Nc 10min Ipa

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loikar

Reaction score
I just poured 20L of unhopped wort @ 90c+ onto 200g of hops in the cube.

It kinda felt wrong

Batch Size: 20.00 L
Boil Size: 33.58 L
Estimated OG: 1.063 SG
Estimated Color: 16.8 EBC
Estimated IBU: 54.1 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
5.00 kg Pale Malt, Ale (Barrett Burston) (5.9 EBGrain 94.3 %
0.30 kg Caramunich I (Weyermann) (100.5 EBC) Grain 5.7 %
200.00 gm Cascade [5.80%] (10 min) Hops 54.1 IBU
1 Pkgs London Ale III (Wyeast Labs #1318) Yeast-Ale

nice let us know how it turns out!

It does feel wrong... yet so right... Well with 200g of Cascade!!! :icon_drool2:

It will turn out awesome. It does feel weird but sometimes weird feeling things are the best. I have made a funnel out of a juice bottle to get the hops into the cube easier. I am addicted to this method atm.

Very interested to see how this turns out.

Indeed, I must say I don't have a lot of faith but it would be awesome to be proven wrong.

Are you chilling the cube in any way BF?

*edit* and are the hops pellets?

I'm curious to know, wouldn't this be too sweet without the addition of bittering hops into the boil?

I'm keen to hear the results of this as well. I'd love to try a 10min IPA but I don't have a chiller and haven't had the guts to try what you're doing yet.

vannderal - The load of hops at the end is providing the bitterness as well as aroma and flavour. The later in the boil the hops are added, the bitterness is extracted (or the more hops you need for a particular level of bitterness). Being dumped in the cube is pretty much the same as being dumped into the boil with 10min left.

This is one of those threads where I wish I could fast forward time for the results, my last beer was a 10min IPA but I was too scared to no-chill it...

Good luck mate, hope its good :beerbang:

Just be sure to post photos and results :chug:

Yeah, I will.

This is basically an experiment to see how much bitterness NC adds.
I have a feeling I might get around 60IBU but wont have the aroma it needs due to the NC.

I had a bout of infections using my immersion chiller and changed to NC to combat the the funky air that was causing it.
I'm yet to produce a beer that is even close to the IPA's and APA's I was producing when I was chilling.

the 20min hop reduction works to combat the bitterness when NC'ing but there is certainly no up-front hop aroma.
Using a chiller definitely locks in the flame out addition and provides that up-front hop aroma.
However, for a malt driven beer, NC rounds out the hops smoothly and beautifully and my last Landlord was the best I have made due to this.

if you want to read through my change from an immersion chiller to slow chill and no chill, the link is below.
http://brewadelaide.com/forum/index.php?to...g12314#msg12314

so this no chill, cube hopped "10min" IPA is my crux. if it balances out, in the future, i may consider doing a quick boil and flame out addition the next day on the stove, then chilling it to provide the aroma it needs. but this seems like extra dicking around.

At this point, I'm definitely looking at moving to a plate chiller and giving NC a miss as it seems to negate the aroma hops unless you're doubling the late additions.

BF

Indeed, I must say I don't have a lot of faith but it would be awesome to be proven wrong.

Are you chilling the cube in any way BF?

*edit* and are the hops pellets?

Normally i would submerge the cube in a 60L bin of tap water to slow chill.
because I want to see how much bitterness 200g of 6.3% AA of Aussie Cascade imparts in the cube, this one is completely no chilled.

the hops are pellets.

BF

I'm curious to know, wouldn't this be too sweet without the addition of bittering hops into the boil?

that's the whole point of a 10min IPA

a fuckload of hops in the last 10min of the boil.
but in this case, since im NC'ing, im just cube hopping.

vannderal - The load of hops at the end is providing the bitterness as well as aroma and flavour. The later in the boil the hops are added, the bitterness is extracted (or the more hops you need for a particular level of bitterness). Being dumped in the cube is pretty much the same as being dumped into the boil with 10min left.

Ah righto :D

Sounds tasty! This method will definitely be going on my to do list.

Not at all. When running the wort into the cube @ 90ish degrees the hops are at a temperature that still allows the acids to do their thang. if you spend alot of time whirlpooling etc and drain closer to 80ish the results haven't been as appealing and are slightly sweeter than I like.

I wanted to test this method as an alternative way of thinking in WA's state competition just to get feedback if the method was suited to APAs and IPAs. To my surprise the APA was a hit and got 40/50 so I have been happy using this method since.

Try Le Methode Argonoise.

Gave my last Black IPA a beautiful Cascade-y aroma that hung around.

I think this method would work, but it just seems a though you have a 2 day, 2 stage brew day.
I'm looking at having 1 brew day in the shortest time possible and for $130, i may as well just buy a plate chiller when compared to this method.

personally, I would rather have 1 brew day (inclusive of pitching my yeast), have no hop schedule adjustments and make beer as the recipe is intended.

Like I said, this will probably work well, but involves a bit more dicking around.

BF

Not at all. When running the wort into the cube @ 90ish degrees the hops are at a temperature that still allows the acids to do their thang. if you spend alot of time whirlpooling etc and drain closer to 80ish the results haven't been as appealing and are slightly sweeter than I like.

I wanted to test this method as an alternative way of thinking in WA's state competition just to get feedback if the method was suited to APAs and IPAs. To my surprise the APA was a hit and got 40/50 so I have been happy using this method since.

Just a question, how long do you normally let your wort sit after flameout? I normally go for 10min (or until the convection currents stop), whirlpool, let sit until it stops swirling, then transfer.

Would this method need to be done any faster than that to ensure theres not a substantial loss of temperature? I would be thinking not seeing as though the wort would retain its heat for quite a while after flameout, but since youve tried this method on a number of occasions, i just thought id ask the cheeky question

Cheers,

Sponge

Back