Nc 10min Ipa

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
it is a great way to do a brew day and store beers. I would chill in a heartbeat but like yesterday I put 66lts into cubes. Now that is not possible or viable unless all fermenters are empty. I also look at it I dont have to brew for 3 weeks now there is 3 cubes sitting there waiting to go into fermenters.

It took me 4.5 hrs from filling the HLT with water to stacking the washed vessels back onto the stand, I done a pils and a PA so not bad for 2 totally different styles :p I wont lie I did not get to rest in that 4.5 hrs (except for mashing) as My HLT turned into my second kettle and I had to bend and make a new pick up tube to put in after I had sparged the big batch to make way for the use of a boiler. I mashed the pils for prob 80mins then decoction some out and boiled while fly sparging the big batch and had to use the stove top to heat the mash so was running back and forward :p

Burnt my hand from forgetting to turn the kettle tap off and pulling off the QD :S lol used 100g of flowers in the HLT (kettle now for single batch) and they kept plugging up the pick up tube.

So I could get it down to prob 4 hrs if I got a small burner, another gas bottle or ran 3 burners off the one and maybe another pot not sure my 19lt pot would cut it as it was to the brim many times. Also if I had some one to help me it would help but you know you do what you can :p

If I done a 10 min IPA I would prob chill fast, anything I would like hop and aroma driven would go the extra step and chill or just add bittering hops and do a small 10min boil on the day.

BeerFingers, thanks for the review of your experiences with no-chill brewing hoppy ales. I joined the forum specifically to research this technique and your summary is much appreciated! I still haven't tried the method out, but with warmer weather approaching I'll have to pick out a beer soon as my sacrificial lamb.

No problems, PM me with any questions if you want.
I don't visit here too often anymore.

it is a great way to do a brew day and store beers. I would chill in a heartbeat but like yesterday I put 66lts into cubes. Now that is not possible or viable unless all fermenters are empty. I also look at it I dont have to brew for 3 weeks now there is 3 cubes sitting there waiting to go into fermenters.

If I done a 10 min IPA I would prob chill fast, anything I would like hop and aroma driven would go the extra step and chill or just add bittering hops and do a small 10min boil on the day.

that's it in a nutshell.

if you like malt driven beers, NC will work and I think gives you a deeper more complexed flavour.

If you like hop driven beers, or a nicely balanced beer, get a chiller.

Could the use of relatively low AA cascade be throwing out the expectation of bitterness? Could you supplement in some high AA complimentary hop to get the most out of the amount of time it'll be in contact with the hot (but not boiling) wort in the cube?

Also, what about wrapping the cube in a blanket? If you could maintain the amount of time it was at non boiling, but still hot, temps more AA might get isomerized adding to bitterness?

Latest posts

Back