with the chiller, you're going to be disappointed.

If you insist on NC, and insist on using cube additions, my suggestions having done *some* experimenting with NC are:

• As soon as it's at pitching temp, rack it off any hops and into your fermenter
  • Don't ferment with the hops in the cube. Ideally, even for people with chillers, dry hop once the ferment is complete and dry hop while CC'ing the beer in order for the alcohol to strip the lupulin and not any vegetal flavours.
  • Adjust your hop additions in relation to the AA levels as well as time, the more AA the more bitterness (and cohumulone) you're going to get.
  • Forget your aroma addition until the next day, then do a mini-boil and add your flame out then.
  • have a chat to Smurto and Philip about HopHash (sorry fellas :p )
  • stop ******* around with all the above and see NigeP62 for a plate chiller.

I have since bought a plate chiller from Nige @ brewadelaide.com for $130 and have made a Schwarzbier, a Landlord and have a Hoppy APA cooking now.
No adjustments made to the recipie for NC, they are smelling and tasting great and just how I remember when I was using the immersion chiller.

My recommendation is to invest in a chiller.

BUT!!
I was up at (the great) Butters house the other week and tasted his AAA, while not a hop forward beer, it was well balanced.
His beer was NC'd and had no hop additions changed to allow for NC, and pretty much contradicted my findings on NC.

Although I haven't spoken to him about it yet, I want to perform an experiment with him where we both brew the same recipie twice, one chilled, one no-chilled. I'm sure he'll be keen.
I also want to include this in a Triangle tasting session DrSmurto and I have had planned for a while now in regards to AG Vs Extract.

We've both had a lot going on at the moment (especially me) so when we'll get to do any of this who knows, but the NC and the AG Vs Extract debates needs to be settled (at least in the minds of a few of us) once and for all.

Cheers,

BeerFingers

I would use a chiller if I was in a place that had cold enough water.

Even in the dead of winter I doubt the water is cold enough at my joint.

[*]have a chat to Smurto and Philip about HopHash (sorry fellas :p )

Ahh but they went all quiet on that one?? :p I can sort of understand why my sort of father in law thought i was some sort of druggie when i explained the process to him. But IMO it is a viable method of getting great hop aroma and flavour into a beer, massive amounts in fact without the grass associated with large amounts of normal hopping.

Anyone who grows their own hops should try it at least once, you only have to google the subject and a commercial brewery in USA has previously released a hop hash beer.

Hell if i was really flush with cash i would probably by bulk flowers and do it more often as unlikely that is to happen.

Sounds interesting, could anyone point me in the right direction for the process?

Bubble bags and butane spring to mind from my youth :lol:

Ahh but they went all quiet on that one?? :p I can sort of understand why my sort of father in law thought i was some sort of druggie when i explained the process to him. But IMO it is a viable method of getting great hop aroma and flavour into a beer, massive amounts in fact without the grass associated with large amounts of normal hopping.

Anyone who grows their own hops should try it at least once, you only have to google the subject and a commercial brewery in USA has previously released a hop hash beer.

Hell if i was really flush with cash i would probably by bulk flowers and do it more often as unlikely that is to happen.

Sounds interesting, could anyone point me in the right direction for the process?

Bubble bags and butane spring to mind from my youth :lol:

Yes bubble bags / ice extraction is what you want, you dont NEED bubble bags, you can do less refined process using gravity and swiss voile.

..Or a more refined process of subcritical butane extraction :ph34r:

BeerFingers, thanks for the review of your experiences with no-chill brewing hoppy ales. I joined the forum specifically to research this technique and your summary is much appreciated! I still haven't tried the method out, but with warmer weather approaching I'll have to pick out a beer soon as my sacrificial lamb.

Latest posts

Back